Confused..........any advice/explanatin would be great

Options
ok, so here is my question............
I have been doing an hour on my treadmill pretty much everyday with a mix of running and very brisk walking at the highest incline and lost weight, was up to 12 of my 22 lbs gone, gained a few back though and now i have seemed to hit a plateau i think and i just bought the 30 day shred and i did it on Sunday and was way too sore to even do any exercise yesterday, so i had planned on doing the 30 day shred every other day and still do my 1 hour on the treadmill everyday.......hubby says i should just do treadmill one day and then 30 day shred the next day and keep alternating and when i asked him why he was just getting annoyed wiith me as i told him i want to boost my workout so i can start losing again and hopefully reach my goal by April 30th. I don't really burn many calories doing the 30 day shred like i do on my treadmill.

any advice would be appreciated and or an explanation as to why he would suggest this....btw he used to workout a lot and was right into weight lifting so i know he must have a reson for it, just would like to know what it is??

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    ok, so here is my question............
    I have been doing an hour on my treadmill pretty much everyday with a mix of running and very brisk walking at the highest incline and lost weight, was up to 12 of my 22 lbs gone, gained a few back though and now i have seemed to hit a plateau i think and i just bought the 30 day shred and i did it on Sunday and was way too sore to even do any exercise yesterday, so i had planned on doing the 30 day shred every other day and still do my 1 hour on the treadmill everyday.......hubby says i should just do treadmill one day and then 30 day shred the next day and keep alternating and when i asked him why he was just getting annoyed wiith me as i told him i want to boost my workout so i can start losing again and hopefully reach my goal by April 30th. I don't really burn many calories doing the 30 day shred like i do on my treadmill.

any advice would be appreciated and or an explanation as to why he would suggest this....btw he used to workout a lot and was right into weight lifting so i know he must have a reson for it, just would like to know what it is??

Thanks!!!!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just to vary your routine, so your body doesn't get used to it. Your body becomes very efficient when you do the same thing day in-day out, and doesn't burn the calories that it does when you keep it guessing.
  • xtina11179
    xtina11179 Posts: 352
    Options
    I would imagine he thinks that it will benefit you to alternate your workout so that your body doesn't get used to doing the same thing everyday and hopefully overcome this plateau. It sounds like legitimate advice to me. And I have started to try this myself, alternating between trreadmill, bike & elliptical and have finally started moving the scale again!! Yippee!!
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    Thanks for the replies,

For the reasons you both said about alternating my workout, that is why i was going to start doing the 30 day shred every other day, as well as my usuall everyday on the treadmill, up untill Sunday i had only just done my treadmill.

I jjust want to burn as many alories as possible so i an get to my goal weight ASAP, we are taking the kids to GWL onApril 30th and i want to be as close as possible to my goal weight by then.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Be sure you have a light day or a day off during the week. I had my first on on Sunday (nothing but stretching). When I went back on my workouts yesterday, I discovered that two of my workout routines were too easy for me!

Resting your muscles and giving them one day out of the week to repair can make a huge difference. I think it has something to do with not letting your body adapt to your workouts.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your calorie burn? Mine during the shred is about 300 calories (sometimes a bit over) in those very intense thirty minutes. I'd have to run (full time) on the treadmill to get similar calorie burn. . .it's actually minute for minute the most calorie burn I get of any exercise I do.

If it's a question of an hour vs. half an hour . . .you could supplement the shred with other cardio or do it twice. (I would not want to do this. . .but it would be possible.)

Also, since the shred includes strength training, it's a really good thing to incorporate.

And. . .your body becomes more efficient at any given task over time. So, eventually you will lose calorie burn. For example, I used to burn about six hundred calories in a spin class. Now, the same class burns about 450. It's a really good idea to mix it up.

That's my novel's worth of 2 cents.:flowerforyou:
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    Be sure you have a light day or a day off during the week. I had my first on on Sunday (nothing but stretching). When I went back on my workouts yesterday, I discovered that two of my workout routines were too easy for me!

Resting your muscles and giving them one day out of the week to repair can make a huge difference. I think it has something to do with not letting your body adapt to your workouts.

i usually have a rest day on saturday as my youngest daughter has gymnastics in the morning and then the rest of the day i never get a workout in, or sometimes a rest day on sunday, it just depends on what all we have going on.
  • JenniferMann24
    Options
    I hit a one to and its over now!! YAY. I was walking 40 min 4-5 times a week. Now Ive been walking 1hr a day for at least 5 times a week. Im getting there anyway.

I would do the treadmill 1 hr on the days you don't do the shred and 40 min on the days you do.

Thats what I would do.:flowerforyou:
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Studies show that the most effective workouts combine strength training with burst of cardio intervals. Keep that heart rate up and you should have no prob getting a similar calorie burn with the shred as you are on the treadmill.
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    How do you measure your calorie burn? Mine during the shred is about 300 calories (sometimes a bit over) in those very intense thirty minutes. I'd have to run (full time) on the treadmill to get similar calorie burn. . .it's actually minute for minute the most calorie burn I get of any exercise I do.

If it's a question of an hour vs. half an hour . . .you could supplement the shred with other cardio or do it twice. (I would not want to do this. . .but it would be possible.)

Also, since the shred includes strength training, it's a really good thing to incorporate.

And. . .your body becomes more efficient at any given task over time. So, eventually you will lose calorie burn. For example, I used to burn about six hundred calories in a spin class. Now, the same class burns about 450. It's a really good idea to mix it up.

for the calorie burn i use whatever my treadmill says and for the 30 day shred on sunday i used my HRM, which i really hate it as it never seems to work when i'm on the treadmill for some reason, and it said i only burned 117 calories doing the 30 day shred. I don't really have any other option for cardio except my treadmill. I have never done a spin class, too self conscience to do any class actually. That is quite the difference in the calorie burn in the spin class, is it because you have lost weight?

Thanks for the help!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I hit a one to and its over now!! YAY. I was walking 40 min 4-5 times a week. Now Ive been walking 1hr a day for at least 5 times a week. Im getting there anyway.

I would do the treadmill 1 hr on the days you don't do the shred and 40 min on the days you do.

Thats what I would do.:flowerforyou:

Glad you got over your plateau! That is a good idea about only doing the treadmill for 40 on the days that i do the 30 day, that spunds like what i may just do!!:flowerforyou:
  • Mom_To_5
    Options
    Studies show that the most effective workouts combine strength training with burst of cardio intervals. Keep that heart rate up and you should have no prob getting a similar calorie burn with the shred as you are on the treadmill.

I found when i did the shred, my HRM would start beeping as i wasn't in my target zone when doing the strength and ab part of it, it was fine when i was doing the cardio part, any suggestions on how to keep it up while doing that part?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options

for the calorie burn i use whatever my treadmill says and for the 30 day shred on sunday i used my HRM, which i really hate it as it never seems to work when i'm on the treadmill for some reason, and it said i only burned 117 calories doing the 30 day shred. I don't really have any other option for cardio except my treadmill. I have never done a spin class, too self conscience to do any class actually. That is quite the difference in the calorie burn in the spin class, is it because you have lost weight?

Thanks for the help!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Nope, I haven't lost weight, just added more muscle mass. Your body just becomes more efficient at an exercise it recognizes over time. That calorie burn seems really low for the shred. . .perhaps the HRM is giving you an inaccurate reading. The calorie burn on any gym equipment is notoriously inaccurate, so it may be telling you a number that's higher than your actual burn. For me, according to HRM, a 30 minute run/walk burns around 300 calories. (I weigh about 140-145, just for comparison.)
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    If it's too easy, maybe you need something more challenging than the 30-day shred. I'm not familiar with it .. are there different levels or something? Maybe you can try another video.
  • CassieNic
    CassieNic Posts: 223
    Options
    ive read many many times that building lean muscle and doing cardio burns calories faster than just doing cardio alone. that could be a reason why he suggested it. good luck. :flowerforyou: