Fell of the Wagon and Can't Get Back On!

Options
Last May I discovered MyFitnessPal and lost about 25 pounds by September. But since then, I have gone crazy, not caring what I eat. Everyday I think about what I need to do, but I still revert back to my junkfood ways. Any advice would be great!

Replies

• monkeefun
    monkeefun Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm in the exact same boat - last spring was phenomenal, then come summer I fell off. Any suggestions? I could use them too!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i would love some advice too. I have been in a slump. My weigh loss has been slow....2 lbs a month, so i have gotten discouraged. This month has been a tough one for me and my exercising has gone down the drain. I only did 10 days out of the whole month of Jan.... I just can't seem to get out of this slump and start exercising again? it's been over 2 weeks, since i have done anything! i guess ifi had seen better results faster, i would be very motivated, but i exercised daily and nothing!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Remember that depression can take a hold of you and pull you down, You must keep it at bay and be dilligent in your efforts. Mentally prepare yourself every day to do what's right. You know what's right from wrong, so perhaps if you journal out why you are feeling this way when it starts to feel like this, it will help you get a hold of the "WHY".

also, here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    very very good advice!!!! thx you!!!!

how do you make mfp your home page, i can't seem to find where i can ad it?
  • Jeannie5466
    Options
    Great advice Apazman! I have just climbed back on the wagon myself after going through months of the self loathing and beating myself up each day for not following the regime. Ech night I would plan what I would do the next day and obviously I never achieved it and just felt a failure, but would plan again the next evening and so on and the cycle continued until I gave myself permission to have a break form not being able to stick to the diet and exercise. It gave me time to refocus what and where I wanted to be and re-evaluate my unrealistic goals. The wagon now seems much more comfortable! I hope you find your way back onto the wagon soon and give yourself some credit for trying to get back on when others have seen that wagin roll off the cliff!!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I l-o-v-e Apazman's advice...You can do it. If I can do it, anyone can do it!
    Get back on that horse and ride!
  • greengirl1978
    greengirl1978 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It can be difficult to get started, but you have to start somewhere. I agree with other posters who say to start slow. Maybe start by correcting your eating habits for a month or two before working on fitness goals. It is different for every person, but you just have to believe in yourself and celebrate each step of the way. You can do it! :)
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet and where you live, you can help your energy levels a lot by eating things that will supplement whatever the weather is doing to you, cold, hot, dark and rainy, etc. Do a bit of research, make a fresh start, changing your diet will often be enough to kick start you and your weight loss.
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Realizing that you fell off the wagon is the first and most important step of getting back on!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just start again. Don't think about it, just start. Say to yourself that tomorrow you are going to the gym and just go, not excuses. Set alarms, tell friends to nag you, whatever it takes. Usually the first step is the most difficult. And, once you do start, take it slow. Focus on making life changes rather using drastic measures to get an immediate result. If you make life changes it's harder to go back to what you were doing before.
  • hepsi
    hepsi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in 2010 and stopped using it...Gained 20lbs and found MFP again...

Trick is I dabbled in cooking...try it, play with ingredients and spices available to you to come up with delicious, quick healthy food. Something that doesn't require too much planning and provides a nice variety...

Having a receipe to follow goes a long way...

Also, when you are hungry, drink a glass or two of water, and then eat, and never hang around nice smells :bigsmile: , they don't help the matters...

It works for me...so far...fingers crossed
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Write out the reasons why you really want to lose weight. Write out what you don't like about your life and how you'd like it to be next year at this time. Jot down what you know it will take to get there, and what it will take to stay there. Make a decision to do things differently this time around... maybe slower, maybe less consuming of all your time, maybe with added measures to combat everyday life. When you truly examine why you gave up in the past, you'll be able to combat that when you are tempted. Think about what you say to yourself... and be aware of the fact that you are in control, you are able to do this, and you won't let things get in the way. However, be sure your changes are sustainable and go along with your long term goals. ie: You don't want to give up all your free time and have no time left for your spouse or kids, you don't want to get so determined that other folks in your life come secondary. Otherwise, you'll lose the weight, but possibly what you hold dearest too.

Once you are ready to begin:
    Write out your top 10 minimums, daily priority list. Like you might list drinking 64 ounces of water a day. Maybe a minimum of 20 minutes of walking, you know what I mean.... things that you can and should go above, but the minimum effort you are committing yourself to. So when you are about to go to bed, you can look over it and see if you have missed anything.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Oops... I wanted to add:

Plan for your meals over the weekend, you are prepared with foods that fit into your plan throughout the week. Stock up on your favorite low cal snacks and meals.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You CAN get back on the wagon. It's just a matter of whether or not you WILL.

We all have different levels of success at this, and most of us do fall of the wagon a few times. The key to getting back on the wagon is to try not to think about all the months of hard work and dedication ahead of you. Just plan out some good choices for your next meal, and get started working out. Even if it's just a ten minute workout, it counts!
  • abellante_0205
    abellante_0205 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I fell off the wagon after my first year of weight loss... It was just a bad year for me, but at the end I only gained 2 lbs back of the weight I had lost the year before, so I thought it was a success and I called it my mini maintenance time!!! What motivated me to get back up was my sister getting engaged and asking me to be her bridesmaid! :) I have lost 16 plus the 2 lbs i gained back since then!!!! :)
  • ludke
    ludke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - needed to read some encouraging words today. Got sick this week with a nasty sinus infection and didn't feel well enough to do much. It's a miracle I made it through work. After I finally kick the infection after a few more days on medicine, I'm getting back on track with a new elliptical we ordered! Something to look forward to, and kick start my cardio routine again.
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Same thing happen with me. I decide to set goals for myself and slowly starting working on them. It's not easy to so your mind set has to be the most important thing to get started.

Pick something that you're determined to do every day. You could start out with drinking at least four glasses of water; 10 minutes of exercise; 2 fruits/per day.

Do the activity consistently for a couple of days. Once you get in a routine, the rest will fall in place.

I've learned that it's a mind thing. I've decided that with the next 10 lbs I lose I will treat myself to getting my hair done, highlights and all.

I hope this helps.:smile:
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Um.. in my experience you'll do it when you are good and ready. I don't really know what else to say. I was the same way for several months and then one day I just woke up and started all over again. Granted I'm only a little over a month in, but I've lost 22 lbs and going strong. For the first time I feel like this is a truly permanent change. You can't force it. When you are ready you'll know.
  • nahralynn
    nahralynn Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I've kind of learned that if you are waiting for motivation, you might be disappointed. Some things just need to be done. I think I get it now that I just HAVE to do this there isn't going to be a better time (I'm not getting any younger!). Just decide that you are going to do it .. you are going to make better choices today, right now, this moment in time. Don't tell yourself 'i'll start tomorrow' because tomorrow is off with motivation having a grand time without you. If you haven't had dinner yet ... make something healthier and log it in whether or not you have tracked anything else today. If possible go for a walk right now, and if you can when you wake up go for another walk. I've noticed exercising really sets me up for a better attitude about this.

DONT WAIT! YOU CAN GET BACK ON HERE AND BECOME A HEALTHIER YOU!

GOOD LUCK!