STARVING! But why?!

Options
Yesterday was strange... Wednesdays are my one day per week with no workouts. I hit my cals, almost all macros, drank 11 glasses of water, and was absolutely STARVING. I have no idea why... maybe my metabolism has finally caught up? I underestimated my daily activity levels? Thoughts? I've been at this for a while, and this stumped me.

Daily Cals Given: 1380 (ended up eating 1600)
Protein Consumed: 95g
Fiber Consumed: 30g
Iron: 107%
Water: 11 glasses.

Any thoughts/similar experiences would be much appreciated!
-C :)

Replies

• jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I feel ya, if I'm starving I eat. You are probably burning more than u think or have a higher bmr.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Hmm, this seems strange too. Occasionally I'm the same way- hit cals and macros but still starving. I usually feel this way the day after a big workout, or if I don't combine the correct macros at a certain meal (for example, eating only protein at one meal, then only carbs at the next meal. I need to balance them to stop the munchies, lol).
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It wasn't a lazy day by any means, went to work, rehearsal, cleaned the house, but didn't have a proper gym time per se.
  • Ten10
    Ten10 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound strange but on my non work out days I am actually hungrier than the days I am allotted extra calories from working out. I think that exercise suppresses our appetites somehow.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    I know this may sound strange but on my non work out days I am actually hungrier than the days I am allotted extra calories from working out. I think that exercise suppresses our appetites somehow.

Me too!! I'm off injured at the min, eating same cals as when exercising but I've been more hungry. I've found that warm foods like oatmeal or soup fill me up more than say cereal or salad. Yesterday I had a mostly 'cold foods' day and I was starving most of the day even though I hit my macros!!
    what did you eat yesterday, I can't see your diary?
  • chelseaalicia
    Options
    I'd rather not open my diary, but I prepare everything I eat, no prepacked stuff, the only exception being whey protein I take as I'm vegetarian.
  • chelseaalicia
    Options
    I'm generally the same way! I was only so surprised this week because I had so much protein for an off day and so much fibre. I guess my body needed what I had and more.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Same here! Yesterday I took the day off from the gym, but I feel like I just could not get full. So, I ate. The way I see it, if you're hungry (and truly hungry, not just bored) eat. Eat something nutritious so you won't feel bad about it later, and eat until you're satisfied. That's pretty much how I eat all the time, but every once in a while I have one of those days where I just feel famished and have to eat extra.
  • onehotgirl
    Options
    Have you read about leptin?
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Sounds like your pregnant
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    You're not starving.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

^^^This is me, exactly!
  • cnhanson
    Options
    I had a day like that last week. I generally try to eat a plant based diet. But it seemed that day that I could not fill up. Some culprits for me are staying up late and not getting enough exercise. Sometimes if I'm hungry I go for a walk and have a glass of water. Sometimes I just eat something. As long as it isn't too often it doesn't seem to affect my weight loss.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Sounds like your pregnant

I'm totally NOT pregnant and feel the same way sometimes. I could eat all day long! Nothing is filling....strange.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    And don't forget that, as women, it could always be hormonal. Certain days of the month I am hungry all day long even when I've just eaten. Makes no sense, but there it is. Getting too little sleep sometimes affects my hunger, too.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    This seems to happen to me when I'm tired??? X
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    The human body and nutrition isn't a black and white thing... It just happens sometimes. Some days we need a lot more food to feel full. On those days either stick with soups and salads, or treat it as your "spike day" and let yourself eat up to 500 calories extra.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    That happens to me every so often as well. I think your body is just catching up or something.
  • KimAggie04
    KimAggie04 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The human body and nutrition isn't a black and white thing... It just happens sometimes. Some days we need a lot more food to feel full. On those days either stick with soups and salads, or treat it as your "spike day" and let yourself eat up to 500 calories extra.

I second this. Some days I am starving for no reason, and other days I barely want to eat my calorie limit (rarely do I have these days!). I wouldn't worry about it if you are still losing weight. It wouldn't kill your whole weight loss journey if you ate an extra 200+ calories one day.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I would be starving too if I ate 1300 calories a day.

Anyways when I ate a poor diet of too many refined carbs, I was hungry all the time, and it got even worse after exercise.

Now that I removed those and added protein, my hunger is more stable. Although oddly I don't get hungry after exercise as much, but I now get more hungry on my off days. Maybe its a delayed reaction to the energy lost from exercise.