It starts!

Options
Well, here's the deal! I decided to keep track and work my butt off to lose weight! However, before I began I decided to keep track of what I would normally eat. So for the first week or so I did what I normally do, including excercise, and eating what I normally eat, just to see and know! Well, today was my final day, and by far the worst!!! My husband and I ate at Denny's and I ate a Double Cheeseburger. I only got half way (actually a little less) through when I realized I wasn't hungry, but decided that rather than waste it I would just finish it. Even though I wasn't hungry. I noticed through the week, that a majority of the time, I was only eating in order to get rid of everything so there weren't any leftovers...not because I was hungry. My fear now is that I'm going to continue with this habbit. For those of you who know me, you know I have a large family... usually all 6 of us (this doesn't include my son who lives with his mother) eat together, so I often have to make lots to ensure there's enough for everyone. Example, two boxes of Hamburger instead of one, there's usually left-overs, but one box simply wouldn't feed everyone. Which my grandmother and mother always used to say, "Too much is better than not enough." Although I've decided to eat seperate meals from my family, I'm afraid that if there's left-over's I'll be tempted. I believe though that because my son's are on diets that actually make them eat more calories than myself, I'll be able to get away with scraping a little extra on their plates. How, if anyone does, do you restrain yourself from eating the left-overs? I HATE having left-overs in my fridge. What's a mom to do?

ALC

Replies

• Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Well, here's the deal! I decided to keep track and work my butt off to lose weight! However, before I began I decided to keep track of what I would normally eat. So for the first week or so I did what I normally do, including excercise, and eating what I normally eat, just to see and know! Well, today was my final day, and by far the worst!!! My husband and I ate at Denny's and I ate a Double Cheeseburger. I only got half way (actually a little less) through when I realized I wasn't hungry, but decided that rather than waste it I would just finish it. Even though I wasn't hungry. I noticed through the week, that a majority of the time, I was only eating in order to get rid of everything so there weren't any leftovers...not because I was hungry. My fear now is that I'm going to continue with this habbit. For those of you who know me, you know I have a large family... usually all 6 of us (this doesn't include my son who lives with his mother) eat together, so I often have to make lots to ensure there's enough for everyone. Example, two boxes of Hamburger instead of one, there's usually left-overs, but one box simply wouldn't feed everyone. Which my grandmother and mother always used to say, "Too much is better than not enough." Although I've decided to eat seperate meals from my family, I'm afraid that if there's left-over's I'll be tempted. I believe though that because my son's are on diets that actually make them eat more calories than myself, I'll be able to get away with scraping a little extra on their plates. How, if anyone does, do you restrain yourself from eating the left-overs? I HATE having left-overs in my fridge. What's a mom to do?

ALC
  • deannaboo
    deannaboo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Only prepare enough for that dinner or if you make a large enough meal have the rest as left overs for tomorrow.
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    What my mother does is she cooks food, and then whatever is leftover, is put in the fridge.
    Then, at the end of the week, we have Eat Around/Fend For Yourself/Leftover Night and eat all the leftovers.
    Those nights are best when everyone has something going on, such as baseball, wrestling, Academic Decathlon.
  • Amber42803
    Amber42803 Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks! I think I'll give that a try!

ALC
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    or you could psych yourself out--tell yourself the leftovers are all "contaminated" with everybody's germs! ewwww, who'd want to eat that!
    that's how i stop myself from nibbling off the kids' plates--and could use for leftovers too.
    good luck. and stay away from the fridge. :drinker:
  • kitty82
    kitty82 Posts: 36
    Options
    Well we have 6 in our family too so I feel you!! and I hate wasting food.

I read some where that whether it becomes waste today in the trash can or waste in the next couple days coming out of your body it does become waste. That's helped me with little left ovesr.

Or if you have little critters outside...idk like cats or coons you don't mind feeding I throw left over popcorn or bread heels out for them.

And the left overs dinner night for those really busy nights are great once in awhile!