Low sodium, high protein, no nuts, ideas???

Options
Pretty sick of the sight of tinned tuna, it's taking too much of my daily sodium levels also. I don't like ANY kind of nuts. Does anyone know a good source of protein that is low in sodium? I have an open diary so people can see my usual foods, today I'm eating what I feel like so it's not typical (but all the numbers are still green so it's all good!) :wink:

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Nuts aren't really high in protein.

How about greek yogurt? 12g pro for 150g serving. Also, you could buy some whey protein if you felt the need to supplement.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogourt is one of my favs.

Eggs are good for protein, too, or any other low-fat meat, like grilled chicken.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Pretty sick of the sight of tinned tuna, it's taking too much of my daily sodium levels also. I don't like ANY kind of nuts. Does anyone know a good source of protein that is low in sodium? I have an open diary so people can see my usual foods, today I'm eating what I feel like so it's not typical (but all the numbers are still green so it's all good!) :wink:

edamame, chicken breast (with mrs. dash), protein powder, greek yogurt
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs but dont eat the yolk. (I save the yolks for my cat) They have no fat and only have 17 calories. You obviously wouldnt want this for an entire meal but you could eat it plain, add to salads, etc.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Tofu. Eggs. Eat the yolk. It has so few calories and is full of good stuff. Why don't you just rinse the tinned tuna through a sieve before eating it, to wash off the brine? That's what I do...works fine...
  • JustJanis
    Options
    Salmon, chicken breast, egg whites, greek yogurt. Lots of different ways you can incorporate these foods into daily meals and change them up all the time. You want less sodium, try less pre-packaged and processed foods. Prepare meals yourself with FRESH ingredients instead of box, can and freezer meals. Its the truth, pre-packaged foods have all that sodium for preserving. Eat from the earth and you cant go wrong
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    hard boiled egg whites - i actually fill mine with red pepper hummus so they are like deviled eggs!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I agree on the Greek Yogurt. I've been eating it with Blueberries for breakfast. Chicken breast is really one of the best sources of protein for the calories per gram. I also like to do Krakus ham (low sodium) as it's high in protein as well. AND then like others said there is eggs. I like boiled ones chopped up in my tuna or on a salad with chicken. OR you can do scrambled with some shredded cheese or a bit of ham (2 oz) and get a lot of protein!

Oh and don't forget a nice juicy medium cooked steak!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    In addition to what's already been mentioned, shrimp is almost all protein. Beans (white, kidney, pinto, etc.) are also low sodium if you buy them and make them yourself or rinse the canned ones. In addition, beans are very high in potassium.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Lots of lovely sounding food to put on the shopping list :smile: