I bought a scale...

...and I weigh exactly what I had thought I weighed. Here's the catch, somehow, deep down, I REALLY thought I weighed less. Now, I am discouraged by the numbers on the scale. How backwards is that?! In my head I knew I had weight to lose, but now that it's real and I do need to work hard, eat right and commit to losing weight, it seems that much harder to stick to it and see it through.

In any case, so, yeah, according to the scale I weighed 174 pounds and I'd like to get to 160. I'm 5'9" and have always been very athletic. I'm not as fit as I used to be when I was running like a mad woman and appeared quite thin, though I still weighed about 155 lbs. I'm just going to assume that I have a sturdy build, lots of muscle and that going below 160 isn't a place my body can get to without appearing too thin (I had friends ask if I was sick at 155 pounds).

Has anyone ever experienced anything like the above? How did you keep yourself motivated? I know I'm only looking at it from my perspective, but at times, it seems harder to think about losing 15 pounds versus 50 pounds or more. Will anyone even notice? Okay, right, I'll notice. And, right, the point is that I CAN BE FABULOUS and that I keep selling myself short by accepting a weight/body size in which I don't feel comfortable. I'm babbling...felt good to write this down and get it out into the MFP ether.

If my thoughts resonate with you, feel free to friend me!