Daily Exercise Makes You Weaker?

Options
I was at the gym tonight doing some light stretching in the strength room before my zumba class, and there was a couple doing core work next to me. The girl was complaining that she does ab exercises everyday and she's not seeing results. Her boyfriend replied, "Well, yeah, you're not supposed to do it EVERY day. Daily exercise makes you weaker." I swear every girl's head in that room turned to him at the point. None of us believed him. Then he went into this lengthy lecture about anatomy, physiology, biology, and all this other smart-sounding stuff, and I'm left to wonder...does daily exercise really make you weaker, or was that a load of bull? I know you're supposed to take one or two days off a week, but most athletes train daily, so I can't see the constant exercise making you weaker.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    it sure can..rest is when our bodies recover and grow and get better. without rest all you are doing is stressing your body.

and all the 'core' work in the world wont give you a flat tummy.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    It is generally recommended that you rest muscle groups 48 hours in-between working them when doing strength-training which includes body-weight work like ab work. For the reasons xraychick77 stated.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Well muscles like abs and calves can be worked out a little more frequently than larger muslce groups, but you should in no way work them every day.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    There is a such thing as trying too hard, but yes, I would turn my head to see who was speaking if I heard a male voice using the word "weaker" to describe a female.... I want to know exactly what is being said before I start jumping to conclusions.
  • spartacus69
    Options
    As Tony Horton says in the Ab Ripper X video, "the rule of the day is: don't do this every day!"
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Well muscles like abs and calves can be worked out a little more frequently than larger muslce groups, but you should in no way work them every day.

I'd say that depends on how intensely they've been worked. If they are aching from a prior workout, better to stretch and rest them until the aching alleviates a bit. And if they're not getting sore from your ab workouts, you're really not working them hard enough. All just IMHO.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    As Tony Horton says in the Ab Ripper X video, "the rule of the day is: don't do this every day!"

I can't get through half of Ab Ripper X, let alone do it every day lol.
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone! This makes so much more sense than the science lecture I was given. I'm not a biology/chemistry major anymore for a reason: I just don't understand it! lol, I need the simplified version.
  • Blossom41290
    Blossom41290 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    well the girl in question was not going about her goal in the correct way and the guy was giving her incorrect advice about her goal

no matter how many sit ups/press ups she does a day every single day, if she does not incorporate cardio inbetween these days or during these exercises then of course she will not see results.

As for exercising everyday, i do from mond-weds then friday -sun i only have one day break between, However i usually only do strength training 2 times a week