atkins diet

Options
Hello , Just wondering is anyone out there doing the atkins diet. I just started on it and have loss about 3 pounds in a week.The scale had stoped moving before I had started the diet. I thought something was wrong . I worked out 5-6 days a week watched my diet and the scale had stoped.Now that the scale is moving when do I bring the carbs back in.I know the book say's two weeks but what if I go carb crazy.:huh:

Replies

• deannaboo
    deannaboo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello , Just wondering is anyone out there doing the atkins diet. I just started on it and have loss about 3 pounds in a week.The scale had stoped moving before I had started the diet. I thought something was wrong . I worked out 5-6 days a week watched my diet and the scale had stoped.Now that the scale is moving when do I bring the carbs back in.I know the book say's two weeks but what if I go carb crazy.:huh:
  • justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Every one of my friends who went on the Atkins diet gained all the weight they lost and then some. The best thing I found for myself was portion control, stay on my daily goals (write down everything I eat) and excercise. Since I have been on MFP, I have taken a real schooling on a well balanced diet. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Every one of my friends who went on the Atkins diet gained all the weight they lost and then some. The best thing I found for myself was portion control, stay on my daily goals (write down everything I eat) and excercise. Since I have been on MFP, I have taken a real schooling on a well balanced diet. Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

I agree 100% with justdoingit!! Everyone I know lost a great deal, but gained EVERYTHING back and even more.
    Just take advice from this site, and the wonderful people on it......it DOES work.

Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • deannaboo
    Options
    That's it I have been on this diet before and have loss lot's of weight. 75 pounds and when I finally started bringing the carbs back in I lost it. I will admit I have put some weight back on 25 pounds. But why does it seem that when you let the starchy stuff go the weight melts off.
  • fishernd
    fishernd Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    PLEASE do not do Atkins! I lost 30 pounds in college and gained it all back and then some! Your body needs carbs! I've now lost nearly 30 pounds doing it the right way, and not depriving myself of anything. Listen to the other people on here when they say to work on portion control and calorie counting. It's the only way to lose weight (with exercise, of course)!
  • lovely78
    lovely78 Posts: 8
    Options
    the atkins diet is only a short term solution. also, the problem with that diet is high cholesterol due to the large amounts of protein. dr atkins' focus was only on the weight, but his diet never considers the overall health consequences.
  • deannaboo
    Options
    Alright !:mad:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    You can try using MFP to start weaning yourself onto a more balanced plan ... just start tossing some 5% of your protein percentages over to carbs every few days. That way you wont be tempted to go "carb crazy" and you might be able to keep those results over the long term.

Most of us believe in moderate protein ... about 30% on average but rarely more than 50%.
  • lovely78
    lovely78 Posts: 8
    Options
    That's it I have been on this diet before and have loss lot's of weight. 75 pounds and when I finally started bringing the carbs back in I lost it. I will admit I have put some weight back on 25 pounds. But why does it seem that when you let the starchy stuff go the weight melts off.

too many carbs = weight gain. if your body is digesting too much glucose, it turns into fat if its not burned off. also if too many carbs are "simple" (i.e. white rice, white bread, white flour) digest to sugar very quickly in your body. complex carbs (i.e. whole grains, oats) provide energy that carbs are intended for in the diet, but don't turn to glucose as quickly and actually help regulate the sugar levels in your body.

when you stop eating simple carbs, your blood sugar decreases and so does your weight
  • PamKay
    PamKay Posts: 19
    Options
    I have known a couple of people that followed the atkins diet and they lost a ton of weight but as soon as they went off the diet they gained it all back plus a whole lot more. Sorry, but I don't think it is a good idea and bound to cause health issues down the road. Like the others said, moderation and exercise is the KEY!
    Pam
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds on the atkins diet several years ago... and I won't lie to you, after the first few weeks - I felt great! But when I started adding carbs back in, I started gaining. After I went off of the Atkins diet, despite NOT overeating - I continued to gain. It took a long time for my body to calm down.

I've been following MFP for a week now and have lost 10 pounds - which is much more than I lost my first week on Atkins... and the changes don't stop there... my skin looks better, I can feel muscle, I didn't have any "withdrawals" like I did with Atkins (ya know, when you're so tired because your body is trying to figure out how to get energy), I totally don't feel like I have to deprive myself of anything... I ATE TACO BELL the other night and still lost weight!

The thing is MFP shows you how to lose weight in a healhy manner... Atkins... not so much.