Shin Splints

Options
I have been running for a couple of months now, after about a year off.... I have not had any problems until the last couple of weeks. I have developed shin splints. I don't feel like I have changed anything, but obviously something is different. Any ideas of what I can do to get past this and continue to run? Running is my favorite workout, so I don't want to give it up.

Replies

• cgallen916
    Options
    I have been running for a couple of months now, after about a year off.... I have not had any problems until the last couple of weeks. I have developed shin splints. I don't feel like I have changed anything, but obviously something is different. Any ideas of what I can do to get past this and continue to run? Running is my favorite workout, so I don't want to give it up.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Could you need new running shoes? That's what I read online could cause them.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    lots of things can cause splints.

yes, running shoes can be the issue, also the surface you are running on can as well. Those are the two most obvious reasons, but also, look at your form, incorrect form can have some serious consequences to the joints and bones of the legs.

check out this site, it has running form on it:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-380-381-388-244-0,00.html
  • marathongirly
    marathongirly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been running for years(have to brag a little...I qualified for the Boston this April..yes, just a little thrilled!) and when I run on sidewalks that when I get shin splints. Good news, I don't really feel the shin splints when I run more when I walk around and other good news is that it usually takes less then 2 wks to go away. So try to at least run on pavement..or better yet a trail and stay away from cement!!!
    Keep on running!!
    jennifer
    www.marathongirly.com
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Everytime I buy a brand new pair of running shoes, I have two problems. 1.) giving them time to break in. I usually use my old pair and walk in my new pair for a week or two, to break them in. 2.) I ALWAYS buy a pair of medicated insoles for added cushion.

I agree, walking on some surfaces will really irritate your joints. Alot of it though, is just weak leg muscles. Its important to not only switch up your running; jogging and sprinting at different speeds. But to also find extra leg exercises to make sure your working every muscle.

Give yourself plenty of recovery time, especially after a hard run. That'll also lessen any chance of injury.

Most importantly, take your time and set reasonable goals. In the long run, it'll be way more beneficial.
    An injury only prolongs your progress.