Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I could never work out there. I lift heavy weights when I work out, and I grunt a little. (I don't scream like a maniac or anything). They'll set off their "Lunk Alarm" and kick you out if you do that.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    ...I think it's funny that they do a pizza night once a month and give out tootsie rolls at the counter! It's a GYM for godssake! LOL

I agree - that cracks me up - but annoys me too - i have to steer clear of the place on pizza night, because it's SO much more crowded...LOL A co-worker of mine said he saw a guy on the treadmill once eating a slice
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I could never work out there. I lift heavy weights when I work out, and I grunt a little. (I don't scream like a maniac or anything). They'll set off their "Lunk Alarm" and kick you out if you do that.

what?? "lunk alarm"? explain
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A co-worker of mine said he saw a guy on the treadmill once eating a slice

Almost spit out my drink laughing
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I know its cheap in my area only $10/month, but another gym in my area is the same price and they offer classes and personal trainers. Its just my opinion but the one here I wouldn't join because of the pizza and donuts they offer when you walk in can't really trust myself so I do not even want to be put in that situation. Plus not to sound like a snob or hypocrit when I go to a gym I want to see people that work there are in shape or at least working towards that goal. When I walked into my local Planet Fitness all the employees I saw except for one was overweight or obese. I want to know that if I work out at your gym I will see results.
  • piebird79
    piebird79 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I also hear a lot about "banned lifts" which is no good either.
    [/quote]

What do they ban? It sounds like they're not very friendly to the weight-lifting crowd. I go to the Y. They have great child watch for my 3 children, it's spacious, clean and has a well set-up weight area.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If someone tried to ban my first i would be very annoyed. DUCK PLANET FITNESS!
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    How about...Planet Fitness is a joke.

I mean, no structured classes or amazing teachers.

I spend $1/day on my gym and have the most amazing classes. Planet Fitness not worth my time or my money.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I know its cheap in my area only $10/month, but another gym in my area is the same price and they offer classes and personal trainers. Its just my opinion but the one here I wouldn't join because of the pizza and donuts they offer when you walk in can't really trust myself so I do not even want to be put in that situation. Plus not to sound like a snob or hypocrit when I go to a gym I want to see people that work there are in shape or at least working towards that goal. When I walked into my local Planet Fitness all the employees I saw except for one was overweight or obese. I want to know that if I work out at your gym I will see results.

Not my deal. I need amazing teachers and only pay $1/day for my gym.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    They do not allow deadlifts. Simply do not. If you're lucky enough to join a PF that still has free weights around, and attempt to do one, someone hits the friggin Lunk Alarm and you get told off.

If you want machines, seems to be a good place to go. Free weights, no. Limited, if any.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I have a membership here, it's great for the price. I don't end up feeling guilty when I don't make it there, since it's only $10 a month. I use this gym though as a filler because I do more class / group classes outside of the gym (I find them to be much more enjoyable)

How about you find a gym like the one I go to that has all of the classes and the membership is only $1day. There's only two of them though...Framingham, MA and Cambridge, MA.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    They do not allow deadlifts. Simply do not. If you're lucky enough to join a PF that still has free weights around, and attempt to do one, someone hits the friggin Lunk Alarm and you get told off.

If you want machines, seems to be a good place to go. Free weights, no. Limited, if any.

So no Power Lifting classes I take it? :sad:
  • mmannequinn
    mmannequinn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness but the one on my area is G H E T T O !!!! I HATE IT! People just hog up machines, talk on their phones, and just stand around and talk! I rather join a different gym & pay more to avoid all that! Since when was it "cool" to hang out at gym just to be there?! :mad: :explode:
  • Denkko
    Denkko Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the Planet Fitness in Corpus Christi, Texas. It just opened a few months ago. I like it because the people who are working out alongside me look a lot like me -- which is to say, not perfect but earnestly trying.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I live in Dayton, Ohio. Been going to Planet Fitness for about 4 months now. No complaints. Plenty of equipment and staff is excellent.
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was a member of Planet Fitness for about 5 yrs, but left in December because I wanted a gym that offered classes, and the PF in my town was way across town from where I lived, so it took alot of gas to go 3-4 times a week. But I loved it while I was there and for $10 a month, no contract, you can't beat it.
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I go to planet fitness but the one on my area is G H E T T O !!!! I HATE IT! People just hog up machines, talk on their phones, and just stand around and talk! I rather join a different gym & pay more to avoid all that! Since when was it "cool" to hang out at gym just to be there?! :mad: :explode:

this is every gym honey. but i do agree w/ u. it's never cool to hang out at the gym just to be there.
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I personally dont like Planet Fitness. I switched and go to a local gym called InShape.. They have tons of classes to keep me motivated and an onsite daycare which I need because I can't exercise if I don't have anyone to watch my son. By the time my husband gets home from work I'm too exhausted to go to the gym. I pay $40/mo. but it's worth it to me to have daycare, tanning, unlimited classes (yoga, zumba, kickboxing, dance, spinning, weight training, etc). Plus, the owner is a total sweetheart and goes above and beyond to get to know his members and accomodate you. Once you join you get a free eval and 2 meetings with a trainer to get you on a set routine and tell you what to do for exercise and how to eat. LOVE it! Hello Inshape Goodbyeeee PF!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I think each location is different regarding the 'Lunk Alarm'. We have weights at my location and I have heard plenty of people grunting. The only time I ever heard the alarm go off was immediately after a big 'ARRGRGHHHHHHHH!', followed by a loud 'BOOM CRSH BANG" as the guy dropped the weight from his shoulders to the ground.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    It seems like an excellent "first gym". It is inexpensive and they have the basic equipment. It could be a great place to start for someone who is new to exercising in a gym. You can get in some cardio and hit a weight circuit. Then as you start to see results and want to go up a notch, shop around. It is all relative to where you are at in the lifestyle change.