Struggling

Options
I am struggling I have a couple of great days then some really terrible ones. I was going really good and got down to 194.6 and have gained back these last two weeks to 198.6. I am not sure how to keep from the constant fall backs. I am an emotional eater so I know I need to do better watching for that. When stressed I will sit down and eat and have eaten 500 calories before I even realize what I am doing!!

I have decided to start looking short term and make little goals. So my first mini goal is to get back to 195 when I get there I am going to reward my self with a new piece of work out clothing.

How do you motivate yourself to keep on top of the eating?

Replies

• sandlerlover
    sandlerlover Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Clothes! I am like you. I do great for about 3-4 days then have 2-3 not so great days. I've learned weeekends are harder for me because I don't usually exercise but still eat the same amount of calories. Maybe we can motivate each other?!
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yeah weekends are hard for me to we eat out alot and I make poor choices some I know are poor choices but, some that I think are good choices just to get home and realize I really under estimated calories!!
  • cchartzell
    Options
    Yeah weekends are hard for me to we eat out alot and I make poor choices some I know are poor choices but, some that I think are good choices just to get home and realize I really under estimated calories!!

If you know you are going out to eat, you can look up the nutrition information for the restaurant before you go. That way you know what you are eating and can set aside the calories you need to eat it.

Another thing you can do is work out. If you find yourself having just blown your calorie goal for the day, hit the gym or go for a run/walk/bike ride. You may not be able to burn off everything you ate, but you can reduce the impact of your slip-up on your overall goals.
  • Peacock2468
    Options
    I am struggling I have a couple of great days then some really terrible ones. I was going really good and got down to 194.6 and have gained back these last two weeks to 198.6. I am not sure how to keep from the constant fall backs. I am an emotional eater so I know I need to do better watching for that. When stressed I will sit down and eat and have eaten 500 calories before I even realize what I am doing!!

I have decided to start looking short term and make little goals. So my first mini goal is to get back to 195 when I get there I am going to reward my self with a new piece of work out clothing.

How do you motivate yourself to keep on top of the eating?

Small goals are the way to go. Too often we get caught up in the big picture. Set your big goals, like I want to loose 60 pounds, but the way to get there is win the small battles. I recently quit smoking and now use a vaporizer. I can get the liquid for them in a number of flavors so I have several bottles of my favorite flavors set aside and I do not allow myself to have them unless I complete my workout.

Second thing that helps me out a lot is a routine. My wife is now to the point where she knows that I am doing a workout as soon as I get home. For me it is easier to motivate as soon as I get home. If I sit for a minute I usually dont get around to it. If I dont let myself stop I can roll right along until I am done. Then I sit and dont move the rest of the nite.

As far as the eating goes, use your food as your reward. Tell yourself that if I eat good all day and complete my exercise I can have two cookies or a cupcake. Like most everything in this world in moderation it wont kill you. Keeping fresh vegtables prepared and on hand can help with the randome snacking. I have also noticed that my six year old is snacking better because they are there when she wants something to snack on.

Finally, do you have a set workout routine. I personally am using the power 90 weight loss boot camp videos. It is a set of exercises designed by a professional nutritionist, Tony Horton my dude. having it all worked out for you really helps. Instead of trying to figure out what exercises I should do or remeber which ones i have done, i just pop in the video and follow along. A guy I work with lost 120 pounds using the power 90 system.

If you cheat sometimes its OK, dont stress it. You can actually do more damage beating yourself up than letting it go and resolving to do better in the future. Changing to a healthy life style in one day is impossible. You have to ease into it and make small changes that will add up in a big way.

Good luck to you.
  • Alexia_E_K
    Alexia_E_K Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This is great advice. I have the same problem with staying consistent. I will work really hard all month long then I get my TOM and it goes all down hill. Thank you.
  • AudrasAlly
    Options
    Work on planning meals each day. Have sensible snacks available to you at all times - in the car, in your desk at work, in the kitchen sitting in a cute bowl - you have to be able to grab those when you are hungry, and they have to be appealing.

Give yourself a few options - something sweet (fruit packs), something salty (sweet and salty nature valley bars), apple, banana, peanut butter crackers, anything that will keep you from blowing it.

I know that you can do it - just be ready!

And my reward - going to bed at night knowing that my calories didn't go in the red! :)
  • Soozie1978
    Soozie1978 Posts: 138 Member
    Options

If you know you are going out to eat, you can look up the nutrition information for the restaurant before you go. That way you know what you are eating and can set aside the calories you need to eat it.

Another thing you can do is work out. If you find yourself having just blown your calorie goal for the day, hit the gym or go for a run/walk/bike ride. You may not be able to burn off everything you ate, but you can reduce the impact of your slip-up on your overall goals.

This! I have looked at the online menus of most of our usual haunts or calculated by ingredients as best I can, so when we go out, even spur of the moment, I know pretty much what I'm going to order. I often don't even look at the menu. Another trick is to ask for a to go box and put half your meal in it before you start. Then you have lunch tomorrow already packed! Or split with another family member.

For me, I do best when I plan ahead. Sometimes my plan will change, but at least its a guideline. I also keep healthy snacks at work and in my purse, just in case!
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragement everyone!! I love all the great tips!! I have had two very good days on track!! Whoo Hoo!!
  • pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This may sound crazy but exercise is what motivates me. Fun stuff like skiing, snow shoeing, hiking with friends, long walks, fun workout classes, biking. I look forward to that time and it clears my head and keeps me on track mentally and physically. Good luck on your journey.