Eating Out

Options
What are some of the best low calorie FILLING meals at restaurants? Doesn't help if they are only 500 calories, but you are starving 30 minutes later. Low cost would be great too.

Replies

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    That is too vague of a question. What kind of restaurant? Filling up on protein and veggies with minimal extras(butter, sauces, cheese,e tc) is probably the healthiest way to go.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    With those criteria, I'd recommend Subway. Stick to the sandwiches which are listed as being under 300 calories. If you're more hungry, get a footlong instead of a 6" and put the filling from the second half into the bread from the first half. Footlongs are only $5 this month.
  • shariTN
    Options
    That is too vague of a question. What kind of restaurant? Filling up on protein and veggies with minimal extras(butter, sauces, cheese,e tc) is probably the healthiest way to go.

Sorry was thinking more along the lines of sit down restaurants. Red Lobster, Ruby Tuesdays, Applebee's, etc.
  • shariTN
    Options
    With those criteria, I'd recommend Subway. Stick to the sandwiches which are listed as being under 300 calories. If you're more hungry, get a footlong instead of a 6" and put the filling from the second half into the bread from the first half. Footlongs are only $5 this month.

That is an awesome idea!
  • mellers1313
    mellers1313 Posts: 105 Member
    Options

Now that is an excellent idea. Thanks for the tip.... xx
  • jcgodsey
    Options
    Try Applebee's. They've got several portions under 550 calories and they are filling.
  • pam_williams
    pam_williams Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Check the restaurants web-sites for nutritional info. Most have it available or will provide it on request. I've been doing this to pre-plan what I order. It helps keep me on track when I go out to eat.

Personally, I love McAlisters Deli. I can have a meal for under 500 calories and not feel deprived or hungry later.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Why even go?
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've found almost any restaurant will grill a piece of fish or chicken and steam some veggies....just ask. It's something I learned in Weight Watchers, you don't always have to stick to the menu....unless it is a soup or casserole or something premade or frozen, they will often accomodate when possible, so just ask. There is a BBQ joint near me that will do a $4 chicken breast on the side and a $4 side of steamed aspargus, I ask for there BBQ sauce and it's a full meal!

Also, I know you didn't want fast food, but jimmy john's in lettuce wrap (unwich) are really low. Turkey tom this way is under 100 calories....
  • mikibeth
    mikibeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I always order salads to be on the safe side. Load up on water and tea with the meal.
    I always order a salad with lean meat and tons of veggies.
    I order my dressing on the side.
    If I'm feeling hungry I order a bowl of fruit with it.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Eating out is almost impossible im my opinion, just something you have to pretty much cut out of your life unfortanately.....what's the joy in going out to eat and you can't eat anything, just eat at home unless you want to blow your calories everytime you go out......sucks, I know........
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Applebee's is my restauant of choice! They have 6 different under 550 calorie meals that are awesome. You won't be hungry in an hour! Their sirloin and herbed shrimp is delish! Plus you can go online and download all the nutritional info so that you can track it. Several of the under 550 meals are already in MFP's database!
    Many of the sit downs have "lite" options nowadays and most of their nutritional info can be downloaded off their websites as well!

Good luck to you!

Must add though that the sodium for most restaurant food is off the chart!
  • Melyssaks
    Melyssaks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Since I only work part time I'm always watching my money. I find that many of the healthier options (like meat/ veggies or a nice salad with more then lettuce on it) can get pretty pricey. I usually go with some kind of grilled chicken sandwich (these are usually around 400 calories most places) with a side salad (dressing on the side). It ends up being about 500-600 calories and fills me up. Hope that helps!
  • mspears1198
    mspears1198 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You could opt for low calories options. The resturants you mentioned have good options. Or you can get a regular meal and only eat half of it and place the remaining portion in a box. I have found the low calorie options are very small portions. Also, you have do better filling up on veggies and ordering a protein from the appetizers menu. I hope this helps.
  • kelfromhell
    kelfromhell Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh, another standby is ordering a plain baked potato, with a side of salsa....
  • shariTN
    Options
    Why even go?

I enjoy it. I raised a house full of youngans and cooked huge meals for years. I stayed home and cleaned and cook. We were always broke and never went out to eat. I am now remarried most of my children are out of the house or pretty independent and my new husband loves to take me out to eat! I love been waited on every now and then! ;-)
  • mgdiock
    mgdiock Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Try Applebee's. They've got several portions under 550 calories and they are filling.

Yes. I love the steak and portabello filled with creamed spinich....YUM!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Subway is good... Ill usually get a KIDS blackforest ham, with a chicken noodle soup, and apple chips. About 350 calories.

Applebees has a good steak/double veggie dish thats under 600 calories. The protien and veggies always keep me full.

Our local grocery store has wraps that have turkey, cranberry creamcheese and a lot of lettuce, only 368 calories for 2 huge ones.

Chili’s has a dish that’s like a Chicken… something. Lol sorry for the vagueness. It’s kind of like a wrap, but it’s DELICIOUS. It’s one of their fit meals and its under 600 calories. It gets served with a side of corn on the cobb. Nummy.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Why even go?

really? everyone should still get out there and enjoy somewhat of a normal outing! boy life would be pretty boring and redundant is you never went out! just be smart about it and you'll be fine. you are allowed to go over your calories once in awhile if your smart about it and it's not all the time! why live a life that is so strict that you can't even go out and enjoy yourself? not the way i would want to live my life, that's forsure.... like many said, applebees is a good choice...
  • crimsonson77
    Options
    I have had this problem since starting my journey in January. I eat out every day for lunch. I work with my dad and we have always eaten out. So instead of breaking his habits to fit my new lifestyle, I adapted. I have been to numerous restaurants to where I thought I would not be able to stick with it. But here's the truth, there is something at every place I have been to that is low in fat, calories, sodium, etc that I can eat, that fits my dietary guidelines. If you have a smartphone, Google the restaurant you are going to and check the nutritional info before you get there or while you are waiting.