What one revelation put you on this road to fitness and impr

Options
For me... it was seeing a picture of myself looking sloppy obese and out of shape back in May, 2011.
It was a like a big fat punch in the gelatinous gut.

What was your "ah ha" moment?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine called me fat.
  • Venus2011
    Options
    For me it was a picture too and seeing my midsection. :sad: And of course my doctor trying to add more medications and office visits on me. I'm a diabetic (5 generations-it's in the family genes :laugh: ). I told my doctor 2 days ago I will at least get down to only one medication by summer (this one she said I had to be on for life). On 3 now. It' s time to get fit and healthy :happy: If it is to be, it is up to me!!!!!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Seeing a picture of me where the rolls started under my chin and cascaded all the way down - and I "don't carry weight around my middle" :sad:

That inspired me to get on the scale for the first time in a year and saw that I gained FIFTY pounds and didn't even realize it! The next day I was looking for a calorie counting app on my Android and found MFP. The rest is history.
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I could rest my wine glass on my stomach while I sat on the couch. :grumble:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    My darling student, meaning no harm, looked up at me, mid-hug, and said, "Does it keep you warm when you sleep, like a polar bear?" She was referring to my pregnant-looking belly.

I cried.
    I tried the Special K challenge for 3 days.
    I went online and found Daily Plate. Struggled to make it work for me, left it.
    I found MFP.

The rest is wonderful, blissful, history :bigsmile:
  • kimysc
    kimysc Posts: 12
    Options
    My brother being diagnosed with Diabetes and seeing a photo of myself. :huh:
  • wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Family pictures of me in a bath suit at the beach!!!
  • Melissa_Dawn90
    Melissa_Dawn90 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For me, it was just how i was feeling. I lost a lot of weight a few years ago and felt great. Since gaining it back and then some, i've just felt horrible. The real kick the *kitten* was when I got my blood pressure checked and it was really high. That's when I knew I needed a change.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I was at the liquor store buying a few bottles of wine with my boyfriend and the woman behind the counter rubbed her stomach and gave me a look I can only assume is the "I-am-a-mother-too-and-the-joy-of-pregnancy-is something-we-share" look asked me when I was due.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    There was a weight loss challenge at work that involved actual money. I joined to be supportive and thought I didn't really need it that much. Then I went on vacation, saw pictures of me there, took before pics in a bikini and realized oh crap I DO need this.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Steve Perry.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Found a picture on one of my automated wildlife cameras of a fat man that I thought was trespassing on my land...... Then I realized I was the fat man.

2hxokuv.jpg
  • plumpbettyboop
    Options
    For me it was putting on a pair of my favorite jeans and I had a muffin top.. I had looked at pics about a week earlier and was ready but the jeans really did it..
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Not having the upper body strength to hoist myself up out of the water and into the boat gracefully. :smile:
  • regions02
    regions02 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Cholestrol over 300 and knowing heart disease runs in my family! Also for my 3 year old granddaughter!
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Getting divorced. I won't go so far as to say I got divorced because I was fat; we had some very serious long-term life goal issues (and she had some, umm, "faithfulness issues,") but when you're in the kind of poor physical shape I was in (and still am) you just don't have the energy to put into resolving relationship problems, especially after a long day of work. I also realized that if I'm going to be on the dating scene again I had damn well better be in good shape, because when women say they want a guy with personality what they really mean is a guy with personality and nice abs. :)
  • cjgsmg
    cjgsmg Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    First, it was my super healthy physical therapist brother visiting me in September and I felt like a slob. Then in December I saw a picture of the back of me in the background of a picture. It was enough to kick it into gear come the first of the year. It has come off surprisingly fast and now I have something to prove to myself.
  • anonymousbee
    Options
    Upcoming vacation to the Caribbean, I want to finally wear a bikini for once in my life! Of course there are other more important reasons but that's what prompted me to stop waisting time and finally do something about it. That and watching repeats of the biggest loser :D
  • Shayyy01
    Shayyy01 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Knowing i would not fit in a wedding dress
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Like many others, it was a picture for me. I have that photo in my profile. It's from New Year's Eve 2010 and i was at my highest non-pregnancy weight. I gave birth in December of 2009, so it had been a year and I could no longer blame "baby weight". For some reason, when i looked in the mirror i wasn't "that" big..............but pictures tell a much different story!