Runners! Finding Balance?

Options
I have a question for the runners out there. I am a regular runner 5-6 days a week and periodically training for half/marathons.

I also like to weight train but am finding it difficult to balance with my running schedule (2 days running 8+ miles). I'd like to be able to weight train at least 3 days a week, but am unsure how I might structure my workouts (muscle group wise).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• inadelirium
    Options
    I have a question for the runners out there. I am a regular runner 5-6 days a week and periodically training for half/marathons.

I also like to weight train but am finding it difficult to balance with my running schedule (2 days running 8+ miles). I'd like to be able to weight train at least 3 days a week, but am unsure how I might structure my workouts (muscle group wise).

Anyone have any suggestions?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Cross training will benefit you GREATLY. It's worth the time and effort, and even worth trading in a couple miles to make time for training. To promote change and avoid de-training (which happens after three days unfortunately), you should perform resistance exercise 3 times per week. Work your legs between two shorter days, and keep the reps higher to train for endurance. However, this doesn't mean that you should do sets of 30 squats and not be sweating bullets. High rep training should be just as challenging as lower rep training. Your two other days can incorporate some leg work if you pick good multi joint movements, but it'd be easier on you to focus on upper body until you've adapted to the training and have an easier time running after lifting.

That said, there are a million and one ways to structure a workout. I split mine into a power day, a functional strength day, and an endurance day, but when I started I did a plain old upper/lower 4 day split. Are you wondering about exercise order? What exercises to choose?
  • inadelirium
    Options
    That sounds about right SBS. I was just hoping I could squeeze it into 3 days, I know the 4 days split (2 upper/2 lower) works well. I have been weight training since HS so I'm use to it, I'm just trying to be time efficient, as my schedule just got busier here recently.

So I guess the only question is could those 4 weight training sessions be done in half an hour or would it require longer time? And if I took a day off (for my long run) in between the 4 day split would it still be as effective? Thanks for your input!
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I am only training for a 5k, so it is a little bit different, but I will share what I am doing. I have the firm and also the biggest loser sculpt DVDs, along with pilates. I am running, 40-50 min one day and then I do the sculpting video--either power sculpt or the firm, and the next day I walk 50 min and do Pilates. I then have a high heart rate day and a not so high heart rate day. My body seems to appreciate that and I feel that I am getting good results. :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    That sounds about right SBS. I was just hoping I could squeeze it into 3 days, I know the 4 days split (2 upper/2 lower) works well. I have been weight training since HS so I'm use to it, I'm just trying to be time efficient, as my schedule just got busier here recently.

So I guess the only question is could those 4 weight training sessions be done in half an hour or would it require longer time? And if I took a day off (for my long run) in between the 4 day split would it still be as effective? Thanks for your input!

You can do 3 days. I'd do one lower, and two upper, or maybe 3 full body days with different 'focuses', like one focus on pushing, one on pulling, and one on functional movements. Pushing would be like squats and chest presses, pulling would be deadlifts and rows/lat pulls, and functional movements would be things like plyometrics, unassisted pullups, and regular pushups--things that challenge us but use our own body weight. The purpose of the 3/4 days is to have days off--I wouldn't do two days in a row. It's good to take one day off entirely if you can.