Sleepy Today

hiddensecant
hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
Do you ever get sleepy after a workout? I don't know why but I'm really sleepy after my afternoon workout today. It was a good workout and I still feel it in my arms and legs .. doesn't hurt or anything, kinda like a mild ache but it feels good (if I'm making any sense, lol).

I've been exercising for about a month now but this is new to me. Thoughts?

Replies

• hiddensecant
    Do you ever get sleepy after a workout? I don't know why but I'm really sleepy after my afternoon workout today. It was a good workout and I still feel it in my arms and legs .. doesn't hurt or anything, kinda like a mild ache but it feels good (if I'm making any sense, lol).

I've been exercising for about a month now but this is new to me. Thoughts?
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    It could be low blood sugar, make sure you eat something after you work out. That's usually the common reason...

Although it happens to me, and I get really cold in the afternoons too, and have to nap, on days I work out. (It's not my blood sugar because I tested it...) And I'm a big girl, I never get cold...
  • hiddensecant
    It shouldn't have anything to do with blood sugar ... I have a soy protein shake after workouts.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Yea, it's called working hard. :laugh: I nap a lot. It's the only way I can train multiple times in a day. I always have a wholesome pre-workout meal with plenty of carbohydrates about 2 hours before I work out and another one after I work out. But I get tired because my body still has to be pretty much stationary to recover and rebuild. So I listen and nap. I loooooove naps. :smooched:
  • hiddensecant
    So I'm doing something right then? hehe.

I am definitely working harder. After my Sunday "break" I found my Monday workouts too easy so I did an extra 40 minutes and am doing the more advanced yoga videos now.

I'm not a fan of naps though. :grumble:
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    If i work out really hard then I am usually pretty sleepy afterwords. It is normal, just make sure you listen to your body and you will be just fine. Good luck.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member

I am definitely working harder. After my Sunday "break" I found my Monday workouts too easy so I did an extra 40 minutes and am doing the more advanced yoga videos now.

Not a nap fan! :noway: Naps are like the chocolate chips in sprinkled in the cookie dough of your day! :laugh: If you're really super tired, just go for 15-20 minutes. You won't wake up groggy because you won't enter a REM cycle. I always feel like I just drank a pot of coffee after one of those little naps.
  • hiddensecant

Not a nap fan! :noway: Naps are like the chocolate chips in sprinkled in the cookie dough of your day! :laugh: If you're really super tired, just go for 15-20 minutes. You won't wake up groggy because you won't enter a REM cycle. I always feel like I just drank a pot of coffee after one of those little naps.

Thank you :tongue:. I have a stretch scheduled for tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I wont need it. But I'll keep it in mind for Thursday and Friday.

I haven't had a problem first thing in the morning, thankfully .. and I always have my harder workout then.
  • Anaryne26
    Anaryne26 Posts: 23 Member
    I also get really sleepy after a good work out. I know this may not work for some people, but I go to the gym late at night, after I'm all done studying and doing whatever I may need to do for the day. When I get back from the gym, a good hot shower is all that's needed to knock me out so I sleep really well. I've been waking up really refreshed and ready for the day since I've been working out like this.
  • I workout at night too. During the day makes me too sleepy, I cant always take naps. Having a child doesnt allow that so I do it at night and get a load of energy. When I'm done I sit down and read to relax and get myself back down so I can sleep at night.
This discussion has been closed.