Diet when working LOOONG Hours!

Options
I am a nurse working 12 hour shifts. I am wondering what kind of foods or snacks do you guys take to work to stay on track? Any tips will be helpful. :smile:

Replies

• marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I like to take alot of snack type foods. Hard boiled eggs, apples with peanut butter, cucumbers, carrots, nuts, salads, cheese and crackers, grapes etc. I prefer things that are really easy to prepare. But that I can easily grab and snack while I continue to work. I recently tried Crunchmaster crackers, my new favorite crunchy snack in place of chips. They are Gluten free and come in a few different flavors. I am looking forward to hearing others favorites.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am also a nurse and frequently do not get a break for lunch. I always bring a EAS protein shake and mojo clif bars to have for lunch in a pinch and I always bring a bag of carrots to eat on the commute home so I don't dive into the pantry when I do get home.
  • hjollyrn
    hjollyrn Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I too work 12 hour shifts. I tend to pack an entire lunch bag full of different things that are easy to snack on and so I have options. On any given day I typically have the following in my house to choose from to take.

Special k fruit crisps, kashi cereal bars (taste way better than nutrigrain bars), cereal (multigrain cheerios are yummy, sometimes I indulge in trix or fruit loops), bananas, grapes, special k cracker chips, popchips, veggies (carrots, peppers), bagels, English muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, apples (already cut up), string cheese

For my actual lunch I like to bring leftovers, turkey sandwich, tuna on tortilla, smart ones.

I think the most important part is being prepared. If I bring a bunch of stuff to eat my days are better, if I'm lazy the night before and don't pack much of a lunch or don't pack one at all my day turns awful!!

Good luck! Feel free to add me!
  • Kempossible
    Kempossible Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    THANKS!!!