Too much Protein!

Options
I keep going over my allowance by 50-70, will this have a big effect my weight loss?

Replies

• 0AmyMarie0
    Options
    I have been going over too and asked the same question. Hopefully we get some answers soon! Good luck.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is dictated by a deficit not necessarily a particular macro. Protein requirements when in a deficit are higher than when maintaining weight and higher again if someone is active whether in a deficit or not, so i would imagine your protein has been dictated by MFP which is based on FDA, which generally is thought to be too low and much too general. I wouldn't worry about it.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    Options
    If anything raise the protein allowance. In short, no it won't hurt you at all.
  • Mateo1985
    Options
    MFP set a very small amount for protein. I'd aleast double it. I'm sure a lot of people will say the same thing.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No. MFP's default for protein (15% of total calories) is dreadfully low and downright pitiful if you're doing any type of strength training at all (and you should be).

To customize your macro percentages go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes. I recommend lowering your carbs and fat and increasing your protein. While you're there, lower your sodium to 1800-2200 mg and increase your fiber to at least 25g.

I have my macros set to 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat. Some like a lower carb diet and do 40/40/20. If you're lifting heavy weights 3x per week (hopefully you are), a better range for protein is 30-40%. After making your adjustments, stick with it for at least one month before making further adjustments.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    No. MFP's default for protein (15% of total calories) is dreadfully low and downright pitiful if you're doing any type of strength training at all (and you should be).

To customize your macro percentages go to My Home>>Goals>>Change Goals>>Custom. Save your changes. I recommend lowering your carbs and fat and increasing your protein. While you're there, lower your sodium to 1800-2200 mg and increase your fiber to at least 25g.

I have my macros set to 50/30/20 carbs/protein/fat. Some like a lower carb diet and do 40/40/20. If you're lifting heavy weights 3x per week (hopefully you are), a better range for protein is 30-40%. After making your adjustments, stick with it for at least one month before making further adjustments.

^^This.
    Even if you're not lifting (shame on you), protein in the 30-40% range will go a long way to keeping you fuller, longer. I do cardio and strength 4x a week and have mine set to 35P/35C/30F. And yes, up the fiber.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options

This
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Reset the default...MFP is set for a setting that has your carbs way to high. I use a 40c/30p/30f I don't always meet it, but at least I have a better balance that really helps with the weight loss. I do a ton of cardio with strength mixed in and the protein is key to recovery and building lean muscles.

Never worry about too much protein unless you are on some crazy liquid protein diet...those things are dangerous.
  • InsaneMontae
    InsaneMontae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    MFP's protein pars are set real low first of all.. And protein can actually aid in weight loss!! Protein takes a longer time to digest which keeps your body burning calories breaking it down also keeps you fuller longer so you will eat less!! hope this helps!!:wink::wink: :wink:
  • seapard
    seapard Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I customized my settings to reflect what my personal trainer had advised me -- 1.4g or protein per kilogram you weight. It's not startlingly higher than what MFP had suggested for me, but the adjustment bumped my recommended protein intake to 98g/30%.
  • lizdelcarmen
    lizdelcarmen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For weight loss my trainers tell me take 1 gram of protein per pound... if your trying to build muscle then 1.25X pounds ...For example I am 117 pounds and I take 150 grams of protein a day... MFP has pretty low settings for protein in general.