Protein Powder - What's your favorite brand & flavor?

Options

Replies

• whitemountain1
    Options
    I bought the Cytosport 100% Whey from Costco chocolate flavor. It's pretty good with water and a couple ice cubes. $40 for a 6 pound bag. 140 calories and 27g or protein.
  • levi0823
    Options
    ON 100% whey protein Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. I use it in my Green Monster smoothies, but haven't tried it in just milk or water yet.
  • macklo
    macklo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    my absolute favorite is Visalus, it has a heart healthy non GMO soy protein (no Isoflavones) ... it has a unique concentrated and absorbable blend of proteins processed to remove fat,lactose,carbs,and isoflavones to provide pure concentrated protein. If you mix it with milk or soy milk it will provide 20-22 grams of protein, per shake to provide just the right mix
    to burn fat and build lean muscle. It works out to be 1.90 per shake, I am never hungry and have so much energy its crazy ... OH..and I have lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks !!
  • erneseeter
    Options
    bump
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have a gluten and milk allergy, so it's tough to find a good one, but I ***LOVE*** NutraSumma Pea Protein (I've only tried the chocolate, but it is AMAZING)
  • Terrilee140
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder, Chocolate Peanut Butter
  • kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I share my boyfriend's GNC Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 Chocolate. I put one scoop in ~6oz of water and about 1 tbsp of peanut butter. It blends really well and actually tastes pretty delicious. I know it's 280cal for 3 scoops (93 cal for one) and the peanut butter adds more calories but also more protein. It helps my muscles recover so I can strength train everyday, but also keeps me full for a few hours.
    Just wish it wasn't expensive
  • Terrilee140
    Options
    Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder, Chocolate Peanut Butter I mix it with 1% milk it's so yummy! Gives my energy too.
  • Blair66
    Options
    I would also not buy anything that has more than 24g of protein per serving. My physician told me that our kidneys can't get rid of any more than that at one time and that REALLY large servings of protein at one time can make your kidneys work too hard and eventually damage them. Has anyone else been told this?
  • admanMike
    admanMike Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Love Peak Nutrition Banana Whey. Its mail order company in my home state (Nebr) so i'm a bit partial but i think it tastes better than any other i've tried and its inexpensive compared to the chain nutrition stores...Plus i don't have to deal with the meat heads that typically work the cash register at GNC type stores. :smile:
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Jillian Micheals whey protein. Triple chocolate. 100cal 15g protien 3g sugar

wow. that's not bad. And it really tastes okay?
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I would also not buy anything that has more than 24g of protein per serving. My physician told me that our kidneys can't get rid of any more than that at one time and that REALLY large servings of protein at one time can make your kidneys work too hard and eventually damage them. Has anyone else been told this?

Untrue.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1262767/
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
  • holliph
    holliph Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    okay my computer is giving me issues...anyways as to my "quote" that posted earlier...24 g at a time is not the issue but excessive protein can cause an issue. its called rhabdomyolysis. it is a very PAINFUL! I have had it! it takes a long time to get over it! so be very cautious about the amount of protein you do consume per day.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    okay my computer is giving me issues...anyways as to my "quote" that posted earlier...24 g at a time is not the issue but excessive protein can cause an issue. its called rhabdomyolysis. it is a very PAINFUL! I have had it! it takes a long time to get over it! so be very cautious about the amount of protein you do consume per day.

Rhabdo is not caused by excess protein. It's caused by the excess breakdown of muscle tissue, resulting in high myoglobin levels, which DO stress your kidneys.
  • kristina0206
    Options
    bump
  • lisajo91
    lisajo91 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am new to this, why do people use protein powders, it it instead of a meal?
  • meghanner
    meghanner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Vega Sport hands down. Chocolate or Vanilla. So delicious and have supportive amino acids to help with digestion, absorption and assimilation.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Vega Sport hands down. Chocolate or Vanilla. So delicious and have supportive amino acids to help with digestion, absorption and assimilation.

I've been wanting to try Vega but it's out of my budget... maybe I'll have to splurge on some to alternate with my regular protein powder. I use Nutribiotic Vanilla Rice Protein.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I am new to this, why do people use protein powders, it it instead of a meal?
    protein powder does nothing more for you than eating any other food source of protein. So there is zero need for it if you want to eat regular food.

What the powder does though is give you easy and fast access to protein to hit your daily macros. Takes time to cook up chicken. Takes seconds to dump a scoop of powder into a blender.