Weight & Smoking

Options
Is it true that you gain weight when you quit smoking?
I quit,
I gained 2 pounds in a week:sad:

Makes me want to give up!
Should I give it time, will I loose the weight?

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You have to read this post from Shannibal. So many people on here inspire me every day, but he is one of my biggest inspirations:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/439632-from-413-278
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Smoking curbs cravings, lol. You'll gain weight if you quit.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I haven't smoked in a month and I haven't gained a pound. :drinker:
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    People typically gain 8-10 lbs when they quit smoking because smoking actually increases your metabolism. SO when you quit you metabolism drops. You can lose the weight again after you quit. But you can't get new lungs. Don't give up!
  • stroken96
    stroken96 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    People typically gain 8-10 lbs when they quit smoking because smoking actually increases your metabolism. SO when you quit you metabolism drops. You can lose the weight again after you quit. But you can't get new lungs. Don't give up!

So true, my husband was diagnosed with COPD
    Quit smoking is the only quit I am doing.
    Not weight
  • ahmpierce1
    ahmpierce1 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking January of last year and gained about 15 pounds. I attribute a lot of it to the metabolism issue.

The 15 pound weight gain was 100% worth saving my health. Do not let the fear of a few pounds stop you from quitting! Once you quit, you will feel SO much better about yourself and so much healthier that you will be able to walk or even run that weight off.

You got it! Good luck!
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options

So true, my husband was diagnosed with COPD
    Quit smoking is the only quit I am doing.
    Not weight

Shannibal in my post link earlier this thread went from 413 to 238 in eight months, and quit smoking AND began his weight loss on the same day. He used walks to help fuel his motivation during withdrawals. Definitely don't start smoking again, but it isn't impossible to do both. Good luck!
  • Alejandro96
    Options
    I don't smoke and i'm against it what qutting smoking does it makes your appetite better so you like food better also when you smoke a cigarette you burn like 20 calories because you increase you'r heart rate, but also what smoking does it gives you a muffin top so much easier ! quit now and never regret ! i have never smoked and neither will
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking and gained 2 stone,
    this is also alongside eating the healthiest i have ever eaten in my life.
    And exercising regularly.
    (when i smoked i ate crap all day, and i never exercised at all, but i was like half the size..)
    So yeh quitting smoking, not worth it..
    If my fiance would let me, id go to the shops right now and buy a pack.

Also now that iv quit smoking, everything tastes ****ty.
    So its like the tasty food arnt even worth the calories anymore..
  • AmyG1982
    AmyG1982 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about a year and a half ago and did gain 8 lbs, but that was cuz i binged pretty hard when I had cravings lol. I'd quit before that for about 8 months and lost weight tho (30lbs) cuz i replaced smoking with exercise... you may gain a bit but most of that isn't from actually not smoking, but from replacing smoking with food. BUT like others said, even if you do gain weight, it is totally worth it. keep at it, it will get easier!!
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    I quit, will be 2 yrs on April 19th, and yes I gained 5-10 lbs, but then it stopped, and then I gained because of a pregnancy. It will level off, and I feel the gain is worth saving your lungs/life/skin! Good luck to you, I really feel quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I have ever done! Stay strong!!!
  • Jeyed
    Jeyed Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I quit neatly two years ago and at first I did gain a little bit of weight. However, what you gain health wise from quitting smoking far outweighs putting a couple of pounds on.
    Although, most of the weight I put on was due to needing something to do with my mouth, you learn to deal with it quickly. I started chewing gum (sugar free) and eating things like carrots and radishes to keep my mouth busy. Of course, exercise helps tremendously as it will help with the overall physical and emotional frustration that comes from not smoking.
    Keep up your weight loss program, it'll help keep you busy and away from smoking.