Heart Rate Monitor

Options
2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have the my mio without the chest strap. I didn't know about the chest strap ones when I bought it. A friend told me the chest strap ones were better and took mine off and put it on his arm and showed me both of the readings compared...He was surprised when they were identical each time.
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, where can I buy this Polar FT4 and does it come with a chest strap?

You can buy it at bodytronics.com for $61.88 [no shipping & handling] and it does come with a chest strap :)
  • Raiderxx
    Raiderxx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Like others above me have already said......Polar FT4. I got one a few weeks ago and I love it! It's a great tool to track your calories burned!
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    I have the polar f6. I love it! It even shows me the % of calories burned from fat (based on my heart rate zone.) love it!
  • maieranne77
    maieranne77 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I have the polar ft4 and got it for $62 from bodytronics.com and I LOVE it!

This is me too. It's a good price!
  • mhar_s
    Options
    I've been using a polar F4 for about 3.5 years. The problem with it is that greatly overestimate calories burned. Does anybody know if recent models do that?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I've been using a polar F4 for about 3.5 years. The problem with it is that greatly overestimate calories burned. Does anybody know if recent models do that?

I've never had a problem with mine. Are you changing your stats on the receiver as you lose weight?
  • kristen49233
    kristen49233 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to see this thread! New to MFP and want to start monitoring my calories burned. I'll check out Best Buy this weekend for the Polar FT4!
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Most people buy the Polar. I don't like the look of them, and I've always had good luck with the Timex Ironman watches so I bought one of their HRMs. The calories burned can sometimes be a bit high, so, I throw the HR information into a calculator to double check. It was only $25 w/ the chest strap at the Timex Outlet, so, it works for me. I double checked the HR and that's correct, so that's what matters to me.
  • jodibelle
    jodibelle Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just got the polar FT4 - so far I love it! I got it from bodytronics.com and you can use a coupon code "popo" for 5% off. Puts it right under $60.
  • mhar_s
    Options

I've never had a problem with mine. Are you changing your stats on the receiver as you lose weight?

Yes I am, maybe is just my watch. For example, if trademill indicates 200 calories burned, my watch indicates around 450!!! Spinning classes are valued on 800 calories, etc. I learned to ignore calories and just focus on heart rate. Maybe is time to get a new one. Thank you for answering!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

Yes I am, maybe is just my watch. For example, if trademill indicates 200 calories burned, my watch indicates around 450!!! Spinning classes are valued on 800 calories, etc. I learned to ignore calories and just focus on heart rate. Maybe is time to get a new one. Thank you for answering!

Are you talking about the treadmill at the gym? Gym equipment assumes you're a man, so I'm surprised the calorie burn was lower than your hrm. If it's not asking for your weight/gender/height/age, then it's not going to be accurate, and I think you have to be constantly holding the handle to get a good reading.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. I like the Polar site. I use it to track my progress in more detail than is allowed on here. I have another app that I use to track what the treadmill says at the gym. I wear the monitor and start it at my warm-up, which is generally 15 minutes and burns about 25 calories. After my 45 mins. on the treadmill, the treadmill usually says I burned about 50 more calories than the monitor does after including the 25 calorie warm-up. So it seems my treadmill at the gym is off by about 75 calories. Multiply that by 5 or 6 times a week and you can see the benefit of having an accurate monitor and not over-counting. (Of course, I haven't been really good about eating back all my calories anyway.)
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have the garmin 405cx. Automatically downloads everything to my computer for easy tracking. I love the gps for my outdoor activities. Also bought the footpod for treadmill and track runs and the cadence monitor to use when I am biking indoors. Seems very accurate....lie most others say, the machines way over estimate calories burned!