40 30 30

Options
I've read today about using this ratio for carbs, fat and protein.

MFP recommends 207, 49, 57 which it says is 55%, 35% and 15%. How is this worked out?

Today I took in 213, 26, 75 but as I don't know how it's worked out I don't know what that is.

I'm told to reduce my carbs and increase good fats. My carbs are high because I eat a lot of fruit and veg, natural fruit bars and wholegrain pasta.

I'd like to go for the 40, 30, 30 but don't know where to start on reducing the carbs. Can anyone advise please on how this 40, 30, 30 is calculated and offer advice on how to reduce carbs yet still get my calories in?

Replies

• EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Can you open your diary so we can make suggestions?
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stop eating so much fruit, natural fruit bars and wholegrain pasta. All high in carbs and sugars. Eat more veggies, beans, meats, nuts and eggs.

Holy moly! I just looked at your diary. Stop eating so many fruits! Eat more veggies. You also want to eat proteins with carbs to get sustained energy. Eat carrots with hummus, apples with peanut butter, broccoli with turkey, etc.
  • chipembele
    chipembele Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've opened it :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Stop eating so much fruit, natural fruit bars and wholegrain pasta. All high in carbs and sugars. Eat more veggies, beans, meats, and eggs. Open up your diary and get suggestions.

this!

Add avacado, peanut butter, almonds or other nuts...veggies instead of all that fruit (but don't cut anything out completely)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    apparently spaghetti squash is a good substitute for pasta, doesn't taste like pasta though! I haven't tried it yet, I refuse to cut anything out of my diet, i just have smaller portions
  • EnjoyTheSpin
    Options
    Increase your protein at lunch, and try to balance your carbs between meals rather than saving them all for dinner. An example meal plan that would target a 40/30/30 diet could be:

Breakfast: 1 whole wheat english muffin with 1 T almond butter and an 8 oz low fat latte

Lunch: Sprouted wrap with hummus, chicken, and veggies

Snack: Fruit smoothie with almond milk and protein powder

Dinner: Whole grain pasta with shrimp, salad with tomatoes, avocado, walnuts, vinegar/oil

Hope this helps! :)
  • suebee99
    Options
    I bought this book years ago, and when I followed the meal suggestions, it worked like a charm.

http://www.amazon.com/40-30-30-Fat-Burning-Nutrition-Connection/dp/1569120862

It takes a little calculating to come up with meals that are within the parameters, but once you get the hang of it, it's easier to find combinations that work.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I was a little puzzled by this at first also. My goal was different: 25-25-50(protein). Instead I'm around 50(carbs)-25-25. As far as I can tell MFP probably looks at the nutrition info and calculates calories based on grams then does a percentage breakdown.

I haven't really figured it out and reached my goal. I kinda gave up because I don't really think it's possible on an almost vegan diet. But I think the key is to look at the ratio of each of these macronutrients to a 100cal serving for each food in order to nudge things in different directions.
  • Jessb1985
    Jessb1985 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    this website should answer your questions :)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/#axzz1lGfS0200
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I've read today about using this ratio for carbs, fat and protein.

MFP recommends 207, 49, 57 which it says is 55%, 35% and 15%. How is this worked out?

Today I took in 213, 26, 75 but as I don't know how it's worked out I don't know what that is.

I'm told to reduce my carbs and increase good fats. My carbs are high because I eat a lot of fruit and veg, natural fruit bars and wholegrain pasta.

I'd like to go for the 40, 30, 30 but don't know where to start on reducing the carbs. Can anyone advise please on how this 40, 30, 30 is calculated and offer advice on how to reduce carbs yet still get my calories in?

It's worked out as a percentage.

Carbohydrate and proteins, provide 4 calories per gram, fats 9 per gram.

So you took in 852 calories from carbohydrates, 234 from fats, and 300 from protein - a total of 1386 calories
    And as a percentage its 61/17/22

Hope that helps
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    You can manually set the macros to what you want. I actually have mine set to 40/30/30. That way it's easier to see throughout the day how I'm doing, and what my numbers are. I can then make better choices..i.e. something with more protein if I need it or whatever. Instead of fruit maybe a piece of cheese for example.
  • chipembele
    Options
    It's not easy this diet and fitness lark is it :)
  • lauristewart
    lauristewart Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eat 2 servings of fruit a day, veggies at lunch and dinner....make one meal have no bready carbs a day....I usually choose lunch b/c I can get a grilled chicken salad almost anywhere. Pure protein bars have 20 g of protein in them, protein shakes.....chicken....be careful w/nuts b/c they have a lot of calories....good luck!
  • chipembele
    Options
    How can you set it manually please?
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    go to Home > Goals > Change goals > then select custom and at the top left of that section you can change the %s to suit, then save.
  • beautyreaps
    Options
    The 40:30:30 plan happens to be the Zone Diet. My mother had great success with that plan and has kept it as a part of her lifestyle for 10 years now. Here's a pdf of the plan with meals and foods as well as how to spread it across your day based on gender and size.

http://library.crossfit.com/free/pdf/cfjissue21_May04.pdf

Good luck!
  • chipembele
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies so far. I'm slowly changing my habits and getting rid of the bad stuff, the frequent fast food, bad sugars and refined carbs. I'm getting there but just need some guidance here and there. I only plan on losing another 5lb but still have a bit of a fat stomach.
  • Crawflowr
    Crawflowr Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I believe the 55, 30, 15 split that MyFitnessPal uses are probably based on the Recommended Daily Intakes provided by the USDA.

The following link has a good explanation of how these are worked out, though looking at it they do give you a bit more leeway, i.e
    Adults (19 years and older)
    carbs 45–65%
    fat 20–35%
    protein 10–35%

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/DGAs2010-PolicyDocument.htm
  • I do 40/40/20. Worked for Arnold! haha
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    you can customize your own guidelines on MFP but basically, if you follow a 2000 a day diet and you want a 40/30/30 breakdown you would consume 800 calories a day from protein and 600 calories a day EACH from carbohydrates and fat. This would equate to 200 grams per day of protein, 150 grams of carbohydrates and 66 grams of fat. Hope that helps :)