I need low carb breakfast ideas! Help!

Options
All the low carb breakfast ideas of seen so far require cooking. Unfortunately I start work at 8am which involves a bit of a commute, so I have to get up at 6:30am as it is - not really much time to make eggs or bacon before I leave! Plus I don't want to stink out the office with pre made eggs.

What can I have? I'm stumped for ideas. I want to try a low carb / high protein diet (not Atkins).

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    protein shake

cup almond milk
    1 scoop protein powder
    1 tbsp peantu butter
    flax seed powder
    wheat germ

blend and drink

dont forget to take your multi and fish oil
  • MelissaT81
    MelissaT81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I make my scrambled eggs and turkey bacon the night before. I was skeptical about this but it really doesn't taste bad reheated!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'll do hard boiled eggs sometimes, but usually its a Shakeology with fruit and I have 4 strips of turkey bacon!
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    You can always boil eggs in advance. They are easy to grab and go.

Also, there is no cardinal rule that says you MUST eat "breakfast" food for breakfast, or "dinner" food for dinner. You can make one of your favorite low carb dishes the night before, pop it in the microwave in the morning, and be on your way. And if you want eggs, you can have them for dinner :wink:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I make eggs in the microwave in a matter of minutes - takes less time than to boil a kettle.

My other breakfasts are - natural yoghurt with berries and nuts, wholewheat toast with peanut butter (but not every day, and I watch my carbs in other meals that day), smoked fish with tomatoes,.

Oh, just remembered I did a great breakfast earlier this week - half an avocado, diced, 3-4 cherry tomatoes, a small piece of blue cheese, all stirred together and served with 2 slices of parma ham, crisped under the grill - delicious!

The scrambled eggs are still the quickest, though.
  • StepBoomer
    StepBoomer Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt and frozen berries, or cottage cheese. both huge protien and lower carb.

i actually microwave egg beaters... fast easy clean up and tastes good.
  • tanniewannie
    tanniewannie Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have rolled oats, the ones you have to boil on the stove, only I just use boiling water. Pour water over rolled Oats in bowl, then cover with small plate with Frozen Raspberries (or berries of your choice)on the plate. Leave for 10 minutes, while you do your hair (that's what I do) then when u return the berries are thawed and the Oatmeal is all ready to eat. I usually pop it in the mic for 20 seconds to heat it as well. It's quick and healthy meal. I also boil 2 eggs some mornings while the oats are cooking, takes 10 minutes as well. :) Hope this helps!
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hey there. I'm on a low carb diet- actually it's the Paleo doet. I aim at under 100 grams of carbs per day. I eat the same thing for breakfast every day- hot quinoa "cereal." It's super easy, and does require cooking, but I make a big batch once a week and heat it up in the am.
    Bring 2 cups of water to the boil.
    Add 1 cup quinoa. Cook until done. Add 1/2 cup ground flax seed and 1 can of cocnut milk, bring back to the boil, take off the heat and cover (sometime I also need to add another 1/2 cup of water or so). Stir in one tablespoon of cinnamon. You can eat it with more cocnut milk poured overtop, berries, or nuts or just plain. When you heat it up, add a bit more water and heat for 2 mins or so. It will be creamy like oatmeal.

This makes 4 portions at about 1 cup each. Its 190 cals/ 31 carbs/ 7 grams protein/ 5 g fat. This is the biggest portion of carbs I eat all day. You can add me and check out my diary if you like.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    My faves were:
    1. smoothies made the night before with no sugar added. I made my own low-carb recipes.
    2. Carnation Breakfast Essentials high protein no sugar added breakfast shakes.

I love that I can drink those on the way to work.

HTH
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Also, there is no cardinal rule that says you MUST eat "breakfast" food for breakfast, or "dinner" food for dinner. You can make one of your favorite low carb dishes the night before, pop it in the microwave in the morning, and be on your way. And if you want eggs, you can have them for dinner :wink:

I am having some steak with sauted onions and mushrooms for breakfast! Leftovers from last nights dinner.......yumm!!

Calories: 231; Carbs: 9; Fat: 10: Protein: 31; Sugar: 3 Sodium: 67
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    How about low sugar oatmeal package. You do have to boil water to make it, Boil the water before you get ready for work and then eat before you leave the house. Maybe also some OJ. Sometimes I take a slice of ham or turkey and a slice of cheese, swiss cheese or pepper jack are good choices. roll them together and eat them like a snack food. Also, a banana, but they are high in carbs.
  • 23wife
    23wife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese (regular, not with flavored)
    Cheese slices (or cheese sticks)
    Hard boiled eggs (I normally cook up a half dozen at a time and put them in the fridge for the week so I can grab them and go)
    Peanut butter,
    Plain greek yogurt (not the flavored kind) - I add a packet of splenda to it - and blueberries
    nuts
    low carb protein shake - make it with vanilla almond milk or water - and add some blueberries, etc.
  • malanu
    malanu Posts: 15
    Options
    i drink this every morning im diabetic fruit smoothie 1 cup frozen strawberries 1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla whey protein 1 cup almond milk blend in blender 132 calories and it fills you up
  • clem7444
    clem7444 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I make Jillian Michael's Breakfast in a Bowl (with my own modification). I've copied it from my recipes for you:
    Mix all ingredients in a bowl, add 1/2 tsp allspice. Let sit overnight to soften oats. It makes 4 1Cup servings. Sometimes I add fruit (berries) to the top. The original recipe calls for 2 cups plain yogurt with 1 tsp of vanilla added later, but I enjoy the flavor better by mixing 1 C Greek plain and 1 Cup light Vanilla yogurt.

Ingredients Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium
    Lucerne - Cottage Cheese - Non Fat, 2 cup 320 20 0 56 1,680
    Chobani Greek Yogurt - Plain, Non-Fat, 8 oz 140 9 0 23 105
    Dannon - Light & Fit - Vanilla Yogurt, 8 oz 107 20 0 7 107
    Generic - Oats Steel Cut, 1/2 cup DRY 150 27 3 5 0
    Generic - Raw Sliced Almonds, 0.25 c 120 5 11 5 0

Total: 837 81 14 96 1892
    Per Serving: 209 20 4 24 473
  • skinnycox
    Options
    I'm pretty suprised nobody is really mentioning fruit - I try to eat a pretty low carb and vegetarian diet, but really find I need that sugary burst to get me going in the mornings...

Yummy breakfast:

Fruit salad (usually melon, straberries, kiwi (i LOVE kiwi), and a big orange) with a 125g pot of fat free natural yoghurt, with a good sprinkling of Neal's Yard Nut, Seed and Fruit mix (it has flaxseeds, hazelnuts, pine nuts, dried apple, dried cranberries and raisins in it, yummy)

If I'm dying for that carby thing then I might put in 30g of museli on a 'bad' day or if I know I'm going to be training in the morning.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'll do hard boiled eggs sometimes, but usually its a Shakeology with fruit and I have 4 strips of turkey bacon!

Me too (minus the turkey bacon)
  • vilardip1
    Options
    i go with a string cheese and some nuts...either the emerald 100 calorie packs or planters nut-rition mix
  • Tiff587
    Tiff587 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    (Someone put this up and I copied it, it's fantastic!)

I do this every weekend to prepare for the week, and I try different variations on it so I don't get tired of it! It's not an exact science, so it's tough to screw anything up, thankfully!

1 - Grab a big bowl and mix up a mixture of eggs and egg whites, maybe 6 or 7? Preheat oven to about 350.

2 - This week I chopped up a red bell pepper, green bell pepper, onion, and chopped frozen spinach (defrosted and squeezed of excess liquid)

3 - I get out my two cupcake pans, spray well with cooking spray. To make this easier, you can also use aluminum cupcake cups, but I didn't have any on hand this week and it still worked okay!

4 - Add a little bit of the chopped veggies until they're about 1/2 full. This week I also added some pieces of turkey bacon (pre-cooked in oven for a few minutes on foil) but sometimes I skip the bacon, or add some pieces of canadian bacon.

5 - Add the egg mixture until each cup is about 3/4 full, and sprinkle some low fat shredded cheese on top. If you run out of egg mixture to add, you can always whip up another egg or two.

6 - Put pans in oven at 350 for about 15 minutes, give or take a few.

There you have about 24 mini egg quiches for quick reheating! I have about 2 every morning. I generally keep half in the fridge and freeze the other half, or you can stick them all in the freezer. Either way they'll reheat just fine!

Sorry this is so vague, but I hope it helps!
  • cbrewer904
    Options
    I have an egg scrambled in microwave and a slice of low cal & fat cheese rolled up in a low carb wrap...yummie!!
  • ldbaas
    Options
    What ever you choose to eat at breakfast time becomes breakfast food. Nobody said eggs had to be eaten for breakfast or that grilled chicken was only a lunch/dinner food. I like to make grilled chicken ahead of time and seperate them into sandwich bags. they re-heat well, no unpleasant odor and are very satisfying. I also like to cut cucumber and carrots into french fry slices and keep them in baggies. Great for dipping in cream cheese ! Finally, for an energy boost anytime, Blue Diamond roasted salted almonds ... I sort 28 almonds into baggies so that I have individual servings pre-set ( no chance of over indulging lol) all lo-carb options. If you are still in the induction phase, steer clear of fruits and opt for fresh vegetables instead. Try to eat as purely as possible ... stay away from anything processed ... lots of hidden carbs. Good luck !