plantar fasciitis

Options
Its doubtful I spelled it right, but I was enjoying week 2(repeated week 1 twice) when I developed this! Has anyone tried to run with it? If not, what workout should I try? I haven't attempted to work out on it yet, its not gone, but mostly better. I don't want to reinjure it.

Replies

• Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    I have had this.
    I was hesitant to run on it... I switched to a recumbent bike and elliptical.
    My sister's running coach had me fill a water bottle with water and freeze it. I then rolled the bottom of my foot on the frozen bottle for ten to fifteen minutes several times a day.
    The water bottle worked very well. The ice decreased inflammation, the rolling motion gently stretched out the fascia and broke up any scar tissue. I recovered after about two weeks.
    I still do the water bottle thing after runs.

I have no credibility as a coach, and only speak from my own experience, but I would not run on plantar fasciitis for fear of making it worse, or developing an uneven gait to cope with pain and thus injuring something else.
  • breeanreyes
    breeanreyes Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    be sure to stretch your feel out REALLY well before and after working out and look into some arch supports specifically for your feet. also investing in better running shoes could help. just a little advice from a LMT. Also, ICE ICE ICE! i agree with the post above :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i worked in a ortho office..and those who came in with this got orthotics and it helped them.
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i have self diagnosed myself with this, and i have had heel pain for over a year. I have had to accept that i will most likely hurt each time i step down for a very very long time. Everything I have read about plantar fasciitis says it can take months to years to heal. I had hoped that losing weight would help ease some of the pain, but it is still just as tender as the first day i felt it. The ice bottle on the bottom of my heel sounds like it may help, thanks for the advice.
    I do not run but i still do all the jumping exercises on fitness dvds and i walk alot. It hurts but i figure its not going to kill me so i'll just bear with it.
    I really wish that the recovery time was about two weeks like you previous posters have said, but i think maybe you just bruised your heel if it healed that quick. im not doctor though ha!
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    Naw, it was signature plantar faciitis. The entire arch of my foot was painful. But I immediately stopped all high impact exercises and even walking for fitness at the first sign of pain. I don't think it had much of a chance to progress and I was very young (20) which helps with healing.
  • MermaidFaith
    Options
    Naw, it was signature plantar faciitis. The entire arch of my foot was painful. But I immediately stopped all high impact exercises and even walking for fitness at the first sign of pain. I don't think it had much of a chance to progress and I was very young (20) which helps with healing.

Hmmm i see. well maybe i am diagnosing myself wrong then, all of my pain is directly in my heel, feels like a pencil is being shoved into my heel bone
  • paledi
    paledi Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    All my pain was just in my heels. It got so bad I had to stop running completely. I finally had orthotrispy done on bone heels and wore orthotics for a year and haven't had any problems since. It bothered me most in the mornings or when i got up or after sitting awhile. Ice, ice, Ice. My doc had me freeze a bottle of water and roll my arches and heels on it. Hope you get relief soon.
  • jeepwidow01
    Options
    I had plntar fasciitis in both feet after starting Jazzercise. Do A LOT of stretching (search online for the stretches) as well as rolling your foot on a bottle of ice. My dr. also had me put ice in a bag and just lay it over my feet so it was more targeted than the iced bottle. That helps to massage your foot and such, but the cold doesn't stay on the inflammed part for a long period of time. Before getting out of bed in the morning, lay on your back and try pulling your toes up toward you so you are stretching out your calves. That help help lessen some of that pain when you first get up in the morning.

Also, do not go barefoot in the house. That was a really hard one for me. I invested in a pair of Crocs so I could keep them by the door and slip them on and off.

Also, I went to a local running store (this one was extremely knowledgable and such) and he recommended a pair of inserts that did help for awhile as well.

I let my fasciitis go too long before seeing a dr. so I did end up having surgery (less than 10% end up needing this). If the stretching, icing, etc does not work in a week or so, go see a dr. He/she can get prescribe orthodics that fit to your feet and such.

Good luck!
  • MermaidFaith
    Options
    I had plntar fasciitis in both feet after starting Jazzercise. Do A LOT of stretching (search online for the stretches) as well as rolling your foot on a bottle of ice. My dr. also had me put ice in a bag and just lay it over my feet so it was more targeted than the iced bottle. That helps to massage your foot and such, but the cold doesn't stay on the inflammed part for a long period of time. Before getting out of bed in the morning, lay on your back and try pulling your toes up toward you so you are stretching out your calves. That help help lessen some of that pain when you first get up in the morning.

Also, do not go barefoot in the house. That was a really hard one for me. I invested in a pair of Crocs so I could keep them by the door and slip them on and off.

Also, I went to a local running store (this one was extremely knowledgable and such) and he recommended a pair of inserts that did help for awhile as well.

I let my fasciitis go too long before seeing a dr. so I did end up having surgery (less than 10% end up needing this). If the stretching, icing, etc does not work in a week or so, go see a dr. He/she can get prescribe orthodics that fit to your feet and such.

Good luck!

After your surgery did the pain go away
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My DPM has some great information on his website..... nwfootankle.com, it's an article he wrote. I worked for a DPM for numerous years, so am super picky, I travel far to work with this man, he's very good. His website has a bunch of useful information. He's also a marathon runner, so understand fitness well.
  • JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Hmmm i see. well maybe i am diagnosing myself wrong then, all of my pain is directly in my heel, feels like a pencil is being shoved into my heel bone

No, take it from me, plantar fasciitis most commonly presents as heel pain. I suffered from it for several years, and it got so bad I had back pain directly above my right hip. I got orthopedic inserts & they helped, but I ended up going to a place called Synergy. They perform Active Release Therapy (ART). They really work the muscles & the area affected, and they get you stretching as well. Since the beginning of the year I've lost 8.2 pounds & I can run over 3 miles a day (and increasing) & not have any problems. Get it checked out so you can get back on track
  • jeepwidow01
    Options

Good luck!

After your surgery did the pain go away

Yes, it did go away. I was in a hard cast for 4-5 weeks, then a walking boot for a couple of more before transitioning back to walking. This was back in May 2011. In the last month or two, I am finally going barefoot & not having any issues at all.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I had plantar fascitis this summer....stopped running for a month. It's like a sprain, so in some ways treat it like a sprain-- let your foot heal before moving forward. That was key for my recovery. I then slowly started back into running once I was able to, and have been pain free from p.f. for months.

I second, third, fourth,fifth the stretching, ice, and shoes ideas. As well as the no barefoot walking-- If I walk in barefeet for even a little bit, I'm down for the count. Get great shoes, and if they don't work, definitely get fitted for othotics. They are spendy, but make a huge difference in your comfort level.

I did writing the alphabet stretching and grabbing a towel with my toes stretching exercises every day- those helped a ton in my recovery.
  • ATreimel
    ATreimel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also developed going to Jazzecize. I switched to swimming and did PT for a few months, and had orthotics made. Calf stretching was the most important thing, night and morning. Stand on a step and stretch your heel off it. It did go away but lasted months.
  • BootcampJunkie
    BootcampJunkie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Last year I had so much pain in my feet that I couldnt wear anything but sandles even wearing socks caused so much pain. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with a heel spur. I wasn't told if I had plantar fasciitis, which is commonly associated with heel spurs but I was given some very helpful advice.

- Invest in a "motion control" runner it contained a higher arch (the doctor had me jog on the spot barefoot and he saw that I was landing on the inside of my foot making me flatfooted)

- take Advil, I was also perscribed a numbing cream which worked awesome! With it I was able to wear proper runners again.

I had just boughten a new pair of Nike runners and it was shortly after breaking them in that I developed the pain. So I went back to my old Adidias Supernova runner and placed a high arch insole in them. It was like $20 and did the trick. I also found that when I was working out indoors going barefoot seemed to help too. Like barefoot running on the treadmill. I also found that I worked out the smaller muscles in my feet and legs while barefoot. Now I almost prefer it but the pads of your feet do get sore quickly. There is a ton of articles on the internet supporting bare-foot running and its benefits.
    I didnt stop working out I just modified to suit my injury.
    At the end, it took about 6 months for the pain to completely disappear.
  • hawkeygal
    hawkeygal Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    as someone who has been formally diagnosed with it bilaterally (both feet), get yourself to a doctor for a referral to a physical therapist stat.

I ignored this for way too long, and ended up in PT longer, since I was compensating in my walk, and destroyed my back in the process.

When you start therapy, the PT will give you suggestions and guide you to do exercises at home to strengthen the ligaments to relieve the stress that's going on.

Also, a lot of the PF comes from the the type of shoes you're wearing too (along with the stress from running/walking/etc.).