Is Gluten Addiction Real?

Options
For years, I've had great success when I start a diet with 3 week period of eating a gluten free vegan diet. I lose the bloat within if a few days and in about a week, I no longer crave what I've overeaten, sometimes even binged upon, in the past. Which is pretty much all the products with gluten. I have at least 8-12 weeks of easily being able to eat these foods in moderation. And I lose weight.

Somewhere along the line, historically, the cravings come back... with them my resolve weakens and I'm regularly over indulging. Eventually, I gain back the weight I lost.

Is it just a coincidence? Or can a person can develop a physical addiction for gluten? I read a few articles that say gluten has something called "exorphins" which have an addictive, narcotic effect on the brain. But I can't find anywhere that says do you have to totally eliminate these foods or you can have a serving a day... or a week... or a month and that addiction not kick in to where you're craving it.

Any one else have experience and/or knowledge? My 3 weeks is coming to a close and I'm debating when and how much gluten products I should add back.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    There is evidence to suggest that glutens and seratonin (a feel good chemical in the brain) are linked. Lots of info on the web....I don't know to be honest.

I do know I feel much better on low gluten, and my cravings subside significantly.