muscle mass vs strength

Options
Every time I read discussion about losing weight that leads to.... "you need to drop fat and not muscle" I keep thinking about it but maybe just now started to really research the matter.

I have been lifting weights on a regular basis for the last 10 years. During that time my body weight has been anywhere from 220 to near 300 pounds. I have not done a single rep max lift of any kind since high school (20+ years ago). As an adult I have always used a set weight for a certain lift and gone by the number of reps to keep track of where I am, with the barbell flat bench being the main indicator. At my strongest I acheived 225 for 14 reps, but my body weight was 295ish and my calorie intake was around 4000.

So as a person drops body weight is it a valid indicator of where the weight is coming from (fat or muscle) or how well the process is going based off of strength checks? I am 60 pounds down from my 300 days and can still get 11 reps of 225.

Replies

• shockedsoshocked
    Options
    If you're doing resistance work you'll more than likely retain muscle mass. You can still lose muscle mass and get stronger if you do the correct things.