I have not lost a pound - and iota been a month

Options
2»

Replies

• Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Like you I have now opened up my food journal. I have been eating some of my exercise calories which I may have to rethink. I am almost 49 and going through some hormone changes - I hate to think that weight gain is just a natural and unavoidable consequence!

While the hormonal changes make things tough, you're not helping yourself by averaging 1,000 - 1200 calories a day. Your goal should be to lose about a half a pound a week, no more. Take it slow. You're not overweight, so cutting too many calories will result in more muscle/bone loss than actual fat loss.

You should be eating about 250 calories below your TDEE.

TDEE calculator:

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Just by doing a rough estimate, swissmiss, I'm guessing you would have more effective weight loss eating about 1700 calories a day.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Interesting, swissmiss. I'm 50 and in exactly the same hormonal boat as you... I haven't been able to lose in over a year, but I still refuse to believe that this is how it has to be.
  • sabinecbauer
    Options
    sabine the best thing to do IMO is choose one strategy and stick with it awhile, at least 3 weeks or so, to see whether it's working before you switch. You won't be able to tell whether eating back your calories is working or not unless you give it a decent amount of time. Also make sure you're logging both food and exercise as accurately as possible and taking measurements. Stick with it!

Thanks for this. I've not been eating back *all* exercise calories according to the fitness tracker here--seems to me that the program is being overly optimistic in its allocation of calories burned :wink: --but I've been eating back some. I'll stick with that then.
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Maybe you don't have much to lose? I know once I got closer to goal it has been a ridiculously slow process. I'm over 50 and I think that has something to do with it.
  • mboutselis
    mboutselis Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • sabinecbauer
    Options
    Maybe you don't have much to lose? I know once I got closer to goal it has been a ridiculously slow process. I'm over 50 and I think that has something to do with it.

At 157 lbs I'm within spitting distance of my normal weight range, but I want to get back down to my ideal weight, which is 130 lbs. I've been there before all this menopausal rubbish started (four years ago), but since then I've been fighting a losing battle against the pounds (and those are strictly holiday and vacation pounds) that crept on because no sane human being can go on dieting non-stop for the rest of her life.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat, the diary shows a lot of food that is low fat and needs to be processed to remove said fat.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Interesting, swissmiss. I'm 50 and in exactly the same hormonal boat as you... I haven't been able to lose in over a year, but I still refuse to believe that this is how it has to be.

I''m 54 and have been done with the whole menopause thing for several years. I''m still losing, although slowly. I have to really work hard when exercising to lose. HIIT and weight training have been key for me.