Just started and already scared...

Options
So, I'm really new to MFP, and I'm just recently starting my diet/exercise routine. As in, I started last Thursday.

I know it's really early for this, but I'm already feeling discouraged and scared that this somehow isn't going to work for me.

Okay, I'm not quite sure how diet and exercise WOULDN'T work either. But I feel like the suggested daily calorie intake I was given doesn't feel difficult. As a matter of fact, it feels a lot like how I was eating already! Now, maybe that's not true, but the fact that the diet is so easy makes me worry that MFP is WAY over-estimating how many calories I should intake each day and still lose weight.

*sigh* Has anyone else encountered this problem? I know I shouldn't feel discouraged this early, and I'm usually an optimist...just not when it comes to losing weight, I guess.:ohwell:

Replies

• thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    So, I'm really new to MFP, and I'm just recently starting my diet/exercise routine. As in, I started last Thursday.

I know it's really early for this, but I'm already feeling discouraged and scared that this somehow isn't going to work for me.

Okay, I'm not quite sure how diet and exercise WOULDN'T work either. But I feel like the suggested daily calorie intake I was given doesn't feel difficult. As a matter of fact, it feels a lot like how I was eating already! Now, maybe that's not true, but the fact that the diet is so easy makes me worry that MFP is WAY over-estimating how many calories I should intake each day and still lose weight.

*sigh* Has anyone else encountered this problem? I know I shouldn't feel discouraged this early, and I'm usually an optimist...just not when it comes to losing weight, I guess.:ohwell:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way when I started last Wednesday... I looked at what MFP was telling me I should be eating and thought, "There is no way...." but you know... I committed to trying... sure enough, I've lost. I committed to 40 minutes of exercise 6 days a week - and while I can't say that I've hit that EVERY day - I've come close.

This is NOT hard... it's counting your calories, being honest about what you're eating, working out and making sure to drink your water.

What have you got to lose? There are some really amazing people here who are kind and inspiring - so worst case scenario - you meet some great people. Commit to try it for a few weeks and see how it works!
  • julesuu
    julesuu Posts: 1
    Options
    I just started on this website today, and i've been tracking my food on paper for a while and agree that it seems to give you a fairly generous amount for intake. I joined because I've been trying to watch what i eat and i've started running and haven't seen a change so i hope this will keep me truely accountable and help me see where i'm going wrong. i kinda hiked up my goals to see how that changed things... it also seems like it doesnt take into account your BMR, maybe it just doesnt show it... who knows. i figure i'll give it a shot and see what happens. good luck!
  • Tiff_09
    Tiff_09 Posts: 5,627 Member
    Options
    i think we can all do this together. :flowerforyou:
  • DivaLisa
    DivaLisa Posts: 29
    Options
    your body needs fuel (food) the way a car needs gas

we have to eat for our metabolism (sp?) to stay up and burning ..

how many calories have been suggested for ya'll
    and be sure to weigh your food, dont guess at the size .

we tend to give way more food than we acct. for ..
  • sonjavon
    Options
    MFP recommends that I eat almost 1900 calories - and that's before I earn my workout calories. I weigh 275 lbs... it takes a lot of fuel to get this car moving! LOL!

There are some days when I simply CANNOT eat all the calories that they give me - but I try to stay as close as possible.

My rule is that if I don't know EXACTLY what I'm eating calorie-wise, I don't eat it. Period.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    The truth is, weightloss doesn't have to be all that hard. It takes some determination, and some days are harder than others, but I think most people are always surprised by overall how easy it is, especially after all the gimmicks, pills, starvation and failed attempts before.

Take a look at my ticker (and many others') and you'll see that this website works. I think you'd be surprised at how much you ate before.....we all think we're not eating that much, but then again, that's probably why we are all here and need to lose weight.

I look at my portions now and my frequency of eating and I am just amazed that I ate all that I did before. Once you get going and can start recognizing a serving size by just eyeballing, teaching yourself only to eat when truly hungry and choosing much healtheir foods, I think you will be amazed at how much you used to eat.
  • Nightdust
    Nightdust Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I honestly started at around 2200 calories on mfp (what it wanted me to eat) but I always kept it around 1600 and I'm doing fine. I felt really hungry at first and went over by a little a few times. If you feel like you're eating too much cut down a little bit at a time.
  • thedreamhazer
    thedreamhazer Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody, it was really helpful just seeing that some people encountered similar issues, or just hearing encouragement and reinforcement of things that I think I knew but definitely needed to hear again from others!

I actually just set my goal a little lower and the pace a little faster in order to lower my calorie number a little. I can already feel that it is a little harder, but it's still perfectly manageable for me so long as a remember to snack on the good stuff and avoid my friends tempting me with sweets!
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Thanks everybody, it was really helpful just seeing that some people encountered similar issues, or just hearing encouragement and reinforcement of things that I think I knew but definitely needed to hear again from others!

I actually just set my goal a little lower and the pace a little faster in order to lower my calorie number a little. I can already feel that it is a little harder, but it's still perfectly manageable for me so long as a remember to snack on the good stuff and avoid my friends tempting me with sweets!

Friends don't tempt friends with sweets... lol! It's ok - let them tempt you with sweets - then you can show them what willpower "looks like"! Good luck!
  • JasonArmbruster
    Options
    everyone has to start somewhere... do what you feel comfortable with at first...

implement a smart workout regimen along with a smart calorie plan...

good luck... let me know if I can be of any help... :smile:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Another thing you could look at about the calorie allowance with losing weight is the TYPE of food you're eating. 1200 calories in donuts doesn't work as well as 1200 calories in fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc...

Don't feel discouraged! We're all here to help each other along the way. Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • greysweatshirt
    Options
    I think a lot of the troubles in our thought come from the old way of thinking: You have to starve yourself and excersize 5 hours a day to loose any weight. The idea behind MFP is to find a healthy, lifestyle change that we can keep with for the rest of our lives, not just a "quick fix" method like most other "diets."

I hope that you are surprised by your results with this program! I know it has worked for so many people (myself included!). Remember, it's all a learning process!
  • MyKids04
    MyKids04 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are on here is a plus in the positive direction. I am new at this as well like very new just started yesterday. I have not jumped on the scale and I am making a promise to myself to only check my weight once a week. But tuesday I got on the scale and I came in at 242. I have never in my life been this big. My husband caught me crying in the bathroom and of course he is great. He say all the right things like you are beautiful, you just had two babies back to back. I love everything about you. And that is great but I am doing this for myself. I want my outside to match my inside. Plus I have a very hot and sexy husband and I want to be his hot and sexy wife. LOL
    So I am like you and many others on here a beginner but we must stay strong for ourselves and each other. So can you be my rock and I will be yours.
    181673.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Calorie Counter
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I can already feel that it is a little harder, but it's still perfectly manageable for me so long as a remember to snack on the good stuff and avoid my friends tempting me with sweets!

Just wait until we see our grandmother at Easter. Then you'll learn what the term "pusher" really means. :tongue:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of the troubles in our thought come from the old way of thinking: You have to starve yourself and excersize 5 hours a day to loose any weight. The idea behind MFP is to find a healthy, lifestyle change that we can keep with for the rest of our lives, not just a "quick fix" method like most other "diets."

I hope that you are surprised by your results with this program! I know it has worked for so many people (myself included!). Remember, it's all a learning process!

I completely agree.
    When I hired a trainer he created a meal plan for me and I was so shocked because it felt like I was eating more than before I started! And really, I am eating more now. As others have said your body needs the fuel to get your metabolism going. I eat more and I eat more consistently. Before I would eat little through out the day and then pig out at night!

I wouldn't recommend lowering your cals. Do you want it to be hard? Plus, if you don't eat enough it will hinder your weightloss efforts.