Carbs/ Protein / Fat

Options
What is the best ratio for these? I would like to eat more protein but I don't want to be on a low carb diet, but I am trying to watch my carbs, if that makes sense. I want to get my carbs through whole grains, fruit and vegtables, so I am looking to see what is the best percentage for each item and still meet my weight loss goal

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i have mine set as 45/30/25 and that gives me loads of protein, and i dont always hit my carbs.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What is the best ratio for these? I would like to eat more protein but I don't want to be on a low carb diet, but I am trying to watch my carbs, if that makes sense. I want to get my carbs through whole grains, fruit and vegtables, so I am looking to see what is the best percentage for each item and still meet my weight loss goal

Don't use ratios and instead shoot for MINIMUMS of 1g of pro per lb of lbm and around .35g of fat per lb of bodyweight, let the rest of your cals fall where they may.

I know that MFP requires you to enter a % in when customizing your macros, so try and set your pro and fats close to your minimums and always look to at least get that number or go above
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's really about what is best for you but 40 carbs/30 protein/30 fat is a good ratio to start with.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Don't use ratios and instead shoot for MINIMUMS of 1g of pro per lb of lbm and around .35g of fat per lb of bodyweight, let the rest of your cals fall where they may.

I know that MFP requires you to enter a % in when customizing your macros, so try and set your pro and fats close to your minimums and always look to at least get that number or go above

This.
  • japruzze
    japruzze Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I work with 40/3030 and limit my breads/pasta/rice/cereal/crackers to one a day. Most of my carbs come from dairy, veggies and fruit.
  • candie33
    candie33 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    What is lbm and how do I come up with a breakdown. I currently weight 193? if some one could share the formula I would greatly appreciate it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What is lbm and how do I come up with a breakdown. I currently weight 193? if some one could share the formula I would greatly appreciate it.

LBM = lean body mass. Which is bodyweight - fat mass. Fat mass can be calculated by multiplying bodyfat % by bodyweight