HRM Advice needed!

Options
Hey, so I'm thinking of buying a HRM so I can better track my calories burned at Zumba class, and to check to see if the calories burned that show up on my treadmill are even close to accurate. I checked out Amazon and they range in price from about $20 to over $200 - how much should I spend? Do the more expensive ones just have more options or are they actually better at calculating burns? Any advice is welcomed!

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    This was a great help to me, hopefully you'll get your answers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Polar brand is the most popular, you can get a decent one for about $65. Go to the Polar website and do some comparisons, then buy it on Amazon, or at a store. Make sure you buy one with a chest strap transmitter. Otherwise you are just counting your own heartbeats. By hand, basically. You can do that with a $10 watch.
  • jpowers416
    jpowers416 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the New Balance N4. I got it off of Amazon for about $65.00. I LOVE this HRM. It tracks your HR (obviously) as well as time, calories burned and can save up to 5 workouts at a time. It comes with both a chest strap and a watch so you can see your HR throughout your workout. I highly recommend this HRM!
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    I just got the Polar FT4 for $50 on Amazon. IT'S AWESOME!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 as well - found it brand new on eBay for $26. Target has them for $69.99 I think. Read all the info here on the boards (search for HRM or heart rate monitor), figure out what you want in your HRM, then shop around online. Read all the user reviews for those models you're interested in on Amazon - super helpful.
  • redheadkob
    Options
    This was a great help to me, hopefully you'll get your answers.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Polar brand is the most popular, you can get a decent one for about $65. Go to the Polar website and do some comparisons, then buy it on Amazon, or at a store. Make sure you buy one with a chest strap transmitter. Otherwise you are just counting your own heartbeats. By hand, basically. You can do that with a $10 watch.

Thank you so much - that's a great read. I'm new to all of this!