HRM or Pedometer?

Which is better to track calories burned?

Replies

• twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    bump.
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    I don't have a pedometer, but I would definitely say HRM. You can use it for everything from walking/running to zumba, aerobics, workout dvds, and lifting (although I think alot of people don't use it for lifting...so I've seen). To me it just seems a lot more versatile if you're gonna spend the money. And I would think more reliable as well as it actually monitors your heart rate.
  • twoscimitars
    twoscimitars Posts: 272 Member
    Thank you! Just bought an HRM.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Love my HRM, it lets me tweak my workouts to stay in the zone and at whatever rate I need for that part of the workout. Calories earned at the end is a bonus :)
  • Jessica0982
    Jessica0982 Posts: 209 Member
    I can only speak of the HRM. But I LOVE mine! I've been using it for about a week and really, it's awesome!

I do Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (Level 2) and MFP says I burned 189 calories. My HRM says I burn anywhere from 240-263 calories.

I also go for a long walk each day and MFP said I was burning about 240 calories and I actually burn closer to 400 calories.

I have a Polar F4 that I took from my Mom. I think it's a little older of a model but really, I'm loving my HRM. (Watch and chest strap) It's based upon my age, height, weight, and it clocks how long my heart rate is in the low zone, high zone and calories burned. It's great!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Yes HRMs all the way. Polars are the best. Pedometers, never had one but everyone I spoke to that has one say it is garbage. Most complaints are that they don't work properly or are not accurate. Something to do with your body not shaking enough for the pedometer to gauge the steps.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    If you can swing it, go with a BodyBugg. It's the most accurate.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    HRM with a chest strap. . I got mine at Walmart. . . It is a Sportline, works great and was only $47:smile:
  • IrishHarpy1
    IrishHarpy1 Posts: 399 Member
    I have both -- a Polar FT4 and a Fitbit. I've found the Fitbit to be *very* accurate with step counting, and now that MFP and the Fitbit site "talk" to each other, I have a much more accurate view of how many calories I burn throughout the day. I reserve the HRM for "intense" exercise (kettlebell, cardio, etc.), and enter the time and calories burned here on MFP. Once I sync the Fitbit, it adjusts the calories that I burned the rest of the day.

Then again, I'm a techno-geek who loves gadgety things like that...
  • queenpushycat
    queenpushycat Posts: 761 Member
    I bought mine from my local fitness center. Polar FT4 at about $140; with watch functions, timer and HRM. It has a chest strap with it too! Love it :)

http://i40.tinypic.com/21ci3ye.jpg

picture is a little bit too big for the message board. LOL!
  • I bought mine from my local fitness center. Polar FT4 at about $140

!!!???

You got ripped off!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0031ZK84E/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=radi04e-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0031ZK84E

You could have bought 2 of them for $140 with money to spare!
  • hotmama1174
    hotmama1174 Posts: 109 Member
    HRM!!!

Check amazon -great selection and prices!!