Please help! Calculating calories burned in Sppinning class

Options
2»

Replies

• Fit_Forever25
    Fit_Forever25 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    i'm 5.7 and weigh 145 - my HRM gave me 478 calories burned in a 40 min spin class last night. hope that helps xx
    Yes that helps a lot :) I know everyone has different burning rate but helps for a rough estimate till I get a HRM
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    There are so many factors that go into calorie burning that almost every method is a best guess. Including MFP calculations.

I can tell you that for me I burn about 480-500 calories is a 45 min Spin class
    That calculation comes from my Heart Rate monitor that allows me to input my weight, Resting HR and Max HR. So it's the closest ESTIMATION I can get.

(I weigh about 126lbs I have a resting heart rate of about 50-54 and a max of about 195)

Close is sometimes that best you're gonna get, and besides a low estimation just means you'll loose weight faster!
    thanks so much that detailed information was much helpful
  • jenronan1
    jenronan1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been teaching spin class for over 7 years and the best way to measure your caloric burn is to invest in a heart rate monitor. Otherwise, calories burned are anywhere from 400-600 calories for a typical class.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    Thank you so very much everyone!
    I will definitely order a HRM today!
    and will have to guesstimate calories burnt today :=)
    but thanks for all the informative comments and suggestions.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    At 140 lbs, 400-450 for a 45 min spin class is as close as you need to be. In general, spinning is one workout for which HRMs are probably the most useful, however they have some limitations and could easily be less accurate than just making a number up.

The three limitations are:

1. Quality of the HRM
    2. Accuracy of your setup information
    3. The thermal stress that can occur during a spin class can cause HRM to overestimate calories.

I'm not saying don't get an HRM, but don't assume that, out of the box, it is going to give you precise readings. The irony is that the number listed above (400-450 calories) is probably the "reference" number you would use to make sure your HRM is giving you accurate readings--which then begs the question why you need one in the first place.
  • Fit_Forever25
    Options
    At 140 lbs, 400-450 for a 45 min spin class is as close as you need to be. In general, spinning is one workout for which HRMs are probably the most useful, however they have some limitations and could easily be less accurate than just making a number up.

The three limitations are:

1. Quality of the HRM
    2. Accuracy of your setup information
    3. The thermal stress that can occur during a spin class can cause HRM to overestimate calories.

I'm not saying don't get an HRM, but don't assume that, out of the box, it is going to give you precise readings. The irony is that the number listed above (400-450 calories) is probably the "reference" number you would use to make sure your HRM is giving you accurate readings--which then begs the question why you need one in the first place.
    Thanks Azdak that was useful to know!! Yeah I will get an HRM but I know nothing can tell us the EXACT amount of what we have burnt
    my aim is that I dont want to overestimate .. that is it.
    Thanks a lot!