I am running for the 1st time

Options
After a year of little or no fitness (illness and injuries sidelined me, big time) I have been back at it slowly since January 1st. It's been a slow process but I feel good about what I have done.

Today, (for the very first ime since I was a kid) I am going to take up running. My work is offering a free learn to run clinic. It leads up to running (run/walk) a 10 km at the end of April. 3 months of 3 x a week should do a lot for my fitness and weight loss

I have arthritis in my foot and degenerative disks in my back. I just had corisone injected into my arthritic foot (and it has helped). I really want to be able to do this. Any runners out there have any suggestions for me. I really could use some support.

Thank you

Namaste, Kristine

Replies

• leanmachinedream
    Options
    Good luck! My advice is to take it easy since you're just starting and set mini goals for yourself - something like, 'I want to be able to run a full mile by ___'.

I used to run but I got terrible shin splints. I bought a semi-decent pair of running shoes and even then, I just can't do it. It's kind of a bummer, because I really enjoy running.
  • fromnebraska
    fromnebraska Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Buy good shoes from a running store and run slower than you think you should.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    From what I hear...running shoes & running socks are your best bet. ;)
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Make sure you don't run with a heel stride. That is extra hard on the joints and back. Mid foot stride is to ball of foot.
  • cms6300
    cms6300 Posts: 163
    Options
    good shoes, positive attitude, and an ipod.
  • tracyfuj
    Options
    When I began running, and after a long hiatus from running, I started off with a short distance, like a quarter-mile. Then, each time I went out (or every other time), I would extend my distance by one landmark -- the next tree, or the next stop sign. It adds up quickly, but doesn't seem overwhelming! Good luck running! It's my favorite exercise, but now that my hips and shins are beginning to hurt, I can sympathize with your concerns about injuries! Be safe!
  • Kassieisproud
    Options
    Shoes make a big difference When i first started running i was just doing it in my chuck taylor's which caused me joint pain But im just fine in regular running sneakers
    Also dont get discouraged if you see other people running faster
    Another thing i leaned is that you have to focus on your breath keep it steady in through the noise out though the mouth its not going to stay slow but dont let it get erratic very very important your muscle need oxygen breathing correctly keeps you from getting as tired
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Good for you, the learn to run group sounds perfect!

I'd take medical advice about your foot and back, but losing weight and getting fit will help in the long run. As well as getting professionally fitted for shoes, you may want to look into gel insoles too.

Here are my beginner's running tips, hope they help :flowerforyou:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Good running shoes are a priority! Most running shops will have you run on a treadmill so they can see if you over or under pronate and then fit you with the shoes that are best for your particular running style!
    Run for time instead of distance! Lots of run/walk programs will start you out with something like run 1 min, walk 1 min, over the course of 20 or 30 mins!
    Relax and enjoy it! Don't try to go to fast! Old man shuffle rocks! Good luck!
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome to the running community! :) Congrats on taking the first step of deciding to become a runner.

Most important things:
    1. SHOES. I cannot begin to tell you how important these are. If you can only afford to spend money on one thing, spend it on these. Go to a running specialty store. Have them fit you for the shoes that work for your stride, running style, etc. If you can't afford them at the price at the store, write down the name and brand and size and look them up online. There's tons of running gear websites, I have some recommendations if you want them.

2. Listen to your body. Running is all about listening to your body, not pushing yourself TOO hard at first and easing into things. If you're really sore in one area or your joints hurt, etc, take it easy the next day. A lot of runners injure themselves by going too big, too fast. You have the rest of your life to run :)

3. Accept that the first month of running will involve pain - hell, almost all of running will involve some pain. Having a good attitude and reminding yourself why you decided to pick up running in the first place is key.

4. Have fun! :)
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Well I completed my first running clinic. While I am not it total love with it, I didn't hate it. I feel good and I did sweat. All in all it was good.

Thanks for the tips and the encouragement

Kristine