Purge and splurge!!

Options
wanderinglight
wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
I'm purging...my closet that is! After almost five months away in Antarctica, I came home to realize that I can get rid of a TON of my crap and clutter.

So, as a reward for donating and ebaying loads of stuff, I am going to buy myself an espresso machine and I was hoping to get some advice. I've been all over the web, checking out coffeegeek and other intimidating forums for reviews, but haven't been able to find an answer to what I want.

Basically, I'm a cappuccino/ latte drinker. So the espresso itself is less important to me than getting good creamy, "microfoamy" steamed milk.

Should I spring for the "real" espresso machines (the pump ones) or should I go with a less-than-$100 model? I definitely want the option to steam milk, not just froth it with a hand-frother or one of the pumps like Bodum makes.

Any advice for a java junkie?? Thanks, MFP!

Replies

• wanderinglight
    Options
    I'm purging...my closet that is! After almost five months away in Antarctica, I came home to realize that I can get rid of a TON of my crap and clutter.

So, as a reward for donating and ebaying loads of stuff, I am going to buy myself an espresso machine and I was hoping to get some advice. I've been all over the web, checking out coffeegeek and other intimidating forums for reviews, but haven't been able to find an answer to what I want.

Basically, I'm a cappuccino/ latte drinker. So the espresso itself is less important to me than getting good creamy, "microfoamy" steamed milk.

Should I spring for the "real" espresso machines (the pump ones) or should I go with a less-than-$100 model? I definitely want the option to steam milk, not just froth it with a hand-frother or one of the pumps like Bodum makes.

Any advice for a java junkie?? Thanks, MFP!
  • Rachael
    Rachael Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Welcome home! Isn't it amazing what we realize we can live without???

I say treat yourself! Sounds like it's been a grueling (but exciting) five months. We have a Gaggia espresso maker and we love it! I'm pretty sure we have the Classic (although we must have an older model than the current Classic - at least from the online pics). It's a great machine...makes a great espresso, latte, cappucino, steamed milk, etc :smile: Feel free to holler if you have any Qs.

Good luck in your quest!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have worked in restaraunts for years. Splurge on the good one or you will end up buy 2 cheaper ones!!

Making that steam is hard on a light weight machine.

Oh and enjoy:drinker: I will take mine with a sprinkle of choclate on top, thank you
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I agree with splurging on the nicer one you will really love and use for a long time. You are getting rid of a bunch of stuff and if this is something you are going to really use and enjoy, then go for the good one! :wink:
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I *love* that you all told me exactly what I want to hear!!!! Splurging is always the right way to go...lol.

I really love the look of the Gaggia...also thinking about a Breveille. Countertop space is a premium for me though. Hmmm. Guess I'll have to head off to Bed, Bath and Beyond to check em out.

I am totally craving a coffee now!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Good idea! go for it.

I love Bed, Bath and Beyond. Dangerous store! :blushing:

And I crave coffee a lot but being pregnant, I have to limit it now! :grumble:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Actually you don't always have to splurge. I have a hamilton beach pump one that makes very good espresso and does a really good job with steaming. I have a friend who has a restaurant one (she use to own a coffee shop) and mine really does work just as well to make a few quick lattes. Now if you are going to be making lots in a row then I'd definately splurge and look into hooking it right up to a water supply.
    I've had mine since 2005 and until a few months ago when I had to go off caffeine I made at least 2 lattes a day.
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    i think I have owned 5 or 6 different espresso machines in the past and always been disapointed! I splurged on a Nespress machine (only drawback is that you have to order coffee from them they have over 12 varieties depending on how robust you like your coffee to taste). It makes a prefect cup EVERYTIME! It is aslo able to froth the milk properly. I also bought a little machine they have called an aerochinno it is totally worth the money and expense...you pour the milk in and push the button and it froths for either a latte or cappuccino...the most wonderful this is that you can choose to have it frothed either hot or cold. This is especially nice when you want a iced latte and don't want it to be watered down by melting ice(unless of course you drink fast!). I will never buy another brand of espresso maker when the one I have dies.....(from overusage)...:tongue:
  • mlmanney
    Options
    oops....typo:grumble: ...the brand of machine is Nespresso...
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    I just wandered into Sur La Table and the dude there gave me an espresso from the Nespresso. YUM! I love it but...I also kinda like the process of grinding coffee, tamping, etc. And I was worried that that aerochinno wouldn't produce the actual "microfoam" that I love. It's overwhelming! I've been reading reviews for the past two hours -- I feel like my head is going to explode.

I LOVE the Francis Francis one or the Gaggia. But am worried about form over function. I'll check out that Hamilton Beach one.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • mlmanney
    Options
    the aerochinno is wonderful!:love: I have a friend that is a vegan and she didn't want to have coffee at my house because she says no one can froth soy milk very well, unless you have a professional machine. I did it for her in the aerochinno and she was very impressed and went out and bought one for herself!
  • wanderinglight
    Options
    OMG! Just bought the Breville Cafe Roma and I LOOOOOVE it! My first espresso came out perfect, with yummy crema on top, and it foams the milk like a dream!

I think as far as price for pump espresso machines goes, it falls more towards the "cheap" end of the spectrum at $229, but I think it's just perfect for me!

Thanks for all the help and advice. I'm toasting you with my double cappuccino right now!
  • IrishLass
    IrishLass Posts: 10
    Options
    I would say splurge...I work for Starbucks and I have a DeLonghi...it's a great machine and the one I have can brew coffee and make expresso and steam milk...it does a nice job steaming the milk (not as nice as the professional one at work) but it does a good job. Also, if you like flavors in your latte, you can buy the syrups from starbucks, both sugared and sugar free. I use the sugar free vanilla and it adds extra flavor to my latte without any calories :happy:
  • mlmanney
    Options
    congrats on making your purchase! enjoy...I know I couldn't get enough when I first got mine!
    :drinker: