Protein?!?! effects of too much??

Options
Ok, I'm on day 4 of p90x and I'm loving the upping of my protein intake. I was just wondering I guess what the dangers of having too much protein in your diet could cause?

Today I was over my goal level by 40+ points..

Replies

• amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    in simple bone rot ... it produces too much of an alck substance in the boy then take calcium from the bones storage sites to nutralise it.... but it would take heaps and heaps for this, so dont stresss you'll be fine! also too much protein can lead to weight gain. and im sure that i could list a few others but you dont need too even worry!!!!! just dont over protein every day!!!!!
  • Saezimmerman
    Saezimmerman Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you don't go over like that very often you should be ok, but a high protein diet can put stress on the kidneys. If you have high blood pressure or another kidney disease risk factor you should be cautious.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Drink tons of water to avoid kidney issues.
  • DavidNewOrleans
    Options
    I doubt you have anything to worry about. Very unlikely you could ever consume enough to cause any damage. Drinking water is healthy and advisable for heavy protein consumption but unless you are a bodybuilder, I doubt if you will come close to that amount. I am a 200lb man who consumes 200-300 grams a day and I don't have any problems. You need the protein to gain muscle, it also keeps you full and eating less. It is a necessity in weight training.
  • neaneawy
    neaneawy Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    You need that extra protein right now for your muscles to recover and build after your workouts. My DH has been working out hard that last couple weeks and following MFPs suggestions for his carb/fat/protein requirements. He stepped just slightly off and received a pretty serious sprain in his ankle. Dr. said he wasn't getting enough protein for the type of workouts he's been doing. I'm not familiar with P90x, but I've heard of it. I'm sure the high protein intake is to help you recover quickly between workouts. DH had to add protein shakes to get his protein levels up high enough.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    You can safely take in 1.5 grams of protein per pound and you'll be totally fine...I'm 115lbs and take in 180+grams a day...no worries
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    MFP's default protein levels are pretty low. They should be around 1 gram per pound of lean body weight (or ideal weight).
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    your protein setting is low to begin with so don't worry about it.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 250-300g protein per day for almost a year now with no ill effects. I know of many people who control their insulin resistance, PCOS, diabetes, epilepsy and other conditions using a low-carb high-protein diet. It has been wonderful for me.

IF you have bad kidneys to start with, then processing higher amounts of protein will stress them (kind of like the way strenuous cardio can cause a heart attack, but only if you have a weak heart already). And IF you are taking insulin to regulate your metabolism, too much protein could throw off the balance & cause a dangerous condition called ketoacidosis. But if you are healthy, there are really no risks to increased protein, and many benefits.
  • jwalker30
    Options
    From what I've read there have been studies done in Rats that have shown potential kidney damage, but no studies to show that it would harm humans(yet...). I eat about 1.5 grams per pound, and have been doing so for a few years & I am still okay.
  • melrose09
    Options
    According to ACSM, the average adult needs .8 grams per kg of body weight (kg = 2.2 pounds) and for and adult athlete it's 1.2-1.7g per kg of body weight with endurance athletes being on the higher end of that spectrum and strength athletes

ETA: your proteins should be 12-15% of your caloric intake
  • willschilling
    Options
    According to ACSM, the average adult needs .8 grams per kg of body weight (kg = 2.2 pounds) and for and adult athlete it's 1.2-1.7g per kg of body weight with endurance athletes being on the higher end of that spectrum and strength athletes

That "12-15%" you speak of is the reason this country is fat. Explain to me why that number is so low? Carbs are our main source of fuel especially when involved in physical activity, protein is next, followed by fat when in an anti-catabolic state. Why would anyone in their right mind have 85% of their diet in fats and carbs? You'd be obese(and possibly diabetic) in less than a year.

ANYWAYS. No, there really isn't a reasonable limit to your protein intake. It increases your satiety and your body USES more thermic energy to actually digest protein over carbs and then fat. I've been a diet that requires a minimum of 1.5g per lb of lean body mass... Only problem I have with that, is actually STUFFING MY FACE to get in all those grams of protein every day.

Don't worry about it.
  • melrose09
    Options

That "12-15%" you speak of is the reason this country is fat. Explain to me why that number is so low? Carbs are our main source of fuel especially when involved in physical activity, protein is next, followed by fat when in an anti-catabolic state. Why would anyone in their right mind have 85% of their diet in fats and carbs? You'd be obese(and possibly diabetic) in less than a year.

ANYWAYS. No, there really isn't a reasonable limit to your protein intake. It increases your satiety and your body USES more thermic energy to actually digest protein over carbs and then fat. I've been a diet that requires a minimum of 1.5g per lb of lean body mass... Only problem I have with that, is actually STUFFING MY FACE to get in all those grams of protein every day.

Don't worry about it.

Well, don't forget vitamins and minerals (fruits and vegetables). That is a widely overlooked aspect of diet.

ETA: Fat should be NO MORE than 35%, ideally 25%. Leaving a LOT of room in our stomachs for fruits and veggies which overlap in the carb category which should make up 55% of our diet (65% for an athlete). Carbs are not just in bread and pasta
  • AlbertPooHoles
    AlbertPooHoles Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Epic farts, sometimes. Also, nice meaty stool.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get an engagement ring after a while.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You can safely take in 1.5 grams of protein per pound and you'll be totally fine...I'm 115lbs and take in 180+grams a day...no worries

was going to suggest something like this...I checked your diary and your goal was at 54 i think, so to go over by 40 is not as bad as it looks. Esp doing P90x you need the protein :)
  • mathen2
    mathen2 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Well with lots of protein, you ph level is off balance. They say by taking in more greens, it balances your pH level out.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm on day 4 of p90x and I'm loving the upping of my protein intake. I was just wondering I guess what the dangers of having too much protein in your diet could cause?

Today I was over my goal level by 40+ points..

Was that over the MFP goal or over the goal in the P90X diet plan? MFP gives you 15%, whereas phase 1 of P90X wants you to get 50% so you have to more than triple the MFP amount to = the P90X amount. You can change you goals by going to:
    goals > change goals > custom.
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get an engagement ring after a while.

I was gonna say pregnancy depending on the point of intake
  • willschilling
    Options
    Vitamins and Minerals are completely irrelevant with regards to "Fruits and Vegetables." You're comparing a micro and a macro.
    Well with lots of protein, you ph level is off balance. They say by taking in more greens, it balances your pH level out.

Your pH levels are never shifted to an unhealthy level when on a high protein diet because those who actually FOLLOW that diet know to eat their greens and eat heatlhy.