applying for a job - questions!

Options
christine24t
christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
I'm going to graduate college in May and am filling out a job application right now. I have questions for you all!

1) Do I write on there my GPA throughout school? If yes, do I specify that I got a 4.0 GPA two semesters (out of 8) or is that braggy?

2) I'm supposed to put a resume in there. The format of mine is my name, address, etc, then my objective (seems cheesy but that is what the website I consulted said to write), my skills, my education and my work experiences. Is that a good format?? Or am I missing anything?

Thank you!

Replies

• brandonrdn
    Options
    A resume should mainly emphasize your strengths. I tend to stick with 1 page resumes, as they aren't fulled with random, useless information to make them appear longer. An objective is a great thing to add, but make sure it has something to do with the specific job you're applying for, and not just a general statement that could be used for any job. Writing down your GPA is great(if it's impressive) and mentioning that you had a 4.0 twice isn't bad, and to me would come out as more impressive than braggy as companies want to see what sets you apart from the other applicants. If you took honors or AP classes, mention that as well. Make sure you state what you as an individual would bring to the company(skills) and again, don't be general about it, make sure they're related to the job. The resume format is good and it's the same one I use. I tend to not refer to myself as "I" or "me" in resumes.
    "experienced in/with" sounds better than "I can" or "I am"

Other than that I can't really think of anything else.. Hope that helps.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I would recommend that you go to your school's career center if there happens to be one and ask them to look over your resume and give you some advice. My school has a test on resumes for whether or not they can read it in under 15 seconds or not. One page is definitely the way to go.

Avoid being too cliche with Microsoft pre-made templates as well. Customize your resume to standout from the crowd.

I would definitely throw that pretty GPA on your resume as it will show that you work hard and are serious about your schooling.

The objective is a quick way for a company to really check to see if you personalized your resume for them and that it isn't just a generic one you printed off.

The biggest thing again, is setting yourself apart. You have to sell yourself and be confident. Not overly confident of course but make it count. The ONLY reason I got the job I have is because I was soooooo enthusiastic and very serious about my cover letter/resume/application that my boss basically hired me on the spot!

I'm probably repeating myself but this has been a very helpful few tips I've learned to land the jobs I picked as #1.

And if you can get an internship of some kind you should take advantage! It can really make a difference.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    What kind of job is it? It makes a difference.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    Options
    thank you all!
    it's a nursing job.
    i have to copy and paste the resume into their box so i don't think the format is too big of a deal, i just need to have good information on it. and thanks for the advice about no I/me. Good point! And I also have an internship kind of in the department I'm applying for (just a different county but same state!).

ETA - I am SOOOO enthusiastic about this job. Like want it so bad! Hopefully they can tell!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    If it's a cut & paste, I'd stick to education, relevant experience and skills that apply.

If they're making you put it into their form it's because they want to fine out what they need to know quickly - fluff will just piss them off.
  • chicklidell
    Options
    If it's a cut & paste, I'd stick to education, relevant experience and skills that apply.

If they're making you put it into their form it's because they want to fine out what they need to know quickly - fluff will just piss them off.

I agree...I do the hires for our nutrition department in a hospital....honestly, I don't give a darn about your GPA I will be more impressed with relevant work experience/volunteer work then Iwill be that you graduated with honours. It's a great achievement, but it doesn't let me know that you will fit in with my department. I need more then just a brain, people skills are very important, as well as hands on experience. I need to see character and what are you bringing to my department that makes you different from the other 150 applicants that are also graduates/honour students applying for the same position as you are.
  • dvcab
    dvcab Posts: 78
    Options
    def need to show you work well in a team and can work autonomously so even a maccas job helps these days but internship is a def plus..good luck positive thoughts help too