At odds on what diet to take

Options
Here is the skinny (lol) , seriously, i have done the South Beach Diet a few times, but decided this time to modify the diet and just start with phase 2. The carb thing is really hard for me to give up. The problem is my husband thinks the only way he is going to lose weight is going full on phase 1 for two weeks. Plus he wants us to work out. I have no problem working out but I can't do phase 1 and work out, i need the fuel and he doesn't (He uses supplement shakes to offset the lack of carbs, and i refuse to do that.) , Its creating a problem when preparing meals, as I would like to have a carb here and there in our meals. Any Suggestions on how to reach a compromise?

Secondly about those supplement shakes, they are packed with so many calories that it scares me. Should i fear them?

Replies

• KahuNZ
    KahuNZ Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Just eat in moderation - I personally don't believe in cutting out certain food groups. Count your calories and exercise and in time your weight will drop. Use MFP guidelines for your calorie intake and you should be right. I don't use any supplement shakes or extra vitamins - just all the food groups if I can. Let your hubby do his thing and you do yours... when preparing meals it might be a hassle but if he doesn't want rice, pasta, or potatoes he doesn't have to eat them.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    If this diet doesn't fit in with your lifestyle, maybe you should reconsider.

I'm a fan of the 'Eat whatever I feel like eating as long as my macros are right, and I don't over/under eat' diet.
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    whichever "diet" that you can do for the rest of your life. :) for me, there's no way I could do no carbs!

I'm with the PP - I changed my eating habits. I eat healthier foods, mostly, and less calories/fat. this is something I can do forever... and for me that's the best choice. why starve for 3 weeks to lose 10lbs? when you go back to eating normal it'll come back. trust me, I've done them ALL.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I will say only this: Make lifestyle changes to your food and diet that you can MAINTAIN throughout the rest of your life.

Doing anything else is just spinning your wheels. You may experience short-term weight loss only to experience long-term weight gain.
  • sweepea436
    sweepea436 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    :smile: Yeah, the whole point of me signing up on here is so I dont have to pick a "diet". I know what i have to come in under, so I try to do that. If I'm not getting enough of something, i try to add it. But my multivitamins take care of most of it.....
  • sklala
    sklala Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If your having trouble with the carbs issue, start with cutting down on your gluten intake, try rice noodles and egg noodles versus a traditional flour pasta. It will help in moderation to cut carbs but still allow you to indulge.

S.
  • klynn81
    klynn81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If you can't stick with it for the rest of your life, then why even start with it.

I find that when you start by cutting things out, etc. that you'll likely just end up going back to your old ways and putting the weight back on. I've lost 39lbs and I haven't cut out a single thing yet, only cut back on things, try to eat more good than bad, etc. As the weight starts to come off, I start to feel better, and I'm more likely to reach for the healthier option, or think twice about having the bad option, but in the end I know it's a way that I can live with forever.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    If you can't stick with it for the rest of your life, then why even start with it.

I find that when you start by cutting things out, etc. that you'll likely just end up going back to your old ways and putting the weight back on. I've lost 39lbs and I haven't cut out a single thing yet, only cut back on things, try to eat more good than bad, etc. As the weight starts to come off, I start to feel better, and I'm more likely to reach for the healthier option, or think twice about having the bad option, but in the end I know it's a way that I can live with forever.

Because it works. Low carb diets work. Keto works. If you want the most bang for your buck in the shortest time there you go. Food is just like anything else and can be manipulated to suit your goal. Goal is to lose 30 lbs by bikini season you can do that on a ketogenic diet, and then transition into a more balanced dietary set up. Does it take discipline? Yes. Are there days where your energy level is going to be in the tank because the body doesn't use fat as efficiently as carbs for energy? Yes, but if your end goal is a quick hitter than I've found no better route than eating less than 20g of carbs a day.

As far as compromise I went carb free for 2-3 months at the beginning of my journey and the wife had carbs. If he's dead set on it make him cook his own stuff. Not that hard really. A plain chx breast and green veggies can be cooked ahead for meals where you want carbs. It's about planning. As far as the supplements thats what they are supplments. Use them to fill holes in your dietary intake, but everything should be focussed on whole foods.