Morning or Evening?

Options
Is it better to work out in the morning before you eat breakfast or in the evening after your workday? I've heard that it's better in the morning because it boosts your metabolism throughout the day. Just wondering if anyone had info on this subject. Thanx!

Replies

• Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Is it better to work out in the morning before you eat breakfast or in the evening after your workday? I've heard that it's better in the morning because it boosts your metabolism throughout the day. Just wondering if anyone had info on this subject. Thanx!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Morning is best for me. I don't have the energy in the evening. :embarassed:
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    I asked this same question yesterday. Here are the responses I got

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/47500-morning-workout
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I have tried both but honestly the only time I started doing it and stuck with it, is first thing in the morning. It sets the tone for the whole day now and I feel so accomplished. It really boosts your energy and you don't have to worry about hitting the gym after a long day at work :wink:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

I do cardio first thing in the morning after only 16 oz of water and 2 cups of black coffee

weights in the afternoon while posting amazing inciteful tidbits here

doing cardio first thing gets me amped up and feelin good right away which is nice

give it a go:smile:
  • nickelmel
    nickelmel Posts: 87
    Options
    I choose after work because I can't get my butt out of bed in the morning. But I think any time is good as long as you're getting in some exercise!
  • strawberry25shortcake
    strawberry25shortcake Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    It's gonna depend because every individual is different. Mid-day is best for me. I guess you can try different times and listen to your body- then decide what time works best for you!
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    They say your metabolism is highest in the mornings.

I have my hardest workout first thing in the morning after some water, then at least one easier workout in the afternoon.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    What about eating before and after , say, an hour of cardio in the morning? Is it okay to eat before or should you wait until after you're finished?
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    What about eating before and after , say, an hour of cardio in the morning? Is it okay to eat before or should you wait until after you're finished?

after my cardio
    I eat breakfast

b/4 weights I have half a protein shake with blueberries and the other half after
  • jojo52610
    jojo52610 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me always to have something in your stomach when doing cardio

I used to eat a pear and some protien
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    Whenever I lose weight I seem to have the hardest time losing it right around my belly area....is there anything other than crunches and situps that I can do? Maybe something different in my diet that would help more with belly fat?
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Eat after cardio...this will allow you to utilize stored energy as opposed to the energy you just swallowed. Good Luck!
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    It depends on you and your own body... some people love working out in the mornings, and others can only do it in the evenings. It truly doesn't make a difference when you do it, as long as you do it.

That said, if you're going to work out in the morning, you should eat a small meal or a snack first. It is unwise to work out on a completely empty stomach because you 1) won't have as much available energy and therefore 2) won't workout to your maximum capacity. Your body needs some blood sugar to run on.

It can be a piece of fruit, a cereal bar, a breakfast shake or whatever.

And if you workout in the evening, you also need to eat afterward. If you don't replenish your energy, your muscles have difficulty repairing and you'll end up feeling fatigued and sore.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    Whenever I lose weight I seem to have the hardest time losing it right around my belly area....is there anything other than crunches and situps that I can do? Maybe something different in my diet that would help more with belly fat?

Only cardio is going to help you lose that extra fluff in your belly. You can't spot reduce fat. Do lots of cardio and eventually you will lose it there, too.
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    thanx for all the great advice everyone!!!!
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    It is better to work out in the morning because it boosts your metabolism, burns more fat during the day (because if you go in the evening the "prime" fat burning time is while you're sleeping) and typically you make better food choices throughout the day because you don't want to ruin all your hard work. It is recommended to eat something before working out.

As for your abs, I find the biggest change happened when I eliminated gluten and dairy from my diet. I noticed my lower abs were more defined and I got rid of excess fat. For exercises, the plank and other other exercises that target the lower abs are good. Check out some exercises on www.self.com or http://www.womenshealthmag.com. I find they have great exercises and tutorials.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    It depends on you and your own body... some people love working out in the mornings, and others can only do it in the evenings. It truly doesn't make a difference when you do it, as long as you do it.

That said, if you're going to work out in the morning, you should eat a small meal or a snack first. It is unwise to work out on a completely empty stomach because you 1) won't have as much available energy and therefore 2) won't workout to your maximum capacity. Your body needs some blood sugar to run on.

And if you workout in the evening, you also need to eat afterward. If you don't replenish your energy, your muscles have difficulty repairing and you'll end up feeling fatigued and sore.

I resepctfully diasgree with eating before am cardio,,,,you have food in you from yesterday unless it has been more than 16 hours or so....you want your am cardio to use what you have already stored...
    anyway that is what has worked for me so far
  • Melroxsox
    Options
    gluten would include carbs such as breads, flours, starches?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

I resepctfully diasgree with eating before am cardio,,,,you have food in you from yesterday unless it has been more than 16 hours or so....you want your am cardio to use what you have already stored...
    anyway that is what has worked for me so far

The only cardio I do is running (I know..I know..) and I can't eat before I run because I get side stitches.

Melro - is your schedule flexible enough to workout at different times? :smile: