Too fat for 30 DS

Options
I've been reading post after post after post about 30 DS. Is this something you should start once you have lost a good bit of weight? I still have about 75 lbs to go until I reach the top of my ideal weight range.

My question is...Am I too fat to go ahead and try it? I know that I won't have 6 pack abs after a month but I know that the muscle underneath the fat can strengthen and the muscle will help to burn fat. I run/walk 5 miles a day slowly building up speed and distance so I'm okay continuing to do that until I lose more weight. Any thoughts?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Too fat? No way! It's great to start at any time, in my opinion. It's great strength training, cardio and some ab work, all rolled into a 20 minute workout - it's doable, and it works. Go for it. :happy:
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Do it!!!

Modify the moves and take as many breaks as you need to.

If you stick with it, it will be an amazing way to SEE and FEEL your fitness level increasing. You will have something to measure against, from day one, where maybe you couldn't do all the jumping jacks, to day 30 where you can. Or something like that :)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It can be done. A lot of people have shared their results, at all stages of their weight loss. Some heavier than others. You might need to take longer at each level, depending on your own fitness level. I say give it a try. Even if you can't get through it all, if you keep trying you will build up to it. I'm a fan.
  • LazyDaise
    LazyDaise Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    There is Jillian at the front and two girls behind her, one is doing the 'easy' option and the other the 'hard' option. So you can go at your own level!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your current weight is, but I'm about 100 pounds away from my goal weight and I do the 30DS 5 days a week. I have never advanced past level 1 and I still follow the easy chic, but I still lose inches each time I do it. Go for it!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love it too and you are very OK to get going. Do as much as you can. Everyday gets easier. I also like shred it with weights. A little less bouncy but a little longer workout.
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    no way!!! i still have 80lbs til goal (& i am big) & i kept thinking i am too fat too... but i just completed day 3 of 30DS tonight!!! while on some of the moves i follow the girl in it doing the modified version of the move, i'm still doing it & i can definitely feel the burn. you should totally do it!!!!
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    jillian says in the first 5 minutes "i have 400 lb people who can do this. SO CAN YOU" so i highly doubt it. unless you are 401lb of course.
  • Swampstar
    Swampstar Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    30DS is for everyone and anyone, there's nothing saying you have to do a full workout either, build it up like you are with your walking/running. If you can only manage 10 mins, then do 10 mins. The next time push a little harder.

Where did you get the weight loss simulator from on your ticker?? Been looking for one for months!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Do it! Don't convince yourself that you're too fat for anything! You can absolutely do anything you want and don't let anyone (or yourself) tell you otherwise!

If you're concerned see if your library has it--or other videos--so you can try them out. If you enjoy it, do it!
  • theonenonlykris
    Options
    I am doing the 30 DS challenge group on MFP and I have 150 lbs to lose. Its hard at first, but definitely starting to do the non-modified moves the second day.
  • dvm_meggles
    dvm_meggles Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm also 100 pounds away from "normal" weight, and I do it following all the advanced moves (except for pushups). I also use 5 pound weights (but started with 3). Just keep in mind when you start, that it is generally difficult for everyone, so stick with it. It does get (a little) easier:smile:
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any joint issues, I say you will be fine. I had to stop 30 DS after day 13 becase of severe pain in my hips and knees. I weigh over 200 lbs. I put on the back burner until I have lost some more weight so that my joints can handle it. I have been doing well with TurobFire to give you an idea of how much activity I can handle.

Good luck!
  • machinegunkate
    machinegunkate Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 &105 kgs (233lbs) and I'm doing it! :) In fact I'm using it as a stepping stone to go onto Insanity and p90x. There are modified versions of the exercises, and the workout only goes for roughly 20-25 mins.

At the end of the day I think everyone is capable of doing anything, it's just about pushing yourself and being patient, and knowing that you'll get stronger and stronger the more you try. Go for it! :)
  • AParker1974
    AParker1974 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am on my second round of the 30 day shred, I still have about 50 lbs left in my goal. Just take it slow, stay in level one until you feel comfortable to move up, but you can do it :)
  • hellotina
    hellotina Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    jillian says in the first 5 minutes "i have 400 lb people who can do this. SO CAN YOU" so i highly doubt it. unless you are 401lb of course.

LOL!!!!!!!
  • ashlee2012
    Options
    I definitely agree with everyone. It is definitely challenging, starting this program when you are still very out of shape, but each day you do it, it gets easier.

I am 116lbs from my goal (down from 128lbs away when I started my journey!) and just completed my second day of 30ds. I feel my work out in my body. It's not always comfortable, but it is definitely doable, and definitely worth it! Best of luck to you, you can do it!
  • JollyJane13
    JollyJane13 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm like 160 pounds over weight and I do it every day. It WORKS, I am losing inches and pounds. Its hard at first, but you will build up strength and endurance.
  • TitansGirl96
    TitansGirl96 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200lb and do the 30DS. It kicks my butt however Jillian talks to you and keeps you going. I love it.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I just ordered it from WM for $6.93 pretty excited about the price and to begin! :bigsmile: