Why am hungry so quickly after eating?

Options
This has been happening to me a lot lately. I ate breakfast at 9:30 which consisted of granola, whole milk, blueberries, a cup of coffee and 20 ounces of water. It's nearly 11 a.m. and I can hear my stomach growling and feel like I haven't ate anything in days! I try to snack on healthy things, like a handful of nuts or an apple, but it doesn't satisfy my growling stomach and intense hunger.

I haven't been working out nearly as much as I was this summer. I am now "maintaining" my weight with 1600-1700 calories a day. I've actually gained 2 lbs back.

Anyone in the same boat? Any suggestions on foods that could keep me fuller, longer?

Thanks!

ETA: This doesn't just happen with breakfast. I'll eat 400-500 calories for lunch and then around the same, if not more, for dinner and get extremely hungry an hour or two afterwards. Thanks for the all the suggestions, I am going to try to add more protein to my diet.

Replies

• alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    protein keeps you full for a long time
  • EddieG77
    EddieG77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Same thing with me!!! It is frustrating as hell.....perhaps changing things up by going over your allotted calories and then back down to normal.....like a pig out day???
  • CharityEaton
    Options
    protein! add a hard boiled egg to that breakfast and it will help.
  • mikibeth
    mikibeth Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not enough protein. I'd be hungry after eating that too. What keeps me fuller longer is protein!
  • Moonblood
    Moonblood Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I did not know that, thank you. I will try to find more protein rich foods to eat as snacks.

MFP has my goal at 60, most days I am at that or over. Yesterday I was nearly over by 50.
  • SISDONNAK
    SISDONNAK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Veggies are full of water and I find when I throw an extra 'salad' into my diet, I am fuller longer. I'm not a big 'water' drinker so I need to compensate like this. When I'm 'eating' psychologically I'm fuller than when I drink the water.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    you definitely need to get some more protein in your breakfast, try greek yogurt or eggbeaters. you can also try eating 5-6 smaller meals, which i have been doing and is working really well.

also, if you get a hunger craving and it isn't time to eat, chew some gum. sometimes you're just craving the feeling of eating but don't really need food.
  • msmimi
    msmimi Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I don't eat cold cereal just for that reason. It never fills me up. Hot cereals like oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.. really stick with me. If I have a little extra time an omelet stuffed with veggies and a slice of toast has staying power as well :smile:
  • Moonblood
    Options
    protein! add a hard boiled egg to that breakfast and it will help.

That is such a fabulous idea!!! Thank you! I am going to try this tomorrow morning and see!
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options

I did not know that, thank you. I will try to find more protein rich foods to eat as snacks.

MFP has my goal at 60, most days I am at that or over. Yesterday I was nearly over by 50.

You should be eating your body weight in protein. You can't have too much of it.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The only food that does this to me is oatmeal, at first I feel full and content but after an hour or so I'm starving,
  • Moonblood
    Options
    you definitely need to get some more protein in your breakfast, try greek yogurt or eggbeaters. you can also try eating 5-6 smaller meals, which i have been doing and is working really well.

also, if you get a hunger craving and it isn't time to eat, chew some gum. sometimes you're just craving the feeling of eating but don't really need food.

I love Greek yogurt! I usually have some in the PM as a snack to curb my before bed hunger. I'll definitely try it in the morning with my granola or with eggs. Yum! I am loving all the suggestions I am getting.

The gum suggestion really works! But lately it's true hunger, my stomach talks really loud at me! LOL
  • Moonblood
    Options
    The only food that does this to me is oatmeal, at first I feel full and content but after an hour or so I'm starving,

Oatmeal does the same for me!
  • StrugglingtoMove
    StrugglingtoMove Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal, any advice on exercise in the beginning?
  • Moonblood
    Options

You should be eating your body weight in protein. You can't have too much of it.

I did not know this! So for each pound, I should have a gram? I think I'll manually change this on my goals.
  • runnergirlmd
    Options
    Absolutely protein. I have also heard that having the largest meal as breakfast helps the rest of the day. And don't forget fiber!!
  • ThePinkPachyderm
    Options
    14020091.jpg
  • Moonblood
    Options
    Congrats on meeting your goal, any advice on exercise in the beginning?

Thank you!

My advice... you just have to do it no matter what! I am the worst when it comes to motivating myself to work out. But look at this way, if you take 30 minutes out of your day, every day, you'll see results and feel accomplished and fabulous. Imagine if you took those 30 minutes and watched TV and snacked on some chips. I kept thinking to myself "If I do this TODAY, in a year from now I'll be so grateful!" it really worked.

I did Jillian Micheal's DVD's and did at least 30 minutes of walking a day and on the weekend 1-2 hour walks.
  • Moonblood
    Options
    14020091.jpg

Not sure what a TUMA is. lol

But I figured my body wanted me to eat more, but I guess... I was stumped on what to eat more of! This happens at meals where I am eating 600 calories in a sitting.
  • ThePinkPachyderm
    Options

Not sure what a TUMA is. lol

Tuma = the Arnold Schwarzenegger "pronunciation spelling" of tumor .... guess you have to be a Kindergarten Cop fan ... or an Arnold fan to get that ... but trust me .. it's funny and informative