Does anyone get sleepy after a hard workout?

Options

Replies

• mhig011975
    Options
    I've never gotten tired after a workout. It's just the opposite.
  • saverys_gal
    saverys_gal Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Definitely! This is why I workout when I get home from work...I'll sweat my tush off and go on about dinner and all and about 2 hours later I'm ready to crash; I find I don't sleep as well on days I don't exercise. I've tried working out in the morning, even just some light yoga, and it makes me way too tired! To each his/her own!
  • crixmix
    Options
    Yes, tired and really hungry...so iend up eating way more than I'm 'allowed' to.
    I'm solving this by changing my workout to evenings. Good luck!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I work out in the afternoon, come home, shower and PASS THE HELL OUT for like an hour.
    I feel amazing after that, though.
  • kldevore
    Options
    Honey please due to my schedule I workout at the end of the day after working, taking care of the children, cooking ( you can imagine how long this list can go ) I then go to my room without sitting change clothes and get the 30 DS done and then another Cardio workout for 40-50 minutes I am so tired I have sat down to rest many a night and woke up to my alarm clock the next morning. SNEAKERS STILL ON! But I got the workout in LOL.....

Have a good one!

You are an inspiration. Working out in the morning would be a nightmare for me for the rest of the day so I usually do it afterwork but lately I've been putting it off because I'm so exhausted. Falling asleep for the night before anything else though makes my excuses seem petty. Thanks for posting this. I needed the motivation.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that this topic came up....I read an article that said exercising for too long at too high of an intensity releases large amounts of cortisol as a "stress" reaction. This can lead to appetite increase, feeling sleepy and a slow down in weight loss. It recommended shorter durations more frequently. Don't know if it's right or not.... but I'm going to try 30 minutes 6 days a week instead of an hour 3 times a week and see if it works for me.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I never get energy from working out, I always get hungry & sleepy
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I never get energy from working out, I always get hungry & sleepy

This is me exactly....
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on what I did. If I was at it for more than a half hour, or if I did any strength training, I feel a little wobbly and my body is ready to rest! If I just did a few minutes of yoga or some light cardio, I feel energized.

It just depends for me. Right now, I'm exhausted from ChaLEAN Extreme. I can't decide if I'm going to find some coffee or take a nap.
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If I fueled up with some carbs before a workout then yes I have energy. But if I ended up not eating then I definitely feel hungry, but I don't get sleepy.
  • i get sleepy during the workout lol
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do too so I tend to hit the gym after work. If I have a really intense workout session early in the day, I want to eat everything in site and then pass out in a food/exhaustion coma!
  • bloodguilt
    Options
    I work out in the mornings, and on days when I work really hard I am so sleepy after. Sometimes I even fall asleep at my desk. I do feel more energized throughout the day when i work out, but not immediately. Does anyone else have this problem?

I think it's normal but there has to be a scientific explanation about this but I am not sure. One mentioned it has something to do with cortisol which is interesting to me.
    Anyhow, I workout for 1-1.5 hrs every morning after [night shift] work and I get/feel so sleepy and tired 3-4 hours after.
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I just started working out a week ago and I find myself yawning alot while working out. I think I just need more oxygen. Maybe its related to air intake?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I get very sleepy. That's when I eat a protein bar to kick up the energy levels. Then it's off to work for the day!
  • lynzy713
    lynzy713 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i get rediculously hungry...
  • schrammalama
    Options
    When I was training for a half-marathon last year I would have to take a nap after my long training runs. I literally couldn't function for the rest of the day if I didn't nap.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I feel energized after working out but I have to say that I always have a quick protein shake or bar when I finish working out and I think that helps me. I like to work out in the earlier part of the day best before I have distractions that keep me from getting to my exercise. Do what ever works for you so that you can get the workout in and still accomplish the other important things in your day.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Working out gives me more energy during the day. But, when I go to bed as night I sleep like a log.
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I work out early AM too - After a long hard burn I find myself nodding out at my desk some days. I've found that a protein shake or a 200 - 300 calorie high protein snack does the trick and brings me back - either that or MORE COFFEE...yum!