Fitness/weightloss shakes

What is the general option of weight loss shakes? I am talking about the "higher end" kind....not like slimfast. Reliv has one. Body By Vi....viSalus is another. I don't want to rely on a shake for my weight loss. I like food. I like to cook. I like to eat. However, I have had friends who have had great success on both the above products. My question would be, I guess, is how long to you have to keep taking the shakes? forever? and if you stop, does all the weight come back? Anyone w/ experience out there? Not immediate, but later on in life.

Replies

• Jenene88
    Jenene88 Posts: 281 Member
    I drink shakeology, you can stop at any time and won't gain anything back as long as you still eat healthy. Shakeology is more of a meal replacement shake and it has a lot of good stuf in tere that body by vi doesn't have. I have heard that the body by vi does make you lose weight same with advocare, I just don't know how thoses ones work. I know shakeology is more like a vitamin and repaces ur meal where body vy vi is only a meal replacment
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Meal replacement shakes create a calorie deficit, which is why you lose weight. On MFP, that deficit is still created but you eat real food instead of shakes. My problem with the shakes is at some point, you will need to eat like a normal person who ingests normal amounts of food. No one will drink shakes for 2 meals a day the rest of their life, so you may as well figure out how to eat now rather than down the road when you are sick of "eating" shakes.

Edited to add: I was referring to meal replacement shakes, not protein shakes that people use to supplement their diet, not to replace meals.