Grazers... :-(

Options
2»

Replies

• Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I shove 2 pieces of sugar free gum in my mouth!

That's a great idea! I will try this :)

I'm getting jaw pain just thinking about that, but I'm a half-stick sort of girl.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Have a few snacks on hand that satisfy you.

Some of mine are:

1/4 c. almonds (low salt from Trader Joe's) with some semi sweet morsels.

or

1 Tablespoon nutella -- it keeps me satisfied for a while (oddly enough, I saw Dr. Oz recommending 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter for the same reason - he said it'll keep you full for a wihle until dinner is ready).

or

fruit smoothie - there are low calorie recipes.

or

hard boiled egg

I can relate...it's hard to control yourself if you're really hungry.

Good luck!
  • Featherwood_Barbie
    Options
    I am terrible with the "grazing" I don't like to eat big meals in 1 sitting like most people because I always walk away feeling sick to my stomach, so I tend to eat a lot of little meals throughout the day. I prepare my food the night before on workdays so that I am not rushed and simply throwing things in the bag to get out of the house & to my office on time. My "difficult" time is at night after I am off work...if I do not eat something healthy the moment I get home I tend to resort to snacking aka grazing on stuff that is not really good or healthy for me. Easy to fix that one would say, right...just eat when I get home...not so easy when your habit is to graze on snacks after work. Overall I have lost 150lbs (heaviest I weighed 350lbs) but I have dieted off & on and yo yo dieted for years...now that I am over 40 it's time to stop all the nonsense and simply live healthy. Dieting is out the window and portion control and wiser food choices are my current goal.
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    Chew Gum! ;)
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are under the gun when you come home to prepare dinner. Would it be possible to do some food prep at a less stressful time? This obviously works best for some sorts of meals and not others. How about using a slow cooker?

One way I stop myself from sampling a lot while cooking is having cut up veggies right there on the counter. I also do not consider eating a few mouthfuls of raw veggies as I'm prepping them 'grazing.' A gazelle might, but I don't. :^)
  • LoseSyra
    LoseSyra Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem on work nights when I cook instead of my hubby. I make sure I have a later afternoon snack, lately an apple at 4, then I eat a bag of baby carrots during the drive home. I still struggle with this when I cook on weekend nights and I really have to work on preparing dinner early enough so I am not too hungry. I am glad I am not the only one with this issue, thanks for sharing.
  • kristina0206
    Options
    bump
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I only graze on the veggies I chop up but I do taste test and add it as part of my meal. My plates are always smaller when I cook.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Hiya honey. How about snacking on some chopped up veggies and light dip, and once they are gone, chew on a piece of gum? I do know how you feel though. I graze at the weekend when preparing food, and not because I am hungry, just because I am in the kitchen! aRghhh!