Help I'm doing everything right and I haven't lost a pound!

Options
I need help! I have not lost one pound in a whole month! I did lose 4 inches and 1 pant size which I very happy about. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories a day. I exercise 6 days a week anywhere from 1 -2 hours a day. I started seriously increasing my weights during circuit training about 5 weeks ago every since no weight loss. Should I just give it time? Am I replacing fat with muscle? I have 52 lbs left to lose and its hard not to get discouraged. Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you!!!:noway:

Replies

• Danyelljim
    Options
    I need help! I have not lost one pound in a whole month! I did lose 4 inches and 1 pant size which I very happy about. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories a day. I exercise 6 days a week anywhere from 1 -2 hours a day. I started seriously increasing my weights during circuit training about 5 weeks ago every since no weight loss. Should I just give it time? Am I replacing fat with muscle? I have 52 lbs left to lose and its hard not to get discouraged. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you!!!:noway:
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Maybe you need to eat a little more, Are you eating all of your exercise calories?? It seems to me that you might drop really quick if you ate them. Be sure to drink your water and get enough protein to supplement your muscle growth...

Good luck! :bigsmile:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    If you're losing inches and clothing sizes, you're replacing fat with muscle, which takes up less space than fat. So....... congrats!! You're doing the right thing! You may also need to bump up your calories a bit (200-300 per day) for a week or so to trick your body into burning at a higher metabolic rate. Check out the 40+ Club message board; there was info in there about changing amount of calories you eat to trick your body. Good luck and don't get discouraged! :wink: :happy:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Give it time, and stay away from the scales for a while. Losing inches is ALWAYS better than losing pounds. You can exchange a pound of fat for a pound of muscle and still weigh the same, but you'll have lost inches and you'll be healthier.

Also, I believe I've read a post recently that if you are lifting more weights your muscles will store glycogen and show a temporary weight gain....but it's not real, you just have to wait for your body to adjust to the new routine.

The scale can lie to you. It might show a quick 6 pound loss and you're busy patting yourself on the back, only to gain it back the next week. Why? Because it wasn't real weight loss, it was water weight or dehydration. It can also say you're not losing, when you really are reducing your BMI. The scale is just a tool to measure your progress, but there are other more accurate tools, like a tape measurer, how your clothes feel, and how your body feels.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    I am guessing that your doing great. I wouldn't worry since you have the inches lost part and the weight is just the muscle exchange. as long as you are seeing the changes, I wouldn't worry so much about the scale. also the increase in weights for your training probably has had an effect on your muscle mass
    "it has increased"
    keep up the great work, remember drink lots of water, and watch the salt/suger you eat.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    I'd rather lose inches than pounds any day!

If you think you're gaining too much muscle, see about adding some stretch routines to your week or even replace part of your circut training with it.