Winter blah's

Options
I suffer from severe winter depression, I am outside all the time during spring and sumer and enjoy doing yard work alot . I burn alot of calories shoveling mulch , dirt and gravel . I do yard work at home and sometimes for extra money. During the winter I have allways had trouble with putting on extra weight and I just dread winter . I guess I could move , but This is my home town and I moved once and missed it dearly . I have learned from experience , that walking during the winter can replace mowing grass , and eating junk food is only a fix for a minute for the depression. I have also learned that I have to do this for myself and my family and have faith that God will help me achieve my goals. My 1st Goal is to be able to buy a pair of pants at walmart so I have a ways to go since I wear a 52 and walmart stops at 46, 48 sometimes. That may seem like a small thing to some , but to a man who once could play basketball for hours and run a mile in no time and now can run at all , that is big to me . I weighed in after my first 3 weeks and lost nearly 10 lbs , I am currently at 368.8 I believe and my next weigh in is this coming monday , so all you all pray for me and thanks for all the support.

Carl

Replies

• bigjug1967
    Options
    I suffer from severe winter depression, I am outside all the time during spring and sumer and enjoy doing yard work alot . I burn alot of calories shoveling mulch , dirt and gravel . I do yard work at home and sometimes for extra money. During the winter I have allways had trouble with putting on extra weight and I just dread winter . I guess I could move , but This is my home town and I moved once and missed it dearly . I have learned from experience , that walking during the winter can replace mowing grass , and eating junk food is only a fix for a minute for the depression. I have also learned that I have to do this for myself and my family and have faith that God will help me achieve my goals. My 1st Goal is to be able to buy a pair of pants at walmart so I have a ways to go since I wear a 52 and walmart stops at 46, 48 sometimes. That may seem like a small thing to some , but to a man who once could play basketball for hours and run a mile in no time and now can run at all , that is big to me . I weighed in after my first 3 weeks and lost nearly 10 lbs , I am currently at 368.8 I believe and my next weigh in is this coming monday , so all you all pray for me and thanks for all the support.

Carl
  • raquitathomas
    raquitathomas Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wish you all the luck in the world!!! You'll do great I'm sure.
    Actually, my grandmother used to get really depressed during the winter too! It has to do with the lesser amount of time that the sun is shining for her. Turns out she has seasonal anxiety disorder. Check into it. It may just be that you need more sun light around you to get motivated, especially if you live up north. She moved down here to Sunny Florida and does much better. There is special lamps and other techniques to try if you think you might be in the same boat.

Anyways, Good Luck!! You'll reach you're goal. Just have to stick to it =)
  • k9powerlifter
    Options
    I grew up in NW Indiana so I know those winter blahs!!!! LOL. The weather here in CO isn't nearly as bad as the midwest....for instance tomorrow it will be in the mid 50's and sunny for us. But we do get our share of blizzards and cold spells. I don't let the cold and snow slow me down. I still try to hike through the winter....and amazingly enough; the winter hiking is harder work and you will burn more calories by treading through snow, wearing extra clothing, gear and your body trying to stay warm (which burns extra calories). When the spring/summer hit I am in better shape because of the winter hiking.

If I remember correctly you have some state parks near where you live. Jump on some of those trails and enjoy a good winter hike!!!!! Snow shoeing is also good work (not fun) but a workout regardless.

Keep up the good work and train HARD!!!!!
  • joanne123
    Options
    I've heard about those winter 'light boxes' - some people say they work miracles!
    Also maybe you have a buddy to go walking with? I always find it much easier to go walking if I have someone to talk to, or at least someone who calls round for me. Its that extra bit of push when I'd rather be sitting in the warm

Good Luck:flowerforyou:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I have winter depression, so here's my "two cents" worth. (Canadian. . . I'm not sure on the exchange rate.:wink: )

I was born and raised in very very sunny Florida, but have lived up north for 15 years. Whoo---my first winter, I was sure I'd been hit by a truck.

Whenever there is ANY sun outside, try to get outside for a walk. I find that even a half hour walk on a cold, but sunny day is remarkable at recharging my batteries.

Also, I've started taking a vitamin D supplement. It's only been a few weeks, but I think I've noticed a difference. There can be side effects with it if you take too much. I'm taking 1000 IU per day, and that seems right for me. If you're taking a multivitamin, check and see how much is in it.

Sending you strength. Honor your goals, and they will happen.:flowerforyou:
  • Anise6789
    Anise6789 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi Carl,
    I also am a gardener,and come winter I'd just like to hibernate. I get fat, lazy, bored, and depressed. I've downloaded some free weight routines that I could manage. I also bought one of those large excercise balls,and if nothing else you can sit around on it, waving your arms, using hand weights,and laughing at yourself. I have many hobbies, find one, or even start seeds soon for Summer. while ,getting ready for surgury, I discovered I weigh a whopping 211, and I am a 5 foot female. OuCH! It has finally occured to me, I am just kidding myself, thinking I should be able to eat whatever or whenever I please. Common sense tells me I shouldn't eat five lollipops each meal, or a bag of cookies three times a day. I've finally realized that I need to use that same common sense about the stuff I do eat. I guess we need to retrain our common sense to tell us when we're eating badly, and too much. Spring will be here soon.Shop for some garden stuff, go visit a planetarium, or green house, buy some garden books, or magazines. As requested I will pray for you,and I know you will succeed. Good Luck!
  • Gina1960
    Options
    I wish you all the luck in the world!!! You'll do great I'm sure.
    Actually, my grandmother used to get really depressed during the winter too! It has to do with the lesser amount of time that the sun is shining for her. Turns out she has seasonal affective disorder. Check into it. It may just be that you need more sun light around you to get motivated, especially if you live up north. She moved down here to Sunny Florida and does much better. There is special lamps and other techniques to try if you think you might be in the same boat.

Anyways, Good Luck!! You'll reach you're goal. Just have to stick to it =)
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and I do mean that , it is gonna be hard to do this and I will need all the help I can get. God bless and Good luck to you all
  • ariannedavis
    ariannedavis Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Carl,
    You are not alone! It is a physiological response, not just psychological. In addition to the special lights & Vit. D, you might visit a tanning bed. I suffer from SAD (seasonal depression) and have learned that even 5-7 minutes in a tanning bed 2-3 times a month can be rejuvinating.

There's nothing like the real sun, but when you are in a slump and just can't break out, it's worth a try! I had a couple guy friends in college who were suffering from so much stress & anxiety that their physicians prescribed them tanning bed time. But learn from their mistake and take a tube sock with you! :laugh:
  • bigjug1967
    Options
    Ill remember the tube sock lol very cute :laugh:
  • NJBeachgirl
    Options
    You can do it Carl, we all can, we just have to get our heads in the right place and stay focused. I live in NJ and the winters are cold here too. I've been forcing myself out the door twice a day to walk, sun or no sun, but I won't walk in the rain, tooo cold for that. Walking in the snow is cool though. I've been trying really hard to stay focused, with some slips along the way. Its been hard for me, cause we just moved to South Jersey, from north jersey, and I don't know anyone down here. So no walking buddies for me. To make things worse, my husband and I just separated just before Christmas, so I am feeling like one lost puppy. I find myself singing to myself, all alone am I...., but I keep on walking, and you can too. I feel sorry for my dog, I keep dragging her with me for my walks. I think I am wearing her out, she comes home, lays down and starts snoring right away, lol. And she's a german shepard, a high energy dog. So I figure thats good for me, if I'm wearing her out, I must be doing something right. Keep up the good work, and keep walking, good luck.