bring babies to work

Options
curleekate
curleekate Posts: 24 Member
ok I know a lot of people disagree, but i just wanted to know if anyone out there agrees with me. i hate when new moms bring their babies to work. honestly, i don't really care if i ever see people's babies, and i'm totally awkward around them. i never know what to say because i just can't bring myself to ooh and aah over someone's sleeping child that i most likely will never see again. when people bring their babies to the office, i just want to close my door and pretend i'm not here.

anyone else feel that way?

Replies

• MellisaCruz
    Options
    Uggghhh, I totally agree!

I dont like kids. I dont want to be around them. I dont want to hear there little voices asking questions...NOPE! I come to work to get away from kids, I dont want to be fake by oogling and googling your kid, I HAVE MY OWN. Work is a strictly adult environment and kids should be banned!

PSA: New moms, we know you want to show off your baby but be considerate of your co-workers who could care less.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan either. I'm not baby person and have to make numerous excuses to not to have a hold of the baby. Usually I say 'No no no I'll drop it' ...then make sure they know that that's a threat and not a concern :devil:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan either. I'm not baby person and have to make numerous excuses to not to have a hold of the baby. Usually I say 'No no no I'll drop it' ...then make sure they know that that's a threat and not a concern :devil:

Bah ha ha. I think I love you.

(....I could not care less about people's babies either)
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I love children, and I love meeting the new children of colleagues. :)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    What do mean by this? Do you mean to visit? For the whole day?

I have brought my oldest to work before and it's because my options were call out of work or take him with me. Luckily, if anyone was bothered they didn't say it to me. I go to work because I have clients that depend on me. I am sure they would rather the work gets done than not. My boss would too.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I don't work in an office, but I'm a cashier at a grocery store and I love seeing cute tiny babies! I also really like children though and I plan on being a teacher.

I just don't understand how someone would actually be bothered by it. Even though you might not personally care about their child, there may be other people in the office who want to see the new baby.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I don't mind if they're asleep, it's the awake ones that bother me. I can't stand that squeal they make which baby people think is really cute. If they're asleep and quiet then I don't have a problem, it's just the squealy baby noises that set my teeth on edge.
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't work in an office, but I'm a cashier at a grocery store and I love seeing cute tiny babies! I also really like children though and I plan on being a teacher.

I just don't understand how someone would actually be bothered by it. Even though you might not personally care about their child, there may be other people in the office who want to see the new baby.

Fair enough, it doesn't bother me as such, but when the said baby is foisted upon me it's a tad annoying. The thing that bothers me is when people get offended that I don't want a hold :/ It's like I've insulted them or something. I just don't get gooey over babies :/
  • KMSForLife
    Options
    I think there are certain things that one can't understand until they are a parent. I remember when my first son was born, there wasn't a thing in the world that was more precious and I couldn't be more proud. I wanted to bring him to work to show him off - I worked with those people everyday for multiple hours a day - it was like family.

On the other hand - after my third child was born I was "done" with babies for awhile. It never bothered me for someone else to bring their child to work but I certainly didn't go out of my way to interact - it was personal preference - no big deal either way.
  • curleekate
    Options
    No, I mean bringing a 3 month old in so all the baby lovers can meet him/her and then all other employees are forced to listen to loud cries from the baby (in annoyance) and the ladies (in delight) BLECH!
  • curleekate
    Options

I have brought my oldest to work before and it's because my options were call out of work or take him with me. Luckily, if anyone was bothered they didn't say it to me. I go to work because I have clients that depend on me. I am sure they would rather the work gets done than not. My boss would too.

No, I mean bringing a 3 month old in so all the baby lovers can meet him/her and then all other employees are forced to listen to loud cries from the baby (in annoyance) and the ladies (in delight) BLECH!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

Doesn't bother me. But then again, I have three kids. All of whom I have dragged to work to meet my co-workers of the last ten years. The cried, people squealed and the whole ordeal (or nice break from work to meet my new additions) lasted a half hour.
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I am a HUGE baby person, so I love it. But for those who don't like it, don't go over and be a part of it. Just ignore it.

But for my work, the only babies we have come in are old patients, which is absolutely amazing and I love seeing them healthy. I work in a sad environment, so seeing a baby that has gotten better is great and totally lifts your spirits. In fact one just came in the other day. Spent her first 8 months in ICU, and now she was clapping and smiling and blowing people kisses.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Doesn't bother me. But then again, I have three kids. All of whom I have dragged to work to meet my co-workers of the last ten years. The cried, people squealed and the whole ordeal (or nice break from work to meet my new additions) lasted a half hour.

It's fine if it's only half an hour, some people are in my office for hours with a tired and therefore grouchy child and never seem to leave. I do wonder if it's because they miss everyone and are reluctant to go which is understandable, but they just seem to pretend the baby isn't tired and grumpy so they can keep chatting.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Kids don't belong in an office.
  • Tivo8MyNeighbors
    Tivo8MyNeighbors Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My career focuses on legal assistance for victims of domestic violence and child abuse, so children are an inherent part of daily life in the office. Children don't bother me.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Fair enough, it doesn't bother me as such, but when the said baby is foisted upon me it's a tad annoying. The thing that bothers me is when people get offended that I don't want a hold :/ It's like I've insulted them or something. I just don't get gooey over babies :/

Same here. I'm not a coo'er. They can be cute, sweet, and all that... and they can also be extremely annoying. I guess if it was mine it might be a different story :)
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

I can totally understand this. I did bring my baby in to the place I worked while I was pregnant, but I am not sure I'd want to be forced to cooing over a baby of a coworker I didn't interact with very much or didn't like.
  • EmilyB589
    EmilyB589 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    So long as they keep it quiet and away from me I can deal with people bringing their babies in.

We have had alot of people at my work popping out babies and they all know that I'm not keen on them.

What bothers me the more than the babies at work is how new mothers lose the filter when they talk - I really do not need to know about how your lady parts ripped pushing it out, how often it poos blah blah blah. I mean, we only work together - I do not need to know!