Help me choose a HRM

Options
I know this has been posted a few times but I have searched many posts and not found the answer I'm looking for. I am interested in buying a HRM that calculates calories burned, length of session, km/miles ran/biked, GPS, heart rate.

I strength train at the gym, do the elliptical and treadmill at the gym and run outside. I want to take up biking this summer as well.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a HRM? I want something user friendly and a decent brand like Polar or Garmin. I don't want too many featues because I won't use them and I don't want to be overwhelmed by too many features. I am also wondering if anyone knows whether a HRM can measure strength training sessions at the gym? I mostly do circuit training and I want to monitor how many calories I'm burning so I can keep myself on track for my weight loss goals (10 lbs lost and only 6 more lbs to go!!!)

Thanks in advance! Any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Do you have a smartphone (iPhone, Android phone, phone capable of running standalone apps)?

Half of what you describe below can be downloaded or purchased cheap from the AppStore or Market without having to purchase a fully-featured HRM. Most of the time you'll have your phone with you so it kinda makes sense - I see heaps of people at the gym and out on the roads using the neoprene armbands, headphones and their phones to play music while they exercise - this just takes it a step further.

I have a Samsung Galaxy and use Endomondo to track exercise - it tracks distance, pace, speed, altitude, estimated calories burned and can be set up with a HRM to work out exact calories burnt (there are pre-set sports profiles that estimate the amount of energy burnt per mile / km). It also stores all routes and other data online so you can track progress. I would thoroughly recommend it if you're intending to be out and about on a bike.

*edit* Just realised this doesn't really answer your question! The above info is just to take into account if price becomes an issue - if you're already carrying your phone with you, it may be quite a bit cheaper to get a simple HRM device that will work with the phone rather than a complex device that does everything. But if you're wanting everything in the one device, I'm sure there are MFPers who can weigh in with some advice!
  • danielleneumann
    danielleneumann Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Macrocarpa! I do have an iPhone in fact. I have been using it in conjunction with the Nike+ chip that goes in your shoe for the last few years and I've liked it alot however, it doesn't give me enough info and you have to sync it every time you buy a new chip which I find annoying. If you don't sync it kms ran aren't very accurate at all. Downloading Endomondo might be a good idea for me if I buy a heart rate strap. Can you vouch for its accuracy? I'm all for doing as much as possible on my iphone.

It doesn't look like it can calculate pace, or current speed though which would be helpful to me when I'm training for marathons. I would also like to use it at the gym if I can.

I've also looked into the Polar heart rate strap that goes with the Nike+ but it only works with a nano. I can't believe it STILL doesn't work with an iPhone. Stupidest thing ever!!
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I can only vouch for it on the Galaxy - Endomondo hooks into the GPS function on your phone and tracks distance that way.

I presume most models of iPhone do have a form of GPS - a couple of my colleagues have it on their iPhones, one has problems with signal strength now and then but it still seems to be pretty accurate. On my Galaxy it's very accurate - I've only had a couple of instances where it's forgotten where I am and can't refix position - if it's before the halfway mark in the run I'll switch the phone off, restart it, wait till it refixes position, and keep going.

I'm gradually building up to a half marathon and it's been instrumental in keeping me going during some of the longer, harder runs. There's a function called 'audio coach' which reads out the distance travelled, time, and lap time - really handy at maintaining a particular pace for long distances.

Re pace and current speed - on mine it does calculate these? If I press and hold each of the five panels in the Workout screen a list pops up with the options of what to display - duration, distance, speed, pace, avg speed, avg pace, calories, heart rate, average heart rate, goal, and cadence.