Mashed Cauliflower

Options
jamielbeck
jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
Has anyone made it before? Looking for a recipe to make this tonight.
Thank you!!! :smile:

Replies

• jamielbeck
    Options
    Has anyone made it before? Looking for a recipe to make this tonight.
    Thank you!!! :smile:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I've made it... but didn't really use a "recipe". I just broke the cauliflower into tiny pieces and boiled it until soft. I put 1/2 of it in the blender and blended it to the consistency of mashed potatoes. Then I added lowfat sour cream, and lowfat cheese and mixed. I microwaved it until the cheese was melted. Salted and Peppered to taste and served.

Just as a warning - it does not taste anything like potatos... but if you're like me and the potatoes (or cauliflower) are simply a vehicle for the sour cream and cheese... it's good!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Our recipe is this:

cauliflower, garlic powder, low fat sour cream, parmegan cheese

we use a hand blender (love that thing), she's right though, it doesn't taste
    a lot like mashed potatos, it's closer to squash then anything as far as taste
    goes, but milder. It is quite good though.
  • vanessadawn
    vanessadawn Posts: 249
    Options
    HG's Miracle Mashies

PER SERVING (1/5th of recipe, about 2/3 cup): 82 calories, 1g fat, 168mg sodium, 16g carbs, 3g fiber, 2g sugars, 3g protein -- POINTS® value 1*

Mixing cauliflower and potato is a GREAT way to get true mashed potato taste and texture, with a healthier, lower calorie spin. Woohoo!

Ingredients:
    1 large (about 13-oz.) potato
    3 cups cauliflower florets
    3 tbsp. fat-free half & half
    1 tbsp. light whipped butter or light buttery spread
    1/4 tsp. salt
    pepper and additional salt, to taste
    Optional: 1/2 tsp. crushed garlic

Directions:
    Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While waiting for the water to boil, peel and cube the potato.

Once water is boiling, add peeled potato cubes and cauliflower. Wait for the water to return to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes (until potatoes and cauliflower are very tender).

Remove the pot from heat and strain out all of the water. Transfer contents to a large bowl, and add half & half, butter/buttery spread, salt, and (if you like) crushed garlic. Mash it all together with a potato masher, until completely blended. Season to taste with pepper and additional salt. Enjoy!

MAKES 5 SERVINGS
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe, but I LOVE Ruby Tuesday's mashed cauliflower! And only 100-some calories.
  • jamielbeck
    Options
    Thank you! I'll try one tonight - depends on what other ingredients I have at home :wink:

I love Ruby Tuesdays mashed cauliflower too! Thank you all for the suggestions! :flowerforyou:
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    I love love love mashed cauliflower!
    MY recipe:

Break up the cauliflower and boil it (for more chunky, make bigger pieces, for smoother for "mashed potato-ish", break it into smaller pieces.)
    When it it's soft, strain it and put it back in the warm pot (without the water of course)
    Add a little butter, garlic powder (For garlic mashed), sea sat and fresh cracked pepper.
    And mash it all up with a fork until it's a consistency you like.

Now, my mom does a different variation. Since I am lactose, she does all of the above, until you get to the butter part. She does butter, pepper, and adds a little warm goat's milk. It gives it this wonderful creamy texture like REAL mashed potatoes. I love it!
  • SaritaChiquita
    SaritaChiquita Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I actually made this last night.

I used:

1 Pkg. Frozen Cauliflower (I Think it was a 10-12 oz package)
    3 Tbls Fat-Free Sour Cream
    1 oz Fat-Free Cream Cheese, Softened

Put frozen cauliflower in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Let the cauliflower boil for about 10-12 minutes or until the stems easily fall apart when you "squish" them. Drain and put into a large bowl. Add cream cheese and sour cream.
    I mashed mine with a fork because I wanted a lot of texture. However, you can easily use a hand or stand mixer to make it more of a mashed-potato-like consistency.
    Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder to taste.

Makes 3 LARGE servings 71 Calories and .6 grams of fat
  • tennetubbie
    tennetubbie Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    for my family I use one pound of potato and 2 pounds of cauliflower, with skim milk, ff cream cheese with a tbsp of Lipton onion soup mix---or ff french onion dip sour cream---they can't even tell the difference!! I don't tell them what I do half the time---the pumpkin/chocolate cake mix or the coca cola cake or the zucchini chocolate cake----they just wolf it down!!
    ''