When/ what to eat before and after a work out.

Options
Hello everyone!
I actually have 2 questions. I will post them in two different threads though.

I'm wondering when and what to eat before and after a work out. I'm looking into getting a protein shake for afterwards but I would like one that is low in calories and still tastes good. Does it exist?

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. Eat before if it helps you perform better. Eat after if you're hungry.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    protein shakes are an acquired taste, like beer and coffee =) If you go to a complete nutrition or GNC or something similar they often have samples of different shakes to try, also GNC will let you return it if you hate it.
  • Amalthia79
    Options
    I am enjoying making a shake with Jillian Michael's whey protein powder. I slice up a banana the night before and freeze it. I put it and the powder and some milk or water in a blender and it tastes great! So far I have only tried her Vanilla cream flavor but I am getting some of the chocolate next time!
  • dsuppa1997
    Options
    I drink one of these after every workout, 25g protein and only 120 calories. I also eat a Pure Protein Bar before workout for the extra energy 200 calories and 20g protein.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3267268
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Good Tasting Shakes, we like (mixed with water) Can also be mixed with milk for better flavor, but more calories. All mix super easy, I like a Blender Ball Bottle. (Walmart, and Amazon have them, GNC has their version also)

Optimal Nutrition 100% Gold Whey - 120 Cal, 24 grams protein per scoop, Banana Cream is my fav, Milk Chocolates okay, and Cake Batter is supposed to be great, have not tried it yet.

BSN Dessert Lean, -150 cals, 20 grams protein, Banana, banana nut, chocolate fudge (its very thick) chocolate coconut, strawberry - all good

BSN Syntha 6, 200 cals per scoop, 20 grams protein, Chocolate, Banana, strawberry, cookie and cream - all good, best flavors overall, then other two, but higher cal, want to try their new chocolate cake batter soon. :)

Best places to buy varies, depending on whose running sales etc. Amazon.con, Bodybuilding.com, Vitacost.com, GNC, but only during Gold Card week, and/or when they have sales (sometimes), other sources online also can be prices good, so shop around, after you find the one you like. (GNC takes returns within a short time frame)

The Supreme Protein Carb Conscience bars are yummy, I like the smaller ones with 15 grams of protein, but they are higher in calories (200-290) Caramel chocolate, Caramel Peanut butter, Peanut Butter pretzel twist. They also have a 30 gram protein bar, much larger, and higher cal count.

The Marathon Snickers bars in Chocolate caramel, or chocolate nut are also good. About 300 cals, and around 20 grams of protein,