i cant stay on track!!!!!!!!

Options
i have been dieting on and off for pretty much my entire life....i have never been able to hit any of my goals. i start off good but i last for 2 or 3 weeks and then i just eat all the junk food i see....and not in moderation at all. what can i doo to keep myself motivated and keep on track??? any tricks???

Replies

• soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Almost everyone falls off at one point or another. I fell off the wagon horribly in 2010 and didn't get back on until last month. Maybe start by setting mini-goals instead of looking at the big picture. If your goal is to lose 50lbs, split it up throughout the year so when you reach the smaller goals, you're motivated to keep going.

Keeping healthier snacks around is key too. I realized that when I started planning and prepping for days to come, I was able to eat much better. I keep all my fruits and veggies washed and ready to go in individual zip-locs so that I can grab one when I feel the urge to grab a cookie or a bag of chips. It helps tremendously.

Most importantly, if you do fall off, just get back on. :-)

Best of luck to you!
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Hmm, sounds like maybe you need to be reeeaaally strict with yourself for a longer period of them?! I mean, we all know that it's not about denying yourself things altogether but to eat "bad" things in moderation. If you're finding that difficult, maybe you have to be extra careful with how much of it you have in the house? For example make sure you don't have more than one small chocolate bar in the cupboard so if you give in to the temptation, you cannot go way overboard? Eventually, you will get used to it and you won't want more anymore but maybe it just takes longer than the couple weeks it takes for some others?
  • smallerfyme
    Options
    I would suggest trying to keep busy. Those moments where you are alone and there's nobody there holding you accountable and it would be super easy to go get in the car and hit every fast food drive-thru in a five mile radius and pick up some tiny donuts at the gas station on the way back... that's when you need to find something else to do. Distract yourself.

Like for instance, just now I'm feeling super-munchy. So I took the dog for a walk. Then I got online and came to these forums. Just keep busy and hang in there.

Tell yourself over and over that you can do this. Because it's worth it to you, and you're worth it, too. Omg, that rhyming advice thing was totally not on purpose. But seriously, yes you can. You can totally stay on track and we're here to support you.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    You need to drop your ovaries and get on with it woman!

To be honest, sounds like you need like a big military kick up your butt ... but at the end of the day, you need to change your lifestyle for good and you musn't rely on everyone else to support you in it for the rest of your life...you need to do it for yourself.

Here are some reasons why.

Fat is unattractive as a general rule
    Fat is unhealthy, being overweight increases your risk of horrible diseases like cancer, CVD, diabetes and respiratory problems
    Fat is debilitating as it limits your mobility and causes health problems and it can ruin your self confidence and assist in causing depression
    It can cause pain in your joints and distress loved ones seeing you in that state.

If the reasons above are not enough for getting fit and losing weight on your own forever, then no-one can help you.

(I'm a nice person really but figured the harsh reality may be the kick you need)
  • chelbel89
    chelbel89 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have always fallen off the wagon when I have too much time on my hands! I am an eater when I am bored, sad, lonely, happy etc. I think that staying busy really is the key to it. And try to wake up everyday and remind yourself of what that day is for: begin each morning on purpose. Today is for treating my body right, today is for running that extra lap, today is for showing myself what I am worth!

Good luck, we are all behind you! :D
  • norma67
    norma67 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me....and this is only for me

I was the same way.....but I came to a point that I just could not take it anymore
    I made the choice to change and to workout.....
    now I am not saying it is easy
    or that there aren't days that I don't want to workout
    but I know I don't want to go back to where I was.
    It all came down to how much I really wanted it.

Each person finds their own reasons
    and I really hope that you find what you are looking for :flowerforyou:
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    You need to drop your ovaries and get on with it woman!

To be honest, sounds like you need like a big military kick up your butt ... but at the end of the day, you need to change your lifestyle for good and you musn't rely on everyone else to support you in it for the rest of your life...you need to do it for yourself.

Here are some reasons why.

Fat is unattractive as a general rule
    Fat is unhealthy, being overweight increases your risk of horrible diseases like cancer, CVD, diabetes and respiratory problems
    Fat is debilitating as it limits your mobility and causes health problems and it can ruin your self confidence and assist in causing depression
    It can cause pain in your joints and distress loved ones seeing you in that state.

If the reasons above are not enough for getting fit and losing weight on your own forever, then no-one can help you.

(I'm a nice person really but figured the harsh reality may be the kick you need)

+1

But you gotta be the one kicking your own butt. Embrace the outer adult and choke that inner child out.
  • lauraOOOO
    lauraOOOO Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    sounds like you are trying to do too much too soon, and then after a few weeks you get overwhelmed and fall back into your old habits.

try just tracking for a few weeks- no dieting or anything special, just get into the habit of tracking. then try to do one small thing (ie. cut your sodas down from 2 per day to 1, or try to drink 8 glasses or water, or something like that). slowly add more small things into your lifestyle and you will begin to be more concious of all of your decisions.

hope that helps!!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    try baby steps change one small thing at a time like wheat versus white or ground turkey versus ground beef then it won't seem so overwhelming
  • mtbiker1069
    mtbiker1069 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My advice is to quit dieting. Diets never work. Instead, concentrate on changing your lifestyle. You can't diet forever, but your lifestyle is for ever.

Like the other have said, don't beat yourself up if you aren't doing good. Resolve to make your life better and resolve to change your unhealthy habits to healthy habits.

I'm speaking from experience here, and what i've found that what helped me is to sit down and identify those unhealthy habits, then identify what leads to those unhealthy habits and remove that bad stimulus from your life.

For example, I found that If I sit down in front of the tv it makes it REALLY hard to get up and go. So, I disconnected my cable. I also found that I have a really hard time eating healthy when I eat out. I don't seem to have the self-control to order healthy when it feels like I'm treating myself to eat out. So, I stopped eating out and make sure that I bring only healthy food to eat.

Most of all, again, don't beat yourself up. Just try and imagine the new you, imagine all the fun things you'll get to do when your healthy, all the cool clothes you'll get to wear, and constantly think about all the positive changes your life will have when your healthy. Visualize how everything will be different...

Hope this helps you.
    Mark
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've struggled a lot with this myself. I think the best way to think about it is that you need to take it ONE DAY AT A TIME. Relax, remember what it feels like to be proud and happy with what you're eating. Realize this is who you are. Don't be afraid of failure. Don't be a perfectionist. As long as you never give up, regardless of how many times you mess up, you will eventually get there. WANT this for yourself. Stop lying to yourself and making excuses, it can be done and you know it!

These are the things that help me. Good luck!
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    First of all You Can Stay on Track... you're chosing not to. So figure out why. And stop dieting and eat real healthy food in moderation and get moving.
  • Marie3391
    Marie3391 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Also, I just read this article today, I thought it was very helpful and true :)

http://caloriecount.about.com/love-unlovable-you-b550721?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_20120202&utm_term=continue1

Love yourself, with excess weight, great parts and flaws.
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Do not get too hungry....you can easily eat the calories throughout the day....if you get hungry, eat! But not Little Debbies! Get low calorie, higher protein snacks.....I love Pure Protein bars, yogurt mixed with fiber one cereal, fruit, cheese sticks, etc.....that has helped me more than you can imagine! Once you realize you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight, it is on!! take baby steps, day by day, meal by meal.....Fake it until you make it. FInd foods that are healthy you enjoy and like.....this is a lifestyle change. If you want it bad enough, you will change. If you are comfortable with yourself and your body and the will isn't there, you won't do it.....it is as easy as that! I was so ready to lose my weight when I first started!! It took a year and a half to lose 100 lbs but I figured out what I liked and how to fit it into my day.....the best thing that ever happened!! No more excuses....just do it!!
  • amberrrrh
    amberrrrh Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    here's what i do.

I don't think of this as dieting. I think of it as a change to better myself and to be HEALTHY. That's the main reason that everyone should be wanting to lose weight.

When you exercise on here, they give you the amount of calories you should be burning a day when you work out. If I meet that mark or go over, I allow myself a treat of what i've been wanting as long as it fits into my calories and stuff for that day.

I want to lose about 80 pounds total. I divide them up into about 20-30 pounds at a time. I want to get to 180 right now, then 160, then 130 which is my goal weight. Looking at it as losing 80 pounds is A LOT and can be overwhelming if you're looking at it as I HAVE TO LOSE EIGHTY POUNDS, thats far! looking at it as losing a little bit as a time isnt so bad.

& on saturday's i have my spike day. i eat whatever i want that day. I dont mean that I sit down all day and just go nuts, but if i get together with friends and we go eat somewhere, i get whatever i want instead of freaking out about it. If i want a burger and fries for lunch, then i have a burger and fries for lunch.

Last tip, I think of the future, and how happy i'll be with myself.
  • gayatrik
    gayatrik Posts: 173
    Options
    i have been dieting on and off for pretty much my entire life....i have never been able to hit any of my goals. i start off good but i last for 2 or 3 weeks and then i just eat all the junk food i see....and not in moderation at all. what can i doo to keep myself motivated and keep on track??? any tricks???

Hey there...

Reading your post is like seeing myself in mirror...I did this for a decade now.... in 2008, I came into my perfect weight but it didnt take me long to put on all the lost weight.....From then on, I happened to diet for a max of 2-3 weeks and then eat all junk..put on n the circle never ended.

Things seem to change now... after being little regular on MFP since a month, with lot of peer motivation here I am able to be strict.

So with all my experience, I would say: Please dont try to follow any fad diets. They are of no use. Try to plan ur day in such a way that you are eating some food every 2 hours like.,

1.Breakfast
    2.Mid day snack
    3.Lunch
    4.Afternoon snack
    5.Dinner
    6. Small snack if you still awake and hungry

Make sure every meal you have is of little portions. Try to divide your entire day's food into little portions.Try to add exercising in your daily schedule. If you cannot make it exclusively, try going to the mall and walk around or do grocery shopping..do cooking...cleaning..anything. They burn a lot of cals.

The most important of all., dont give up on your fav foods. Eat them but limit to little portions. If you are eating a dessert..dont try to eat your entire meal and then the dessert. Try to eat half the portion of the meal and a small piece of dessert. This surely will keep your mind on track.

Drink lots of water. Most of the times, not drinking sufficient amount of water makes us binge. So make sure you are hydrated.

Never ever ignore to track what you are eating. Log in your food for sure.It helps us to avoid certain junk the next time we want to binge.

I have been following this for a month now and though I see only 4lbs difference from the time I started, I feel much lighter and much more confident that I can do it slowly but steadily.I used to bloat a lot earlier but not anymore.The best of all, I am eating all those foods which I avoided for a decade.But in less portions.

I am sure with little changes incorporated in our schedule, we can progress gradually.

They say, weight loss comes with a change in lifestyle.I never understood that and always targeted at losing more in less time through fad diets and excessive workouts at a shot BUT now, I understood the key to succeed in this war against weight loss and I am sure, by doing it right we will sure do it consistently and see permanent results :smile:

*Hope this helps:*
  • ladykate7
    ladykate7 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I do this too! so frustrating, Just getting out of a five day fall. Cheetos, ice cream, candy, and mint chocolate chip ice cream, oh my.

Ditto on trying to do too much all at once. And especially when you are trying to get back on track. Try to give yourself credit for the small things you do, instead of focusing on all the things you should have done but didn't.

I should have done my 20 cardio session over lunch yesterday and gone tanning. but I walked to two blocks to tan and skipped the workout. At first I was upset that I didn't do it all and then gave myself a mental kick - I did walk to the tanning place. I did something. Those little victories are the stepping stones to get back on track. - as that other poster said, try a smidge better nutrition choice for a day and feel good about it, then the next day it'll be easier.

Of course a huge smack in the butt and strictness has a place too. Think about giving yourselt an intese goal for a week. Don't eat any ice cream for one week, or don't watch any tv. Pick something that limits your progress, something that you do that bugs you to no end, something you wish you didn't do. Its only a week of not doing whatever your challenge is. Some self-competition could be the thing to do for one week out of every month to help you stay on track.
  • Chubbasmommy
    Options
    thanks everyone for your input....even the boot camp take on it =) haha honestly on a "normal day" i eat relatively healthy. i dont eat hamburger...EVER....i eat chicken burger. i normally only eat chicken and once in a while i have fish. but then i have my days where i can sit and eat an entire bag of potato chips in on sitting just because im pissed off. and actually i LOVEEE the gym. if i could get there everyday at 6 am i would....but i have a 4 year old and i am stuck home most of the time. SOOO i am going to set a few small goals and see if that helps and maybe figure out an at-home exercise routine that my brat can do with me ......and really thank u :happy:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most of the posters have said above, time to stop letting excuses get in the way of progress. That said, a couple of little things to try.

1. Use the MFP mobile app, and keep it with you at ALL times. Log food before you eat it, once you type in that bag of chips, thet might just be enough motivation to hit the delete button and put them back on the shelf.

2. Don't buy that crap in the first place! If its too tempting for you, dont have it around, paerticularly while you are still adjusting to the idea of not having them. As a step further, if you are able to do your food shopping online, youll be less likely to by the junk that the supermarkets put at eye level to tempt you.

3. Don't deny yourself things that you can't do without forever. If I thought I'd never be able to have a burger again I'd be lookin' for a steady roof beam and a length of rope (ok a slight exaggeratyion maybe, but you get my point). Once again logging before you eat means you are consciously deciding what is worth it and what isn't.

4. On the exercise thing, my 4yo thinks its awesome fun to exercise with me! We'll do squats together, I might do some pushups with her on my back, take her to the park and do some stepups/dips while she's playing etc. They love that stuff, and you are teaching them good habits at the same time. Win win!
  • paws_hood
    Options
    I am the same as yourself and normally give up after the first couple of weeks. But as many have said try and keep yourself busy. I have been using MFP for 4 weeks now by just trying to find other things to do rather than going to the kitchen fridge for snacks and if you use the mfp correctly i have found it alot easier to stay on track. the days i have forgot to record what i have ate i find myself snacking more as i do not realise how much i have already had to eat. But we will get there just persevire and keep at it :-)

14246412.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter