Low calorie diet? Or low carb diet?

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    From my understanding, low carb works for people with insulin resistance but it's not necessary for healthy people. I could never do low carb myself. I prefer a balanced diet. I just don't eat excessive calories and I'm fine. I lost weight easily and have maintained for several months while enjoying carbs and foods of all kinds. No one can separate me from my pasta!!! :drinker:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    I try to eat a calorie deficit reflecting a one pound weekly weight loss while balancing macros 25% Fat, 50% Carb and 25% Protein.
    Just keep it simple and straight forward.

No gimmicks, fad diets or bozo philosophies.
    MFP makes is easy.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    hpsnickers, thanks for your post. I have not tried paleo yet, but I'm very interested in learning more. I've had results similar to yours following strict low-carb (not paleo), but paleo sounds like somehting I'd enjoy eating more.

You're welcome. Check out Primal Blueprint (Marks' Daily Apple). I have turned that site inside out. It's basically the same as Paleo but a little more lenient (we do live in a modern world). And it started out as an experiment for me - I wasn't expecting what I got.
    I'm not 100% and sugar has been one hell of a battle. Believe me I still crave it - fat helps blunt the cravings. It's getting easier, though.
    I have heard so many times from people "I'm not giving up my bread". "Depriving myself just makes me want it more." Sounds like addiction to me.

Atkins and South Beach and the Zone still push processed foods. These are fad diets. My mom started Weight Watchers 20 or more years ago and she still has to follow it to maintain her weight (which isn't working anymore).
    Primal/Paleo is not a "fad" diet. What happened? Since when did eating real, whole, non-processed foods (all grains must be processed to be edible - and our bodies do not digest them properly) become a fad? And when did eating food from a box that is nothing more than cardboard with some fat, sugar, salt and chemicals thrown in to make it taste good become healthy?
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I do a modified low-carb diet. Because really, "low-carb" can mean a daily intake of 10-20g of carbs a day (Atkins style) or 85-100g a day which is what I do. I aim to get my carbs from Veggies and fruit first, then whole grains (brown rice, quinoa), and very lastly processed grains and refined sugar (cheat meals) because I've decided not to have any restrictions. I will eat 100% whole grain tortilla or slice of bread once or twice a week to keep from going into the "restriction, must have now!!" mindset.

For the most part I'm not hungry, not craving sugar or breads(former sugar-fiend here) and consistently losing weight so it works for me. I am going to try going Primal once I finish up my bag of quinoa.

I whole-heartedly believe that sugar from non-fruit sources and refined carbs are the devil when it comes to weight-loss, and I stand by that belief :D
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    I have heard so many times from people "I'm not giving up my bread". "Depriving myself just makes me want it more." Sounds like addiction to me.

I used to be one of those people, and really it is an addiction, but one that can be broken, which is hard to see when you're that addicted to it. Once you stop eating it and your body gets acclimated to going without it, addiction broken in a lot of cases.

That being said, I can't imagine life without cheese. Is the Primal diet somewhat cheese-friendly? When I look it up I get long articles about cheese and the primal diet and don't feel like reading through it all right now
  • Lo carb - i crave protein most of the time and veggies carbs make it harder for me to lose the weight
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    I thrive on low carb diet.

35% of adults in the USA have insulin resistance and 93% of them don't even know it.
  • hpsnickers1

35% of adults in the USA have insulin resistance and 93% of them don't even know it.

And 20% of diabetics out there are thin. My guess is there are much more because most doctors won't check blood sugar in a thin person. You see, most doctors think diabetes is caused by overeating and being lazy. But the insulin/blood sugars issues start long before the weight gain.
  • grinch031

And 20% of diabetics out there are thin. My guess is there are much more because most doctors won't check blood sugar in a thin person. You see, most doctors think diabetes is caused by overeating and being lazy. But the insulin/blood sugars issues start long before the weight gain.

Most of the people are still in the 'prediabetes' phase. Low-carb diets would certainly benefit a lot of the obese out there.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I do agree that to lose weight calories matter. But if you drop the carbs and increase your protein and healthy fats (not commercial PUFA oils but butter, coconut oil, olive oil, animal fat) you won't have to worry about calories because carbs keep you hungry and wanting more every couple of hours. Protein and fat will keep you full and satisfied for much longer - it's a spontaneous restriction of calories. It happens without trying.

So people won't overeat, as long as they restrict carbs? Or you won't overeat if you restrict carbs?
    If you want to lose weight then restrict your calories. But if you want to lose weight, maintain weight, get healthy and not have to suffer a downward spiral of health that consists of accumulating prescriptions then go Primal.
    (and I don't mean low carb processed food. You must eat real, whole food).

Yeah, cause you can't be healthy and eat decent amounts of carbs
  • shannonmelek
    shannonmelek Posts: 34 Member
    I really appreciate all the responses! I'm still debating!!! on what I should do!
  • hpsnickers1

I used to be one of those people, and really it is an addiction, but one that can be broken, which is hard to see when you're that addicted to it. Once you stop eating it and your body gets acclimated to going without it, addiction broken in a lot of cases.

That being said, I can't imagine life without cheese. Is the Primal diet somewhat cheese-friendly? When I look it up I get long articles about cheese and the primal diet and don't feel like reading through it all right now

Yes it sure is. Look up Primal Blueprint or Mark's Daily Apple. Go to "Start Here" at the top. About mid-way down the page there is a paragraph about Primal Blueprint 101 - this has tons of articles regarding the lifestyle - he discusses dairy. If you can tolerate it go for it.
    Actually on his home page at the top right corner you can type in 'cheese' or 'dairy' and get search results for articles. You can go to the forums and do the same thing.
  • hpsnickers1

Most of the people are still in the 'prediabetes' phase. Low-carb diets would certainly benefit a lot of the obese out there.

Yes, it would. Obesity is a broken metabolism from a high sugar, highly processed (loaded with PUFA industrial oils) diet (i.e the USDA guideline). I think by the time the word "obese" applies insulin resistance is in full force (insulin resistance starts in the muscles. Obesity is your body trying to fight off diabetes. Some will continue to gain and never get it (these have pancreas that can grow new beta cells). Some will end up diabetic and end up with a doctor that will push insulin on them while telling them to eat a high-carb, low-fat diet.
  • grinch031
    Some will end up diabetic and end up with a doctor that will push insulin on them while telling them to eat a high-carb, low-fat diet.

What better way to get rid of that pesky insulin than to feed it some more glucose?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Yes, it would. Obesity is a broken metabolism from a high sugar, highly processed (loaded with PUFA industrial oils) diet (i.e the USDA guideline). I think by the time the word "obese" applies insulin resistance is in full force (insulin resistance starts in the muscles. Obesity is your body trying to fight off diabetes. Some will continue to gain and never get it (these have pancreas that can grow new beta cells). Some will end up diabetic and end up with a doctor that will push insulin on them while telling them to eat a high-carb, low-fat diet.

"Myth: If you are overweight or obese, you will eventually develop type 2 diabetes.

Fact: Being overweight is a risk factor for developing this disease, but other risk factors such as family history, ethnicity and age also play a role. Unfortunately, too many people disregard the other risk factors for diabetes and think that weight is the only risk factor for type 2 diabetes. Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight. "
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Eating plenty of carbs has not stopped me loosing weight. I prefer low fat x
  • ahjenny
    ahjenny Posts: 293 Member
    I like the high protein, lower carb diet. I'm seeing results and it's nice not having to worry about going over my calories. Plus, my sweet cravings are disappearing, so I'm not tempted to buy or eat desserts these days. That really helps. And I haven't been gorging myself with every meal, which is a big deal because I used to really have a problem with overeating.
  • amandamay71
    amandamay71 Posts: 17 Member
    I am trying to stick toaround 100 g grams intake a day of healthy natural carbs (tomoto's, soya etc)... I find when l eat carbs at breaky wholmeal toast etc l am soo hungry all morning... Since cutting out breads and pasta's l dont get the intense hunger.. Im also eating more protein.. definately worth a try!
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    "studies show...."

Tell me what you believe about nutrition, weight loss and fitness and I'll find a study that backs it up.

So true.....:drinker: and so unfortunate! :grumble:
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    I think the best type of diet is one that will mimic what you intend to do long term. If that is eat like a cavman (or woman) go for the low carb diet. If you want to have a healthy balanced diet long term go for a low calorie diet.